thats not a MacKay Castle on the front

thats not a MacKay Castle on the front

Scott McKay
Scott McKay

December 22nd, 2009, 1:39 pm #1

Hey that does not look like a MacKay Castle on the Front of the web site, It looks like it might be a Borders Castle south of Edinburgh. Do we have a Campbell in the midst?
Aye,
Scott

James McKay
James McKay

December 22nd, 2009, 8:01 pm #2

Hi Scott,
I tried to identify the Castle by clicking on to 'Scottish Castles Photo Library' and there are a few 'likely' candidates! It would all depend on the angle the picture was 'shot' at. Of course the originator of the 'Banner' photo could maybe let us know.....Perhaps the lovely Michelle or some other clever person!
The link that I gave you above, gives you the Castles in alphabetical order, some are derelict, some are still in full working order, in public or private use, and each with it's own 'pen-picture' and background.
I don't know if your 'Campbell' reference was a 'throwaway' line or not but the Campbells stronghold was mainly over in Argyll (Invarary Castle). Here's a wee quick story for you to illustrate how the 'Hoi-Poloi' HAVE, and KEEP their money;
Some years ago I was sent up from my base in Stirling to assist with the Comms for Her Grace the Duchess of Argylls' Horse Trials (a Gymkhana over fences etc) this is usually held on the 1st weekend in June. I arrived at the Castle Reception and after establishing my 'boana fides' His Grace the Duke asked me and my 2 'Technos' if we wanted to 'See round the HOUSE'? We said we would'nt mind and His Grace told us to go through a certain entrance - where there was a wee CASHIER waiting to TAKE OUR MONEY!!! Bearing in mind these people were getting our services, time and equipment for FREE! Would YOU have given them any money?? NO WAY PEDRO!!
Now you know how the 'Idle Rich' have got money - and WE HAVEN'T!!
Regards, Jim

Michelle Sandelier, Nat'l. Pres.
Michelle Sandelier, Nat'l. Pres.

December 22nd, 2009, 9:14 pm #3

Dear James and Scott,

The photo is of the lovely Holyrood Palace roof line! Mark has been showcasing photos from Edinburgh all year in honor of the Gathering 2009! Clever how he added the December "snow", I thought!

At first I thought you were talking about the photo at the bottom of the home page which is the Mackay stronghold, Verrick Castle, just outside of Tongue. When I went back to the home page I saw that it is labeled. So it must have been the top photo in question.

Holyrood palace is so very elegant. It looks like something out of a fairy tale and the surrounding park takes you from Historic Edinburgh into the Prehistoric realm. I loved every minute I spent there this summer and would go again in a heartbeat!

Hope you have a wonderful Christmas! Michelle

Scott Mckay
Scott Mckay

December 23rd, 2009, 12:40 am #4

Hi Scott,
I tried to identify the Castle by clicking on to 'Scottish Castles Photo Library' and there are a few 'likely' candidates! It would all depend on the angle the picture was 'shot' at. Of course the originator of the 'Banner' photo could maybe let us know.....Perhaps the lovely Michelle or some other clever person!
The link that I gave you above, gives you the Castles in alphabetical order, some are derelict, some are still in full working order, in public or private use, and each with it's own 'pen-picture' and background.
I don't know if your 'Campbell' reference was a 'throwaway' line or not but the Campbells stronghold was mainly over in Argyll (Invarary Castle). Here's a wee quick story for you to illustrate how the 'Hoi-Poloi' HAVE, and KEEP their money;
Some years ago I was sent up from my base in Stirling to assist with the Comms for Her Grace the Duchess of Argylls' Horse Trials (a Gymkhana over fences etc) this is usually held on the 1st weekend in June. I arrived at the Castle Reception and after establishing my 'boana fides' His Grace the Duke asked me and my 2 'Technos' if we wanted to 'See round the HOUSE'? We said we would'nt mind and His Grace told us to go through a certain entrance - where there was a wee CASHIER waiting to TAKE OUR MONEY!!! Bearing in mind these people were getting our services, time and equipment for FREE! Would YOU have given them any money?? NO WAY PEDRO!!
Regards, Jim
That reminds me the time I went on the Clan MacKay tour of Scotland in 1996.
Lady Sutherland invited us into the former Mackay house in Tongue for a get together, she charged us admission. One of the wealthiest people in that area. A few of the MacKays refused to pay. And yes I have been to Castle Verrick twice, and its gutted out. And the Campbell remark was in jest. Have a Merry Xmas. Scott

James McKay
James McKay

December 23rd, 2009, 10:23 am #5

Hi Scott,
Regards, Jim
Hi Scott and Michelle,
Festive Greetings from a very snowy Trossachs area!
I've got to hold my hands up and to confess my embarrassment for not knowing the 'roofline' at one of Her Majesty's Official Residences in Scotland. Even MORE embarrassing is the fact that I've stood outside GUARDING it! My plea of mitigation is that it would have been BEHIND me!!
May I wish all Moderators and Forum Members a Happy and Joyful Christmas and may your God grant you all you desire for 2010.
Pax Vobiscum, Jim

E.David McGee
E.David McGee

December 23rd, 2009, 10:58 pm #6

That reminds me the time I went on the Clan MacKay tour of Scotland in 1996.
Lady Sutherland invited us into the former Mackay house in Tongue for a get together, she charged us admission. One of the wealthiest people in that area. A few of the MacKays refused to pay. And yes I have been to Castle Verrick twice, and its gutted out. And the Campbell remark was in jest. Have a Merry Xmas. Scott
I must have missed that tour as my wife, Jana and I were also on that 96 Mackay trip and I did not see anyone charged admission to visit Tongue House. On the contrary, the Countess of Sutherland was most gracious and did invite all who were on the tour to visit the extensive gardens associated with Tongue House and to my knowledge, were not charged a penny.
Tongue house is a private residence and is not open for general touring. From time to time the Mackays who have been invited there were by invitation only.
On the other hand,Dunrobin Castle near Golspie, is the Castle of the Sutherlands and is open for general touring, and a fee is charged for that venue. You are correct when you stated; some of the MacKays chose not to take that tour.
Be careful what you place on an open forum, as it could get back to people in other areas of the world and create an embarrassment for Clan Mackay U.S.A.
E. David McGee
Former S.E. Regional V.P.
Clan Mackay U.S.A.

Scott Mckay
Scott Mckay

December 23rd, 2009, 11:50 pm #7

Well David several people refused to go into the Lady Sutherland house because she requested donations, one person in particular was high up in the Clan MacKay USA. I paid my donation and went in.
And I am not an embarassment to the Clan MacKay.
Scott

E. David McGee
E. David McGee

December 24th, 2009, 12:21 am #8

It may be splitting hairs, but here is a diference between charging an entrance fee and requesting a donation.
David McGee

Mark Bain
Mark Bain

December 27th, 2009, 10:05 pm #9

Hey that does not look like a MacKay Castle on the Front of the web site, It looks like it might be a Borders Castle south of Edinburgh. Do we have a Campbell in the midst?
Aye,
Scott
Actually it's Craigevar Castle located just South of Alford, Aberdeenshire.
I wanted something 'fairytale-like' to go with the falling snow.
Also, I spent a wonderful day there once taking photos and relishing the countryside.
I hope you all enjoy the experience!

Cheers!
Mark

Jessica Russell
Jessica Russell

December 29th, 2009, 2:58 am #10

Thank you Mark, for the creativity and in showing us a mini-tour via our own website!