302 imbalance

302 imbalance

April 14th, 2012, 11:51 pm #1

I know at least some of you guys have fooled around with 302/5.0 motors, so heres a question for you. I have a 302 that came out of an '81 Mercury Grand Marquis wagon, with an AOD. I understand this engine is one of the first 302/5.0s to use a 50oz imbalance weight on the flywheel/flexplate, and on the harmonic balancer.I have determined this engine is in fact one of those with the 50 oz.
The transmission I have is a Toploader 3 speed standard from a 66/70 mustang,(I actually pulled it out of a 73 Comet) according to the #s I have searched. The flywheel I have, that is with the trans is a 28 oz imbalance, 10 inch clutch disc, 157 tooth.
So,I know I'm in need of a 50 oz imbalance 157 tooth flywheel.I also need a clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing.
My question is, what flywheel to buy? Will this one work well for me?

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0315039789

I plan on using the mechanical clutch linkage and fork I already have, so my clutch kit will need to be one to match this tranny, and not a hydraulic set up. As long as the pressure plate will bolt up to the flywheel, I should be good, right?

April 15th, 2012, 2:32 pm #2

Hard to tell, with the dearth of info on that product page, but I'm guessing it would, if it is for the '81 and up 302s. I bet you could find "better" deals on eBay or our classified page, but NAPA does offer a warranty, if that is a priority for you.

A Visigoth explains the sack of Rome: We wanted art, literature...culture! We're sorry we broke some stuff.

April 16th, 2012, 4:06 am #3

Thanks James,
I think I am going to take a chance on it and have it ordered in. You're right, I probably could find it for less $$, but a good friend ownes a NAPA here in middle Tennessee and I have a commercial account with them for my business. I can usually get things a little cheaper through them. I can also make him take it back for me if it doesn't fit my application I don't think there will be a problem, as long as the bolt holes for the pressure plate line up and the ring gear is offset on the the tranny side, like the origional flywheel, to match up with the starter. Thanks again for your input.