Best racing intake for a cleveland

Best racing intake for a cleveland

July 16th, 2011, 11:11 am #1

Hi,
Looking for some advise on the best single carb intake to suit a race only clevo.
My engine is 370 cubes, high port 4v's with no intake tongues or fillers.
Need something good for 8500 rpm on alcohol, possibly with 950 cfm or bigger carb.
I have seen Scott Cooks dyno results, but I am unsure if those manifolds are still available.
Also what deck height is a cleveland block?
Thanks
Rod

July 16th, 2011, 1:36 pm #2

The deck height is usually right at 9.2 give or take a little. Your going to get alot of different answers as far as intakes go. I like the CHI 4V intake for 4V iron heads. It is for a stuffed port head though. If your running a high port head, 4V modified, maybe you can make a Yates intake work. I tried it with my 4V CC heads, but just couldn't make it work due to the location of the ports. Hope this helps.

Eddie

July 16th, 2011, 10:35 pm #3

Hi,
Looking for some advise on the best single carb intake to suit a race only clevo.
Need something good for 8500 rpm on alcohol, possibly with 950 cfm or bigger carb.
I have seen Scott Cooks dyno results, but I am unsure if those manifolds are still available.
Thanks
Rod
just to clarify, you have factory 4V iron heads with full volume intake ports, and with port plates on the exhaust?

rumor has it that the all time 'best' drag intake is the Holley Strip Dominator but some combos prefer the Edelbrock Torker or Scorpion(same as Torker with a 1" taller plenum)

the Holley is said to be a little softer on the low end but takes over on the big end, a 'higher strung' combo would use the Strip Dommy better than a combo that needs some dig in the low end(under 4k?)

published spec is 9.206" on the deck height

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing

July 16th, 2011, 11:32 pm #4

Hi,
Thanks
Rod
the 950 has an 850 baseplate with 1.75 throttles and a 750 body with 1.375 venturis . an 850 has 1.5 venturis and ,as mentioned earlier , 1.75 throttles . see what I'm getting at ?

that's right man we got mills that'll blow that heap of yours right off the road .

July 17th, 2011, 12:19 am #5

Oviously there is the TFC and Funnelweb ones, but there is a lot of talk (downunder) of the new AFD released manifolds, both 2V and 4V.

The 4V suits the 4V heads with filled ports like the TFC stuffers. I havn't tried one but thought i'd throw it out there.

[/IMG]

July 19th, 2011, 2:06 am #6

The deck height is usually right at 9.2 give or take a little. Your going to get alot of different answers as far as intakes go. I like the CHI 4V intake for 4V iron heads. It is for a stuffed port head though. If your running a high port head, 4V modified, maybe you can make a Yates intake work. I tried it with my 4V CC heads, but just couldn't make it work due to the location of the ports. Hope this helps.

Eddie
I would say with the rpm you want to spin the Strip Dommy is probably your best bang for the buck.If you can find the newer svo intakes on the 9.2 deck they are also great upper end manifolds.I have dynoed the newer intakes against the Strip and it still makes the most peak hp?

July 22nd, 2011, 6:26 am #7

Oviously there is the TFC and Funnelweb ones, but there is a lot of talk (downunder) of the new AFD released manifolds, both 2V and 4V.

The 4V suits the 4V heads with filled ports like the TFC stuffers. I havn't tried one but thought i'd throw it out there.

[/IMG]
so are your ports stock 4V ?

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing

July 22nd, 2011, 3:02 pm #8

Tinman I dont know what it is about the raised intakes but they seem to bring up the torque of the engine.The older intakes seem to get more peak hp but the newer intakes bring up the torque through the whole rpm range?Which in a heavier vehicle would be a bonus I guess.I don't know why but from dynoing I have seen it and others I know have said the same.There is a local mini mod tractor puller around here that used the old Yates manifold on a 400 cc4v iron head motor and he seen the exact same thing.They used that combo with good success.

July 22nd, 2011, 7:39 pm #9

yeah it's always made sense to me, the smaller cross section causes higher velocity through the tunnel, low & mid rpm torque & throttle response improves with almost no downside until you get into Max effort combos, even then with modern heads the '3V' ports make competetive power

it's probable that most '7/8 effort' non-pro built combos will show more under the curve with a raised floor intake on 4V heads than with a Strip Dommy or even a Torker but for an "8500 rpm on alcohol" 4V combo(a Lot of air and a Lot of fuel) i'd want full flow

depends upon what the OP's definition of 'best' is, highest Max numbers, most tq/hp under the curve, lowest ET, best consistency... i think Smokey said it best, one test is worth a thousand epert opinions

now you have me hot to run my Funnelweb on unfilled 4V's Doh!

Last edited by tinman351 on July 22nd, 2011, 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 22nd, 2011, 10:47 pm #10

My heads retain the std intake port in every way.
The only mods are on the exhaust side.
Currently I use a Wieand 1994 tunnel ram with 2 x 750 on Alky.
I have now had 2 guys, both experienced engine builder / racers, (but Chevy guys) suggest my car would be quicker with 1 carb over 2.
Since I posted here I have spoken with 2 of the best carb guys in the game and they have both told me the opposite.
Both have told me that 2 correctly set up carbs will be quicker than 1, your thoughts?