A Mackay Musher in the Can Am Sled dog Races!

A Mackay Musher in the Can Am Sled dog Races!

Michelle Sandelier
Michelle Sandelier

March 3rd, 2012, 10:23 pm #1

Hi All,

I just got in from the Can Am Crown International Sled Dog Races held in Fort Kent, Maine about an hour from our home. Left in snow (studded snow tires a must up here)and it continued throughout the day with temps of +22 and a -8F wind chill... it seemed to make the races all the more exciting. The dogs were all yodeling and jumping anxious to get underway.

Main Street was closed down to accommodate the start and it ws filled with spectators. Most of the locals looked as if they stepped right out of an Alaskan Gold Rush movie in big fur hats, Mukluk boots and beards! Families brought all the kids out including infants all rosy cheeked and bundled up in their sleds; strollers just don't work up here in the winter! I even met a Native American in his red Hudson Bay blanket coat, breast plate of shell beads and bone and his ceremonial staff. Photos will come soon!

I was told there were about 1,000 dogs entered in the various races of from 30 miles to 250 miles and in the 30 mile race, there was a Mackay! I do not know if she is a member of our Society, but I am going to try to get her address to send her a personal note of congrats for her participation. Check her lead dogs' names!...

Kathy Mackay
Team Owner: MacKay / Mahoney
Lead Dogs:
Malarkey; 6 year old male Alaskan
Ghillie; 5 year old male Alaskan
Sgian Dubh; 5 year old male Alaskan
Camogie; 5 year old female Alaskan
Pictish; 4 year old female Alaskan
Race Experience:
Longest: Midnight Run; 15 place
Can-Am 30; 7 place 2008
Can-Am 30; 7 place 2009

John Mahoney and I have been working with Alaskan huskies since 1994. We worked as tour guides, kennel helpers, race handlers, and race organizers, but we now enjoy fielding our own race team that we have raised and trained from scratch.

Seeing a familiar name made watching the starts and following the teams all the more enjoyable! To see more with videos just google
"Can Am Crown International Sled Dog Races" or check the UTube sites under the same heading! Michelle

Michelle Sandelier
Michelle Sandelier

March 4th, 2012, 4:16 am #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dae3TAJ4c7s

Here is a short clip on Utube of a couple of the early starts . The side lines filled up as the morning progressed!

Also mushing today was Hugh Wakker from SCOTLAND!

I didnt know he was running until I picked up my program this morning and he was already to go and had moved his team out of the visitors area...

Hugh Wakker
Team Owner: Rob & Louise Cooke
Lead Dogs:
Gyro; 4 year old male Siberian
Maddie; 2 year old female Siberian
Loonie; 2 year old male Siberian
Race Experience:
Longest: Can-Am 30; 17 place 2011
SHC of GB Aviemore Sled Dog Race 4mi.; 5 place 2010

Hugh and his wife Judy live in Scotland and have owned Siberian Huskies since l995. They currently have 13 Siberians and a German Shorthaired Pointer. Two of their huskies come from Alaska and New Hampshire. Their youngest husky, Ollie, is 8 months old. He will be travelling back to Scotland with them after the race. He was bred by Can-Am 250 musher, Rob Cooke and his wife, Louise. Hugh regularly competes in dryland sprint races in the UK. Compared to races in Canada and the USA, races in the UK are very short and rarely on snow, so Hugh usually races on a three-wheeled rig that looks a bit like a tricycle without a seat.
Hugh took part in his first Can-Am 30 last year, finishing 17th. He is pleased to be back again this year and really grateful to Rob and Louise Cooke for giving him the opportunity to run their Siberian huskies again.

For 16 years, Hugh has been running Siberian huskies in the UK, competing in dryland races over short distances of approximately six miles. He runs six-dog teams in the French Alps and in Scotland. He has helped organize dryland races for 11 years.

Michelle

Bryan Mackey
Bryan Mackey

March 15th, 2012, 2:28 am #3

Hi All,

I just got in from the Can Am Crown International Sled Dog Races held in Fort Kent, Maine about an hour from our home. Left in snow (studded snow tires a must up here)and it continued throughout the day with temps of +22 and a -8F wind chill... it seemed to make the races all the more exciting. The dogs were all yodeling and jumping anxious to get underway.

