Pronunciation

Pronunciation

Lora McKay
Lora McKay

May 16th, 2017, 11:06 pm #1

Hello,

Can you please tell me how McKay is meant to be pronounced?

My family is from California (two brothers emigrated from Northern Ireland together). Our family has always pronounced the surname "Mc-A".

We still have the family cottage in the north (near Bushmills) and many of us have been fortunate enough to spend time there. The locals pronounce the surname "Mc-EYE" in the area.

I understand that our family came to be in northern Ireland, as seven brothers came across from northern Scotland together. I am wondering if it would have still been pronounced "Mc-EYE" in Scotland originally? Or is this an Irish adaptation?

I believe that the Gaelic derivative "Mhic Aoidh" is closer to "Mc-A".

Many thanks,

Lora McKay

Earl McGee
Earl McGee

May 19th, 2017, 11:49 pm #2

Hi Lora. Bushmills is quite near where my family hailed, Ballintoy.You might find some kin listed in the old census records as did I on Bill MacAfee's sitehttp://www.billmacafee.com/18centurydatabases.htm As to pronunciation, my understanding of it is the name was pronounced the same in Scotland. Given that area, odds are your kin had spoken Ulster Scot there originally as that area was heavily settled by lowland Scots. Earl

Earl McGee
Earl McGee

May 20th, 2017, 7:10 pm #3

I should have mentioned that, if you peruse some of those 18th century census lists, you'll find that McKay was 1 of the more common names in the northern coastal area of Antrim then. Certainly quite common in Ballintoy. Earl

Lora Carroll
Lora Carroll

June 15th, 2017, 7:00 pm #4

Hi Lora. Bushmills is quite near where my family hailed, Ballintoy.You might find some kin listed in the old census records as did I on Bill MacAfee's sitehttp://www.billmacafee.com/18centurydatabases.htm As to pronunciation, my understanding of it is the name was pronounced the same in Scotland. Given that area, odds are your kin had spoken Ulster Scot there originally as that area was heavily settled by lowland Scots. Earl
Hi Earl,

My sister lived in Balintoy when she was renovating our family's little stone cottage. It is a beautiful little fishing village, very close to Bushmills. My sister met with an elderly man who lived in the area, with the name of McKay. He told her that five brothers came over originally from Scotland and settled all along the northern coast, so we are likely related somewhere far back along the line!

All the best,

Lora