best transmission to run for bracket racing

best transmission to run for bracket racing

June 12th, 2011, 10:23 pm #1

Alright I would like some suggestions on what tranny to run in my bracket raced 427 clevor mustang, 550hp to the wheels, run 10.20s with the c4, but I am tired of breaking it, should I change to a different one. I would just like to have a reliable transmission and not have to worry about it. thanks for any help

June 12th, 2011, 10:39 pm #2

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

June 12th, 2011, 11:53 pm #3

pa automatic red clutch kit, pa power planetary, pa bellhousing, tci tranbrake valve body, pa servo, deep pan

June 13th, 2011, 12:03 am #4

You've done about all you can do to the C4.....sounds like you need something bigger. A C6 is heavy, but very stout and I doubt that you'd ever break a built one. You can also get TH400 adapters as well as PG adapters.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

June 13th, 2011, 2:17 am #5

pa automatic red clutch kit, pa power planetary, pa bellhousing, tci tranbrake valve body, pa servo, deep pan
It sounds like you have decent parts. Well, except for the the TCI stuff. It don't like TCI anything.

What exactly is the failure?

If you are burning clutches, which is common for C4s, you can add clutches to the pack. By adding two clutches to the high gear clutch pack you add 50% capacity to the holding power. It's a very good upgrade for your power level.

It's also very important to have proper hydraulic pressure. If the TCI valve body isn't making enough pressure it can burn up clutches. What is your pressure?

How much clutch pack clearance do you have?

June 13th, 2011, 2:31 am #6

You've done about all you can do to the C4.....sounds like you need something bigger. A C6 is heavy, but very stout and I doubt that you'd ever break a built one. You can also get TH400 adapters as well as PG adapters.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

A fully rollerized c6 is a good way to go with about the same hp robbing as c4.There is also an outfit in Ontario Canada who has a stout aod trans that uses the same amount of hp or less than c4 at a reasonable price.I have a buddy who is putting one behind his Hemi dodge (800hp).Just google up Lentech and you will see what they have to offer.

June 13th, 2011, 2:54 am #7

It sounds like you have decent parts. Well, except for the the TCI stuff. It don't like TCI anything.

What exactly is the failure?

If you are burning clutches, which is common for C4s, you can add clutches to the pack. By adding two clutches to the high gear clutch pack you add 50% capacity to the holding power. It's a very good upgrade for your power level.

It's also very important to have proper hydraulic pressure. If the TCI valve body isn't making enough pressure it can burn up clutches. What is your pressure?

How much clutch pack clearance do you have?
Im not sure what is broke this time, but I will remove it monday night and tear it down and have it all checked by my tranny guy, Im thinking its a v-body problem, I ran a pa trans-brake valve body in the first 3 that I had redone and later found out it had a warped case, so I bought a TCI, worked good for 3 meets, but the last two the solinoid has had some issues and now i have no forward gears, thinking of just putting a normal reverse pattern valve body in it, so I dont have to have that stupid solinoid. thanks for the input and the tranny also has the pro-pump

June 13th, 2011, 3:08 am #8

A C4 can be a good tranny if built by the right guy, if you want a good c4 talk to Jay at Broader performance. TCI don't have a great reputation! if you have the Pro Compatition tranny from PA It is suposed to stand 1000 hp.
If your bracket racing there are alot of guys going to the Glid because they say it only gives them one chance to screw up.

June 13th, 2011, 2:16 pm #9

That is correct. Not just anyone can build a C4 correctly. If you have continual failures, it's more than likely because your builder doesn't know all the tricks. It's not just a matter of purchasing cool parts and slapping it together. You have to know some tricks that are common C4 problem areas. If these problems are addressed, a C4 can stand up to a lot of power.

An example: A guy builds a real stout, high rev Cleveland but doesn't do any mods to the oiling system. chances are it's going to burn some bearing at some point. If these points were addressed at the start, the Cleveland can live a long time.

C4s are the same way but if you don't know the tricks, you will continually have problems. If you get a builder that knows C4s, your problems will go away. Jay at Broader Performance is very good with C4s and can build it or sell you the parts with great tech support to back them up. Don't waste you time with TCI. PA is ok but tech support is not as good. They just want you to send them the trans.

June 13th, 2011, 4:20 pm #10

i notice that all the PA transmissions use a cast pan that helps to strengthen the case

http://www.performanceautomatic.com/pro ... smissions/

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing