2V cleveland upgrade

2V cleveland upgrade

August 23rd, 2011, 7:13 pm #1

Hi
A question:
Looking at an existing engine installation as follows,
2V 351 stock stroke, 30 over , forged flat tops, zero decked, 2000 mile up from rebuild, open chamber 2V USA heads Comp 268H hydrualic flat tappet, 600cfm Holley with vac secondaries, TRW rods, 1.73 roller rockers, dynamically balanced rotating assembly, ED manifold, headers into collector, and twin 3.5" side pipes (cobra), Mallory with MSD6, melling hi volume pump.

As per above it's a fairly mild engine, Im guessing its around 8:1 cr; I'm in uk so could easily go to 10:1 as we have good gas.

What is the general opinion to uncork it a little, aus 2V closed chamber or something like AFD alloy 2Vs, dont want to switch to 4V due to not wantig to change exisitng exhaust installation.
Or would you go heads and a cam swap, maybe a 270H or something a little wilder?

Its a street car 1400kg's (3000 lbs) 3.3 rear 1.0:1 top gear manual transmission

Appreciate your opinions!

Cheers
Steve

August 24th, 2011, 12:36 am #2

If you have the "disposable" money available, I would certainly vote for the AFD or CHI heads. That weight reduction will make a very nice difference on a realtively light vehicle. And the standard AFD & CHI 2Vs will handily outperform the iron Aussie 2Vs, in my experience. I don't know how the pound is performing against the Aussie dollar, but probably lots better than the nearly dead & buried US dollar is. If so, I believe you would end up spending more trying to get the iron heads to perform anywhere near the out-of-the-box alloy pieces than you would just buying the ready AFDs/CHIs.
No-brainer, IMO, to up the compression, but I'm ignorant about the price penalty you pay for better gas. Doesn't seem "right" to put high dollar alloy heads on an 8:1 engine. Cheers.

A Visigoth explains the sack of Rome: We wanted art, literature...culture! We're sorry we broke some stuff.
Last edited by 351CRanger on August 24th, 2011, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 24th, 2011, 9:00 am #3

Hi
A question:
2V 351 stock stroke, 30 over , forged flat tops, zero decked, 2000 mile up from rebuild, open chamber 2V USA heads Comp 268H hydrualic flat tappet, 600cfm Holley with vac secondaries, TRW rods, 1.73 roller rockers, dynamically balanced rotating assembly, ED manifold, headers into collector, and twin 3.5" side pipes (cobra), Mallory with MSD6, melling hi volume pump.

As per above it's a fairly mild engine, Im guessing its around 8:1 cr; I'm in uk so could easily go to 10:1 as we have good gas.

What is the general opinion to uncork it a little, aus 2V closed chamber or something like AFD alloy 2Vs, dont want to switch to 4V due to not wantig to change exisitng exhaust installation.
Or would you go heads and a cam swap, maybe a 270H or something a little wilder?

Its a street car 1400kg's (3000 lbs) 3.3 rear 1.0:1 top gear manual transmission

Cheers
Steve

I went the same way with AFD 2V heads as i had the manifold and headers, but the options for good set of ported/good valves etc were not far from the alloy ones, and i didn't have the dramas of cracked heads etc, so i too just chose the easy way out, and am very happy with them.
I do have 408 cubes and a street roller cam, but these heads still let me run 10.70 over the 1/4 in a 3550 pound street car. All on good old pump fuel

August 24th, 2011, 10:27 am #4

If you have the "disposable" money available, I would certainly vote for the AFD or CHI heads. That weight reduction will make a very nice difference on a realtively light vehicle. And the standard AFD & CHI 2Vs will handily outperform the iron Aussie 2Vs, in my experience. I don't know how the pound is performing against the Aussie dollar, but probably lots better than the nearly dead & buried US dollar is. If so, I believe you would end up spending more trying to get the iron heads to perform anywhere near the out-of-the-box alloy pieces than you would just buying the ready AFDs/CHIs.
No-brainer, IMO, to up the compression, but I'm ignorant about the price penalty you pay for better gas. Doesn't seem "right" to put high dollar alloy heads on an 8:1 engine. Cheers.

A Visigoth explains the sack of Rome: We wanted art, literature...culture! We're sorry we broke some stuff.
Well the switch from open chamber 2v's to closed 'quench' type will get me to a little over 10:1 according to Dave at AFD, so zero cost; I'm considering a cam swap too, again relatively easy to maybe just go up to a 270H Thanks for the opinion though which confirms Im having the right thoughts!!!!

August 24th, 2011, 10:33 am #5

I went the same way with AFD 2V heads as i had the manifold and headers, but the options for good set of ported/good valves etc were not far from the alloy ones, and i didn't have the dramas of cracked heads etc, so i too just chose the easy way out, and am very happy with them.
I do have 408 cubes and a street roller cam, but these heads still let me run 10.70 over the 1/4 in a 3550 pound street car. All on good old pump fuel
yes i think its a relativey easy and safe route too, and the loss of weight as pointed out is a bonus in a light car, UK to aus exchange is good at the moment, the price of finding shipping and reparing/porting aussie iron heads soon adds up to not too far short of new allyheads too.
Good pump gas is everywhere here, and not much more expensive than regular so the compression hike is safe; although you guys in the USA would die at the thought of paying what we do here in UK for gas!!

Thanks to both for the replies

August 24th, 2011, 10:00 pm #6

steve i have the AFD 2v heads here in the uk , and dynoed on tims dyno , they kick ass.well worth the money, i bought them bare and supplied my own valves etc.

September 4th, 2011, 9:13 am #7

Cheers Adrian!

September 4th, 2011, 6:46 pm #8

Hi
A question:

Cheers
Steve

If you have flat tops and they are zero decked then you are around 9.2-1 (351CJ with flat tops is 9.2-1 compression with .010 deck) or better. I would try a cam swap first. With the manual trans you can go pretty big.
Andy

September 11th, 2011, 10:52 pm #9

Yes good point re cam swap!
As the motor in question starts and idles from cold, even on a cold day, and runs perfect (600cfm holley, vac secondaries, choke mech removed!) Im pretty sure its massively rich; the fact that it 8 strokes and pops and bags on big throttle openings once hot reinforces that; has anyone got baseline settings so that I can start in the right ball park??
Motor is flat top pistons, std stroke 351C, 0.30 over, 2V open with Comp cams 268H cam on side pipes and ED performer 2V intake, MSD6 ignition

Cheers

Steve

September 21st, 2011, 9:06 am #10

What's the list # of your carb?