Differences in 351C versus W Dizzy

Differences in 351C versus W Dizzy

August 5th, 2007, 2:07 pm #1

This Winter's project is a Fontana block engine. This will be my first go with this animal and I'm looking forward to it. I now have the long block and was starting to gather up all the rest of the bits and pieces. This will be crank triggered and injected but I wanted to add that after the initial set up and dyno work. So I snagged a couple cam sync MSD distributors on clearance sale but they were advertised as being for a 351w. I figure no biggy bacuase I need a different gear for the roller cam anyway.

I always thought that a W and C distributors were the same (throw in 400, 429, and 460 for that matter) except for the gear. When I questioned the Jegs flunky on the other end of the line, he say's no, totally different. So I call MSD and to my surprise, they say their C cam sync distributor is discontinued? So I hit him with "aren't they the same the W dizzy except for the gear?" .....silence, and then a slow nooooo, they are different. So I then come back with, well the C is the same distributor as the 429 and 460, and you're telling me MSD doesn't have a cam sync for those either? More silence.

I figure here we go again, us 351c guys are being snubbed and forgotten again. So I grab an old Mallory 351c dizzy lay it next to my "W" cam sync and get out the calipers. I see no difference except for the gear. All the body and shaft dimensions are the same.

I have seen in several places on the web where the Fontana calls for a 351w distributor with a 351c gear. So now I'm more confused. Wouldn't that make it a 351c distributor?? Am I missing something???? Aren't they the same except for gear? whatup?

Kelly

Last edited by kcoffield on August 21st, 2007, 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 5th, 2007, 4:31 pm #2

if housing fits, correct gear for the Fontana block. (dont know anything about that block) just install cam and dist. in block, use gear marking compound on dist. gear, read pattern, adjust as needed. works evey time.

August 6th, 2007, 5:31 am #3

This Winter's project is a Fontana block engine. This will be my first go with this animal and I'm looking forward to it. I now have the long block and was starting to gather up all the rest of the bits and pieces. This will be crank triggered and injected but I wanted to add that after the initial set up and dyno work. So I snagged a couple cam sync MSD distributors on clearance sale but they were advertised as being for a 351w. I figure no biggy bacuase I need a different gear for the roller cam anyway.

I always thought that a W and C distributors were the same (throw in 400, 429, and 460 for that matter) except for the gear. When I questioned the Jegs flunky on the other end of the line, he say's no, totally different. So I call MSD and to my surprise, they say their C cam sync distributor is discontinued? So I hit him with "aren't they the same the W dizzy except for the gear?" .....silence, and then a slow nooooo, they are different. So I then come back with, well the C is the same distributor as the 429 and 460, and you're telling me MSD doesn't have a cam sync for those either? More silence.

I figure here we go again, us 351c guys are being snubbed and forgotten again. So I grab an old Mallory 351c dizzy lay it next to my "W" cam sync and get out the calipers. I see no difference except for the gear. All the body and shaft dimensions are the same.

I have seen in several places on the web where the Fontana calls for a 351w distributor with a 351c gear. So now I'm more confused. Wouldn't that make it a 351c distributor?? Am I missing something???? Aren't they the same except for gear? whatup?

Kelly

They are identical. I swap the gear out and drop it in on the other engine... I have several brands and can't tell them apart except for the gear diameter (MSD and Mallory)

August 6th, 2007, 12:45 pm #4

Kelly

Isn't the oil pump drive size different, 5/16 on C vs 1/4 on W?

August 6th, 2007, 2:28 pm #5

FE & 289/302 are 1/4 BB,C,W 5/16 lot of msd gears or not installed right, best to always check

August 7th, 2007, 5:27 am #6

Isn't the oil pump drive size different, 5/16 on C vs 1/4 on W?
351W is the same as 351C for oil pump. See Dan's post above
Last edited by allenman on August 7th, 2007, 5:27 am, edited 1 time in total.