Altec 417 speakers

Altec 417 speakers

Jim Sams
Jim Sams

May 24th, 2008, 1:39 pm #1

Has anyone used the old Atlec 417 12" speakers in a guitar amp?
I have some sort of low wattage (25 or 30) Weber curently in my 35 watt combo but it really lays down way too early.
Anyone of you moneybags tried the Celestion "Gold" speaker yet?

buddymac
buddymac

May 29th, 2008, 10:32 am #2

Jim you gotta be talking bout joe...presently, I have one Strat, a 30 dollar amp and a jack that needs fixin, but I have them magic fingers that trancends all... Static be damned!

Cheers, Alex

P.S. If I ever sober up the chilling reality will set in and I'll bum a few of them "Golds" off joe,
in the meantime...Try the Altecs. I remember 35 years ago tossing anything I could get my hands on in my Vox Scorpion...if ya know what I mean?

Jim Sams
Jim Sams

May 30th, 2008, 2:42 am #3

I had a 15" Altec of the same type as the 417 in a Tweed Pro Cabinet.
IT sounded great.
I might give an old 417 a try.

buddymac
buddymac

May 30th, 2008, 2:54 pm #4

I don't thing there is any gospel of caculus for tone...if it sounds good, it sounds good! And good is what sounds good to you;)

Best of luck with it, Cheers

Jim Sams
Jim Sams

August 15th, 2008, 12:42 am #5

What do you guys think of boogie Black Shadow speakers?
I swapped out the crappy Weber Alnico 12" for a used Black Shadow.
I think it really helped the amp a ton.
The Weber speaker must be super lame....it sounded weak and puny.
I got a "deal" on it several years ago, installed it and then sort of stopped playing for a while. I plugged the amp up several months ago and it didn't have the tone I remember. It must have been the speaker.
Now I just have the Black Face goodness I want.....

August 15th, 2008, 3:33 am #6

It worked well in an amp with two EL84s that was built for overdrive. If you are looking for big & solid it ain't gonna work to well. Jensens and clones work well when driven hard with distortion. I love a C12Q in my BFDR.

describe the Black Shadow? Tighter? Deeper? Big ass magnet? What amp is this?

TIME Magazine's 2006 Man of the Year

Jim Sams
Jim Sams

August 15th, 2008, 12:25 pm #7

I think this is one of the old Black shadows that was sort of half celestion and half EV.
Huge magnet, maybe 8".
It just sounds big and clear with the Boogie speaker. The weber I think is a 15 watt version. It sounded weak and muddy.
The amp started out with some sort of silverface fender chassis, with a custom face plate.
The interior looks like an all new construction on a fiber board. It is mostly a deluxe reverb preamp section with a cathode biased EL-34 output section (tube rectifier).
Maybe it puts out 35 watts. It was built by a local guy named Steve Sinnicks.

August 16th, 2008, 6:41 pm #8

If so, it would probably sound better with 6V6s, either fixed bias or cathode biased.

Jim Sams
Jim Sams

August 17th, 2008, 11:11 pm #9

I think it is something like a Vibroluxe transformer....
I'll look and see if I can read the manufacturer and part number....

August 18th, 2008, 7:18 pm #10

I have the impression you like a tight, big sound. Maybe you like to play clean and right on the edge of breakup? You might like a set of GE 6L6s with fixed bias. It will have a firmer and deeper bottom than the EL34s, more snap, more spank.