351 C to 408 Stroker

glen
glen

February 20th, 2003, 5:26 am #21

Especially with all the engineering done. I'm sure this kit costs more than a comparable 393 kit because if the extra hacking. The Q - are the extra 15 cubes worth the extra expense? Is there that much more power in the 408 in terms of dollars (all else remaining equal - which it almost never does)
when i saw your $ quote! i think i'm ok now.flatlander w/i beam rods,$1500 plus balance. w/h beam rods, $1600 plus balance. callies rods,$1850 plus. F/L says "some kits only cost $500-$700 to balance!!! are they serious??? i do believe it could go that high, but i remember paying much less for my last balance job. for me the difference between 393c.i. and 408c.i. is the deal maker. not that 393c.i. is a deal breaker, more is better, right? mark, if you're out there, what type of rods are you supplying in a 408/9.2 kit?

Mark Miller
Mark Miller

February 21st, 2003, 6:13 am #22

N/M

February 21st, 2003, 6:28 am #23

when i saw your $ quote! i think i'm ok now.flatlander w/i beam rods,$1500 plus balance. w/h beam rods, $1600 plus balance. callies rods,$1850 plus. F/L says "some kits only cost $500-$700 to balance!!! are they serious??? i do believe it could go that high, but i remember paying much less for my last balance job. for me the difference between 393c.i. and 408c.i. is the deal maker. not that 393c.i. is a deal breaker, more is better, right? mark, if you're out there, what type of rods are you supplying in a 408/9.2 kit?
thats what i was expecting. better rods than that and he'd be giving them away! i'm coming around to seeing that it is a very reasonable $. at minimum wage i've already got that much into it just looking at specs and p/n's. i'm going to start panhandling tomorrow.

Brian S
Brian S

February 21st, 2003, 9:27 am #24

Double check with Flatlander on a stock 351C block. I saw this posted at the top of their stroker kit page.

"Stroker Kit For Ford 351C Block / 408 cu. in.
Requires Rollmaster Timing Chain & Motorsports Spacer M19009-A341
Requires 9.50 SVO or Dart Block"

February 21st, 2003, 2:14 pm #25

Thats correct Brian, I don't know how they consider theirs a 408C kit when you have to buy a 9.5 Windsor SVO or Dart block. The price of my components look very good compared to 2000$ for a new block and at least 500$ in machining to get it close to being usable. All of our compenents a checked for size before shipping. I have seen many set of rods that do not meet MY standards.

Mark McKeown
McKeown Motorsport Engineering, Inc.
http://mmeracing.com
Mark McKeown
McKeown Motorsport Engineering Inc
http://www.mmeracing.com
301-246-9225

Adam
Adam

February 21st, 2003, 10:26 pm #26

Mark you have got one hell of a package there, It's nice to see people in business hooking all there fellow cleveland brethren up with good gear with out going for max profit. I'm sure you could sell your kits for quite a bit more considering the gear that is contained within, and yet you don't. Mark you are a stand up guy. Not many of your breed left these days.

Chris Kelly
Chris Kelly

February 21st, 2003, 10:44 pm #27

Point # 1 Additional expense of 408 vs 393 . This is a apples to oranges comparison as the materials (crank,rods,pistons)in the 408 are far superior to that of the 393 kits on the market.
Point # 2 The increase in piston speed is worth the effort. By increasing piston speed you artificially rev the engine higher, increasing port velocity, which is what a large port engine wants in the first place.

Mark McKeown
Remeber, I'm a 2V person - right now. Yes, a 408 with the big ports is a killer, but for us "small port" folks, it's still good. As I noted before, lowering the tq/hp peaks while making more of each is a win-win. Mostly because I feel like I'd get to keep my parts in one assembly (as opposed to track side souvenirs) for a long period of time, lowering my ownership costs. I suppose I answered my own question - cram the most displament in yo can, then you won't be doing the "If I only" later. Anybody need help on their web page? I have this need to raise $2500. I do commercial sites too. References avaiable. ;^)

michael
michael

February 23rd, 2003, 6:31 pm #28

Thats correct Brian, I don't know how they consider theirs a 408C kit when you have to buy a 9.5 Windsor SVO or Dart block. The price of my components look very good compared to 2000$ for a new block and at least 500$ in machining to get it close to being usable. All of our compenents a checked for size before shipping. I have seen many set of rods that do not meet MY standards.

Mark McKeown
can you spill any more specs?
is this a streetable combo or race only (sounds like more street oriented as race guys would use shorter stroke with rpm, no)? I am hoping streetable!

sounds like it is still an all custom motor so I assume you would guide a customer as to what compression cam etc to go with for the app(written as a statement but actually a question)?

I desperately need to find a fairly local machinist I can trust

February 24th, 2003, 1:47 am #29

Mark you have got one hell of a package there, It's nice to see people in business hooking all there fellow cleveland brethren up with good gear with out going for max profit. I'm sure you could sell your kits for quite a bit more considering the gear that is contained within, and yet you don't. Mark you are a stand up guy. Not many of your breed left these days.
xx

Mark McKeown
Mark McKeown
301-246-9225

February 24th, 2003, 2:04 am #30

can you spill any more specs?
is this a streetable combo or race only (sounds like more street oriented as race guys would use shorter stroke with rpm, no)? I am hoping streetable!

sounds like it is still an all custom motor so I assume you would guide a customer as to what compression cam etc to go with for the app(written as a statement but actually a question)?

I desperately need to find a fairly local machinist I can trust
I have built these for strickly street and strickly race. sinc it is not a generic kit and the parts are custom, I can design it it fit any application.
I can a have supplied all of the matching components to complete a package. if you are looking for a machinist that knows Fords and has ALL of the tooling to machine them , Give me a call, I can arrange shipping that is much cheaper than typical and alot cheaper than having the job done wrong. Its always cheaper to do things right the first time. I'm machining a 650+ incher from 3000 miles away right now.
On another note I'll be in Bradenton Fla, for the NMRA season opener. I'm doing the R&D on an engine that will be a step forward from the current. These 4150 carbed small blocks buzz over 9500 at 800 + hp with Windsor style heads. If you are in the area come say hi, I be glad to talk.

Mark McKeown
Mark McKeown
301-246-9225