4R70W swap. Started today.

4R70W swap. Started today.

June 9th, 2012, 3:55 am #1

Started today switching out my C4 for a 4r70w transmission. Been awhile for me on taking on such a project. I forgot what a pain it is to get the Headders off the car. Took me longer to get them off then it did to get the C4 out. Before I could start putting in the 4r70w I had to rotate the Shift arm 180 so I could use my factory shifter. Looked it up on the web it looked easy enough to do. My luck the guy who put the transmission together must have had big arms or a big wrench to put on the Nut that holds the shift arm. Took everything I had to get the nut lose and when it did wrenchs went flying and my hand went into the gear slector gears. A few choice words later the lever was rotated and everything put back together on the pan. Ended there had to go clean out and bandage up a couple fingers. Tomorrow part 2 new day.

1969 Mach 1 Mustang.
388 Cleveland.
3.89 rear gears. Hopefully soon to be driving at a much lower rpm.

June 9th, 2012, 11:15 pm #2

Much better day then yesterday. Had to cut the tabs on the front of the transmission. Headders will have problems im told if you leave them on.
routed the wiring from inside the car to the outside. Removed the old transmission lines and cooler. Putting on new lines and flushing out the cooler good. Put the torque convertor in the transmission and made sure it was seated. Had to stop today and call Joe who sold me the trans mount and linkage for the shifter and range sensor relocation bracket. On the Optishift controller there are 3 white wires for the neutral safety switch, back up lights and ignition. Car has never had any of this plugged into the transmission. Its all in the shifter. Called joe to see if I had to hook that up. didnt want to wrap up the wires and find out it was a needed thing. Dont look like I need them. Car has that already and transmission will fuction fine w/o that hooked up. Drive shaft shops were closed today. Monday is the soonest I can get the shaft done. After I get he wires wrapped and put in a good location I will hook the transmission up. New Day Tomorrow. Part 3 then.

June 13th, 2012, 12:41 am #3

Went good got the transmission in the car. wires hooked up. Had to work monday and tuesday. Day 4 will be wednesday. Install drive shaft and figue out what im going to do for exhaust. Hooker super comps dont fit with this transmission.

June 18th, 2012, 9:28 pm #4

Started today switching out my C4 for a 4r70w transmission. Been awhile for me on taking on such a project. I forgot what a pain it is to get the Headders off the car. Took me longer to get them off then it did to get the C4 out. Before I could start putting in the 4r70w I had to rotate the Shift arm 180 so I could use my factory shifter. Looked it up on the web it looked easy enough to do. My luck the guy who put the transmission together must have had big arms or a big wrench to put on the Nut that holds the shift arm. Took everything I had to get the nut lose and when it did wrenchs went flying and my hand went into the gear slector gears. A few choice words later the lever was rotated and everything put back together on the pan. Ended there had to go clean out and bandage up a couple fingers. Tomorrow part 2 new day.

1969 Mach 1 Mustang.
388 Cleveland.
3.89 rear gears. Hopefully soon to be driving at a much lower rpm.
Wish I would have caught you before the transmission went in. I'm putting a steel bell on my TKO right now, but I'm also thinking I might go down this AOD road myself one day. It would be nice to have a measurement on the width of the 4r70w for future reference to see if new headers/X-pipe would be needed, but I'm not going to ask anyone to crawl under a car to get it!

I will check back in on this thread later to see how things turn out (ie. driveline angle, any trans tunnel interference, etc.)

Good Luck!

And you probably already know this, but make sure you get that TV cable adjusted right before you drive it so you don't trash the tranny.

-------------------------------------
Doug

June 19th, 2012, 2:58 pm #5

The 4r70w is a bit wider then the C4. I will get some photos and measurements. Hooker super comps will not work because the tubes are right ontop of the transmisson and range sensor. I went full electronic. I am using the Optishift computer to control the 4r70w. Right now im waiting on Sanderson Headers FC4's They are a Shorty header and should make this work for me. I hope. I am going to Powercruise July 13,14 and 15th. So im trying to get the car done before that. Will keep you guys updated.

June 19th, 2012, 11:15 pm #6

Very interested in this discussion. Currently my cougar has a home built AOD. The AOD has been great but I purchased an OPTISHIFT and will be moving to the 4R70W also. Does your 4R70w have any mods besides the shifter Lever?

July 6th, 2012, 2:35 am #7

The headers came on Monday and I did not get them installed until Tuesday.

[/IMG]

Sanderson claims you dont need any gaskets. Yet they want you to use Hi-temp gasket maker on them.

[/IMG]

The reason for the delay on the install. One of the Holes in the header was off enough to make the holes not line up.

[/IMG]

Once it was fixed. The headers went on. I did have to take out the motor mount on each side and tilt the motor each way to reach the bolt holes.

