408C cam question

408C cam question

March 1st, 2012, 2:44 am #1

Hello all, new to the forum...

This is my first Cleveland build, and I'm trying to do it right the first time, but my brain is beginning to melt from the weeks of research. I'm putting the engine in a 71 mustang that I have owned for almost 20 years, since I was 18. It has always had a tired 302 in it, but now its finally time to give it what it deserves A long time ago, I was just going to build the 2V 351C and throw it in (I had all the machine work done even), but now I make a little more cash and would like to get as fast of a street car as possible out of it. My goal is around 500hp before nos. I plan to put a 150 to 200 hp shot on it, afterwards. Here is a very basic run-down of what I have planned so far:

351C .030 over
scat 408 stroker kit with forged crank, pistons, H-beam rods
edelbrock rpm heads with medium port work
edelbrock air-gap intake
dished pistons with a thick head gasket for about 10:1 CR
Roller rockers (of course)
750cfm holley

My question is what cam should I go with? Its going to be mostly a street machine, but I want it to be a VERY fast street machine, with some track fun once in a while. I'd like to get away without a stall converter, so a low torque and hp rpm range would be great, like maxing out around 6000. Oh, and I will also be pretty tapped out, money wise, by the time this is over, so a roller cam is almost out of the question, unless its absolutely necessary. A good sized Hyd flat tappet would be ideal.

Thanks for the help, and apologies for my noob sauce. Feel free to correct anything on my list also, as I haven't bought any of it yet Changes are an option!

~Mike

Any thoughts on these kits?

COMP Cams K32-242-4 218/224 dur, Lift .513/.520
COMP Cams K34-331-4 .230 dur .530 lift
Last edited by tinman351 on March 5th, 2012, 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 1st, 2012, 9:49 am #3

This is my first Cleveland build, and I'm trying to do it right the first time, but my brain is beginning to melt from the weeks of research. I'm putting the engine in a 71 mustang that I have owned for almost 20 years, since I was 18. It has always had a tired 302 in it, but now its finally time to give it what it deserves A long time ago, I was just going to build the 2V 351C and throw it in (I had all the machine work done even), but now I make a little more cash and would like to get as fast of a street car as possible out of it. My goal is around 500hp before nos. I plan to put a 150 to 200 hp shot on it, afterwards. Here is a very basic run-down of what I have planned so far:

351C .030 over
edelbrock air-gap intake
750cfm holley

My question is what cam should I go with? Its going to be mostly a street machine, but I want it to be a VERY fast street machine, with some track fun once in a while. I'd like to get away without a stall converter, so a low torque and hp rpm range would be great, like maxing out around 6000. Oh, and I will also be pretty tapped out, money wise, by the time this is over, so a roller cam is almost out of the question, unless its absolutely necessary. A good sized Hyd flat tappet would be ideal.

Thanks for the help, and apologies for my noob sauce. Feel free to correct anything on my list also, as I haven't bought any of it yet Changes are an option!

~Mike

...before you try to put 700hp through a factory block.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

March 1st, 2012, 6:28 pm #4

351C .030 over
edelbrock air-gap intake
750cfm holley

~Mike

will your chassis handle 500-700 hp?

not 'will it break' but can it put that much HP to good use?

i can see aiming for 500hp after the spray, if you do decide to go with the consumable power adder method... but a good 400-425hp build will likely end you at about the same place as far as HP to ground transfer will allow, then maybe spend some on the chassis and be faster than you would with more motor alone

the 'bigger build' may end up leaving the streetable power band under the table and the top end not usable, once the chassis is max'd an alky burning Top Fuel engine won't help any except maybe at Bonneville

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing

March 1st, 2012, 10:01 pm #5

If your looking at 400 plus hp, the Scott Cook or Blue Thunder intake may be a better bet than the AirGap.

-blizz

Happy New Year 2012!!..

March 2nd, 2012, 2:08 am #6

351C .030 over
edelbrock air-gap intake
750cfm holley

~Mike

Mike I don't post here often because the regular guys know a lot more than I do. Here is what I have a stock stroke c with 185 3v heads a 216/224 .515/.535 lift cam 10 to 1 comp CHI 3v single plane man. 750hp holley carb 1.750 full length headers 2 1/2 inch exhaust with dynomax vt mufflers.
The car is a 1970 Cougar with a TKO 600 trans 3.50 gears. It is very quick I can smoke them through 2nd gear by the time I hit 3rd I have passed the speed limit in Ca. I am planning on building another short block soon and I'll probably go with a 408 kit from Mark. What I'm trying to tell you here is don't get caught up in the 500hp syndrome because my motor is putting out 425hp but 450tq. With a 408 I can expect around 500tq and that is what you are after with a street machine. Torque is king when 95 percent of the time you are on the street. By the way my Cougar weighs 3800 with me in it. Greg

March 2nd, 2012, 4:01 am #7

...before you try to put 700hp through a factory block.

Brent Lykins
B2 Motorsports, LLC

I absolutely agree Brent. What else should I do other than magnaflux to check for cracks? I have already had all the machine work done, but when I asked if the guy fluxed it, he had a slightly shady response. Something like, "yep... sure did... But you don't even really need to.. just looking around for cracks is fine. If there is a crack you will see it" This was done a long time ago, and I'm not using him for machine work anymore. Anyway, the block will probably end up back in the machine shop to make sure all the clearances are ok, and general stuff like that when I mock up the stroker kit, so there is still some time to check things out

Thanks!

March 2nd, 2012, 4:18 am #8

Heh heh... made me laugh. Stock perhaps?

March 2nd, 2012, 4:19 am #9

will your chassis handle 500-700 hp?

not 'will it break' but can it put that much HP to good use?

i can see aiming for 500hp after the spray, if you do decide to go with the consumable power adder method... but a good 400-425hp build will likely end you at about the same place as far as HP to ground transfer will allow, then maybe spend some on the chassis and be faster than you would with more motor alone

the 'bigger build' may end up leaving the streetable power band under the table and the top end not usable, once the chassis is max'd an alky burning Top Fuel engine won't help any except maybe at Bonneville

there'll be phantoms, there'll be fires on the road... and the white man dancing
Haha, for sure tinman. The car is far from finished actually. So to answer your question, no, the chassis can't take it. Most of the drive train is stock equivalent, or close. So there is a lot of work to do, I just happen to be starting with the engine. My u-joints will all snap like glass, my stock C4 will blow out, and the stock 8" rear end out back will pop like a balloon. I plan to handle all of that in time, and probably get some sub frame connectors and such to help the chassis itself. For now, I'm just trying to get it rolling under its own power for route 66 in september I'll baby it until its ready to romp. (and if I get a little too pedal happy, I have Triple A hehe!) Thanks for the help man!
Last edited by tinman351 on March 5th, 2012, 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 2nd, 2012, 4:23 am #10

Heh heh... made me laugh. Stock perhaps?
lol me too when I first read it! Then I thought, maybe I'll start calling all my stock parts that instead.. its much more manly. "What heads are you running?", "Stalkers!" haha
Last edited by beastmanh on March 2nd, 2012, 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.