ancestry.com

ancestry.com

Earl McGee
Earl McGee

August 6th, 2017, 11:45 pm #1

Am not a member there but am curious about the accuracy of the information I find there for those who may be familiar with it. Happened to check the family tree it notes for me and, if accurate, have peeled my tree back a few generations more than I had to date. I already had traced it back through other sources to a g-g-g-g--whatever grandfather born around 1750 in Ballintoy parish. But Ancestry lists his father born around 1720 in Antrim as Andrew. Know from those other sources, (census lists), that an Andrew did live where my kin lived and had previously assumed he was kin, though had no idea of when he was born. They also list his father as John, born 1690, place unknown. Guess it's safe to assume we came to Antrim in the 17th century though. Interestingly, just like the census lists themselves do, Ancestry.com goes back and forth between noting apparent kin as Magee and McGee, Andrew and John noted so respectively. But, would it be safe to assume Ancestry has it right? thanks, Earl

Andrea McKay Cable
Andrea McKay Cable

September 9th, 2017, 2:29 pm #2

My daughter and I have been using Ancestry.com to do tree and found it to be accurate, you just have to read it well to make sure it pertains. We've traced my husband's father side back to 1701 and a relative fought in the French-indian war, we've even found where he is buried. Good luck