A sonic test comparison?

A sonic test comparison?

August 10th, 2011, 6:40 pm #1

How thick is a roller block 302 compared to a cleveland?

August 13th, 2011, 12:23 am #2

August 13th, 2011, 1:28 am #3

The last Cleveland block I checked didn't make me feel comfortable about doing anymore than a .010-.020" overbore. Thinnest spot on the thrust side was around .120" if I remember correctly.

Windsor blocks for the most part will take .030-.040" overbore without an issue. I wish I had one here to check for you, but it's pretty safe to say that even the newer 5.0 blocks would be thicker than a Cleveland block.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

August 13th, 2011, 2:49 am #4

http://www.network54.com/Forum/119419/t ... d+a+95+302

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing

August 13th, 2011, 12:27 pm #5

because in boosted application the roller block has been known to handle up to 30lbs @ about 700 hp with out any problems. I 'm wanting to put 20-25lbs of boost into a cleve and see how long it would jive for. I think the mains AND possibly the MA crank could handle it. I've heard of a cleve with 15lbs of boost that has not had any problems. By the way I wanted to thank you Brent for all the input you've put in this web site lately. This a special group of people.(I don't know if we are short bus special or an elite group)I fall under the short bus category. Thanks again

August 13th, 2011, 12:49 pm #6

I can show you several pictures of 302 blocks that have split in half from the cam tunnel down, all around the 500-550hp range. I wouldn't trust one to a large amount of boost or a large amount of naturally aspirated horsepower. Guys like to run valley girdles and main girdles, but all they do is keep the pieces together when they split....ROFL

The aftermarket blocks will take a pounding, but the factory blocks are a crap shoot when it comes to strength.

I've never been a forced induction kinda guy and have always preferred naturally aspirated engines.

How much would a turbo/supercharger kit run you that would put out that much boost? Would it be cheaper to do a stroker kit?

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

August 13th, 2011, 5:12 pm #7

How thick is a roller block 302 compared to a cleveland?
any other 302's are not as good .

the older ones are thicker than the new ones ,try to stick with a 60's block .

in the seventies they were all over the place , in the eighties they made one so thin overall that they would sometimes , momentarily , release their grip on the main bearings ! this was a big deal for ford because they couldnt figure out why. when they tore these engines down they couldn't find anything. had to call in some outside help to do the sleuthing on that one .

the flathead is the one you want it had walls around .340 !

that's right man we got mills that'll blow that heap of yours right off the road .

August 13th, 2011, 5:32 pm #8

because in boosted application the roller block has been known to handle up to 30lbs @ about 700 hp with out any problems. I 'm wanting to put 20-25lbs of boost into a cleve and see how long it would jive for. I think the mains AND possibly the MA crank could handle it. I've heard of a cleve with 15lbs of boost that has not had any problems. By the way I wanted to thank you Brent for all the input you've put in this web site lately. This a special group of people.(I don't know if we are short bus special or an elite group)I fall under the short bus category. Thanks again
from a turbo on 351 inches, you'll probably be around the 1000-1100hp mark. For 700hp, 15-18psi will get you there. Supercharger will require a bit more boost.
I'd be very surprised if you could put 20+psi to a stock cleveland block and not have it end up in bits and pieces. Maybe with a full fill or 8 sleeves. But the main webs are not very stout, comparable to windsors.. and typically 750hp is the most you'd want to push on an early 351w block, although some have got away with more. I'm not sure about roller block strength, although I don't think they are too much different from late 351w blocks.
302, in any stock form other than Boss, I wouldn't trust over 500hp.
Why did you choose a boost goal instead of a power goal?
Last edited by duplox on August 13th, 2011, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.