Because I did not finish getting the headers on Monday night. I missed my appointment at the exhaust shop. They can't get me back in until Wednesday next week.

Because the electronics on the transmission are close to the exhaust. I got some thermal tape to reflect the heat off and some header wrap for the exhaust.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Here is a photo of the distance between the frame and the transmission. The 3 inch exhaust has to fit in here.

[/IMG]

Will update more as I can. As for the transmission. It drove out of the garage fine and drove back in. No exhaust. Cant take a road test until I get the exhaust done.

The transmission was built by Jay at Broader Performance. Should handle up to 600hp. I upgraded the stall so I can lock it up in 3rd under full power. I have a O/D shut off double throw switch. Reason for the double throw. When I turn off the O/D the computer should switch to program #2. My race program. The number two program will hold out the shifts longer and shift harder. The 1st program will be my street car program. Overdrive and lock up with softer shifts and more car like for family cruising.

Last edited by built351c on July 6th, 2012, 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 7th, 2012, 12:13 am #8

The project took alot longer then I thought it would. Key things I did was:

1. I ordered my 4r70w(Came with the Optishift controller) from a shop. Did my checking around and found Broader Performance. Talked to Jay about my needs. Very helpful.

2. I ordered my kit from Joe Persad which included. Shift linkage rod (Allows me to keep my orginal shifter in car) , Range sensor relocator, and transmission mount. Worked great just had to rotate the shift linkage 180.

3. Had to have drive shaft shorten 1 3/8 and a 4r70w yoke put on it. Drive shaft shop put it together for me.

4. Used my same fly wheel since it was a 164 tooth and same starter. Bolted right up.

5. Had to buy the Tps (Throttle position sensor) kit from Baumann. It was supposed to work on a holley. I modified it to work on the Mighty demon carb I have. Just had to cut the bracket on the Tps so it would fit around my vacumn ports on the demon.

6. Hooker supercomps would not work. Only shortie headers I could find was Sandersons. Other then the bolt hole problem. Nice set of headers. They got them to me as promised the second time I talked to them. First time they told me they were in stock and would ship the next day... Didnt happen that way. Would buy from again though. They did send new header bolts and the Exhaust flanges for the exhaust with the headers.

7. Had to find a way to hook up the computer to my ignition source. Not to many on a older car. I did not want to splice in wires under the dash. Instead I ordered Painless wiring kit # 70207 Aux.Fuse Block 7 Circuit. Gave me the options I needed for extra switches and my fuel pump.

8. With the Optishift they send you a program to put on a computer. I put it on my lap top. Very helpful in seeing what is going on with the transmission and allows you to customize the transmission with two different program settings. I had a Full throttle error when I first hooked everything up. It turned out the TPS has to be switched up a little bit when its hooked to the carb. You cannot leave it in the neutral position. I found that out when I hooked the lap top to it. Now it works good because its getting a signal from the tps when the throttle is closed and when its full open.

9. Almost forgot had to cut three tabs off the transmission in order for it to fit in the tunnel on my 69 mustang. Sawzall works good for that.

10. Things I still need to do. Hook up the exhaust and fix my speedometor. They do not make a gear for 3.89 will have to use a after market ratio adaptor to correct it.

Will add more later if I can think of it.

Dave.

Last edited by built351c on July 7th, 2012, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 16th, 2012, 1:48 pm #9

After having the weekend to tweak the program. I had to raise the shift points for each gear. The car is running really good. Was nice to go track and just leave it in drive and have the transmission shift it like I would do it by hand. On the freeway at 60mph the car is turning 2100 rpm. Sorry no track times. At powercruise its only 1/8 mile for street drags and you cant do a burn out before you go and no timers. The cruising session was fun. 100mph speed limit and you got to use the 3.1 mile track at brainerd raceway to go round. So I got to open it up at least there and have some fun. When brainerd has another Wednesday night street drags shootout I will go and get some 1/4 mile times. Glad the conversions done. Thanks all Dave.

1969 Mustang Mach 1.
388C 570hp/500lbs @ the crank
91 octane gas.
Traction-Loc with 3.89 gears
4R70W transmission-Wide ratio gear set with 3500 stall
Who says you cant have it all.
Last edited by built351c on July 16th, 2012, 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 18th, 2012, 2:08 pm #10

Just wanted to add I had a problem with a bad vibration at 4gear when the convertor locked up. The issue was caused by the low RPM the car would hit when it shifted and locked up. I was hitting 2000 rpm @ 60mph and the motor being built at it is would lope causing the car to shake. I raised the point at which the car convertor locks up to 70 mph and the issue is much better. Still learning on this set up and thought I would update. Thanks Dave.