Main Street was closed down to accommodate the start and it ws filled with spectators. Most of the locals looked as if they stepped right out of an Alaskan Gold Rush movie in big fur hats, Mukluk boots and beards! Families brought all the kids out including infants all rosy cheeked and bundled up in their sleds; strollers just don't work up here in the winter! I even met a Native American in his red Hudson Bay blanket coat, breast plate of shell beads and bone and his ceremonial staff. Photos will come soon!

I was told there were about 1,000 dogs entered in the various races of from 30 miles to 250 miles and in the 30 mile race, there was a Mackay! I do not know if she is a member of our Society, but I am going to try to get her address to send her a personal note of congrats for her participation. Check her lead dogs' names!...

Kathy Mackay
Lead Dogs:
Race Experience:
Can-Am 30; 7 place 2008
Can-Am 30; 7 place 2009

John Mahoney and I have been working with Alaskan huskies since 1994. We worked as tour guides, kennel helpers, race handlers, and race organizers, but we now enjoy fielding our own race team that we have raised and trained from scratch.

Seeing a familiar name made watching the starts and following the teams all the more enjoyable! To see more with videos just google
"Can Am Crown International Sled Dog Races" or check the UTube sites under the same heading! Michelle
Wow, good luck!

Kathy MacKay
Kathy MacKay

May 11th, 2012, 4:34 pm #4

Hi All,

Kathy Mackay
Lead Dogs:
Race Experience:
Can-Am 30; 7 place 2008
Can-Am 30; 7 place 2009

Hello Michelle,

I was 'googling' for the Can-Am Sledders of N.Y. and found this article about WHOA!....me!
I am the real MacKay, it is my given name, my father's and grandfather's etc. on down and over to the isle of Harris where there is a stone at Rodel.
What is this Society you speak of?
Are you a MacKay as well?
Here are the rest of our dogs..http://www.dogtec.com/kennel/in-a-handb ... els/kennel
Glad you enjoyed the race!

Kathy MacKay
Box 532
Parishville, New York 13672

Michelle Sandelier
Michelle Sandelier

May 30th, 2012, 2:10 am #5

Hi Kathy!

I always check down the page to see if there are any "late" responses. Glad I did! And so glad you found us! There was a little chatter in our facebook page about you too! You are a clanswoman of Mackay because you carry the name of the Chief and so would be related by blood to the first Chiefs . I am one because my mother was a Mackie, also a blood relative to the Chiefs of Mackay. I am a lifetime member and have served as the Maine commissioner, Northeast Region Vice President, National Vice President , National President and now, an unofficial greeter for the Forum Pages. There are over 200 other affiliated families who were taken in by the clan for protection and given a place to live and work in exchange for the promise of their sword if called upon by the Chief in times of trouble. The clan rolls were established in antiquity and were closed with the Battle of Culloden

Clan Mackay USA is actually an extension, although separate and independent from the original Clan Mackay in Scotland in that we claim membership based on the names on the rolls of the the original Clan that was abolished along with all clans, and the outlawing of the wearing of tartan and the playing of the pipes and harps as they were considered instruments of war after the Battle of Culloden in 1745. All clan lands were confiscated and given to new English landlords who expelled the tenants and opted to raise sheep. The tenants were forced to the sea shore to seek work as fishermen, but having no experience, thousands died trying to make livings . Others fled to the cities and died because of the terrible over crowding and diseases . Thousands simply died of exposure and starvation having nowhere to go. Those who could, took passage to America as indentured servants. Many died en route and many more died in the strange and harsh new world.

While there are no longer CLANS, there are clan associations who help to preserve the customs and heritage of Scotland and in particular for us, that of Clan Mackay.

I hope you took some time to wander through the Forum pages and the rest of the web site. We have a quarterly news letter, The Mackay Banner, Mackay Hosted Hospitality Tents at the highland Games across the nation, a DNA and Genealogy project to help members push back into their family lines. I hope you will consider visiting a game in your area and perhaps joining the Clan Society. The dues our members pay go to providing scholarships to members who are studying Scottish/Gaelic arts like highland dance, piping , drumming, and Gaelic. They also help with the production of the Banner and the registration fees for our commissioners to set up the Mackay Hospitality Tents Would love to hear from you again! If you are interested in our ancient history and our connection to the first kings of Scotland (as well as at least one saint that I am aware of !), let me know, I would be happy to share my research with you

Best Regards, Michelle