Earl McGee
Earl McGee

September 21st, 2015, 5:52 pm #11

Am impressed Michael that you have such detailed info so far back in time. As to that phonetic thing, what with MacKay sounding like Magee, for all I know we're MacKays or Magees or McGees, or none of the above. Earl

Michael McAtee
Michael McAtee

September 21st, 2015, 6:28 pm #12

Honestly, I can't take credit for most of the information I have other than I'm the one who has the box of information in my attic.

My relatives (grandmother, grandfather, aunts, and uncles) have compiled much of this information. Given the amount of stuff in this box, I'm kind of ashamed that I haven't even looked at it before. The thing that prompted me to even remember it was there was going to the Scottish Highland games with my family, where my oldest son asked me, "what color is our family's kilt?" That one question led me down this rabbit hole to where I am today... reasonably certain that we belong with the Clan Mackay. "Reasonable certain" is good enough for me for now...

Now I know who we'll be rooting for at next year's games. My son's want to compete when they get old enough, so it's helpful to know which clan we belong to.

Thanks for all your help and information. It was very useful. I printed it out and will add it to "the box" for my own children to put in their attic someday.

August 18th, 2018, 7:15 am #13

Hi Michael,
I'm Dee McAtee from Australia. My 2X great grandfather, John McAtee was born in 1829 Armagh Ireland and came to Australia in 1853. My father held the belief that prior to ireland that the McAtee's came from Scotland. My sister and I recently had our DNA tested via Ancestry and we both have several distant cousin DNA matches with Americans that all go back to the Patrick McAtee you mention. Sometimes we both share DNA with the same person and sometimes separately. Further these matches are not for just 1 line coming down from Patrick but from a variety of Patrick's offspring. So purely from a DNA perspective I believe that Patrick was very closely related to my direct ancestor (maybe another brother that stayed behind in Ireland?) - I feel we have a common ancestor somewhere prior to Patrick. My problem is that i need to try and find out the details of my line between 1650 and 1829. Basically I need to try and fill in 200 years!!! I am wondering whether you have any information in the attic chest that might shed some light on this. Especially interested to know if anyone stayed behind in Ireland.
Cheers
Dee McAtee