Moderator: oldtime

August 28th, 2018, 2:06 am #11

Got a call from glass shop. No luck
I suspect maybe the channel got some
Paint in it. It probably would not take much to alter the tolerance to the point where it
Does not fit. I will inspect it closely.
The new seal is the same as the old one.
I thought maybe someone sold me the wrong one. Running out of ideas. If I see
A paint build up I will try to remove it somehow.
1964 CJ3b
11" drum brakes
Ventilated windshield
Dual master cylinder

Rus Curtis

August 28th, 2018, 2:55 am #12

I remember the door channels along the sides of my windshield frame being damaged by the Previous Owner (PO) who didn't seem to mind where he was mounting the metal top.  Those large metal screws were not spaced evenly nor in a straight line.  Some went right through the door channel.  I bent it back to near straight with a screwdriver and then convinced the body shop in Kansas to weld the hole up but leave the channel as is (I seem to recall cutting a brass bar to a small square rod so he would have something inside the channel when welding) but I don't think he used it.

Later I took a Dremel to it (threaded the bit down the channel to the weld spot where the build up was).  And turned it on.  Carefully, I ground the weld build up on the back side down to where I was able to test fit my old door to see if it would slide.

Another hobby that I've spent a lot of time in - we would often find ourselves making tools where one didn't exist.  Not seeing what this channel looks like, I wonder if a small insert wrapped in fine sand paper, complete with a 90 degree handle to hold on to, couldn't be slid around the perimeter to see if there's build up (paint/crude/etc.) somewhere as well as add a slight polish to the inner surface.  I'm not sure a power tool would be a good idea in this case. 

Heck, you might even get it to cooperate with an aggressive scrub using an old toothbrush!

Let us know what you find! 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Larry (TX)

August 28th, 2018, 3:32 pm #13

Scott, I'd think a new seal would be much more resilent than an old one, making it more easy to slip the locking bead into the channel. If not then you're right that something else has to be the culprit. Keep us informed.
Larry Steed
Pearland, Texas
'53 Willys CJ3B
'52 Willys M38
'86 Chevy M1009 CUCV (K5 4x4 Military Blazer)
M100 1/4 ton jeep trailer
M416 1/4 ton jeep trailer (2 ea.)
M101 CDN 1/4 ton jeep trailer

August 30th, 2018, 5:46 pm #14

Well guys I have some positive things to report. I made a tool out of a flat head screwdriver. I carved a hook with a dremel tool and used it to scrape the inside of the channel. Then using some tactically folded sandpaper worked on smoothing it out. Then My son and I cut a short piece of the old gasket for a tester. Lubed it up with corrosion X and looked for problem areas.
Finally the tester could travel completely
Around the track. We could not pull  the new gasket through the track, but using some traction To stretch and reduce the dimensions of the gasket we tucked it in inch by inch.  Wasn’t that exciting? Tomorrow when my son returns maybe we can finish. Thanks for the interest.We are halfway done.
Total elapsed time is 5 hours.
1964 CJ3b
11" drum brakes
Ventilated windshield
Dual master cylinder

Rus Curtis

August 30th, 2018, 6:16 pm #15

Outstanding! 
Rus Curtis
Alabama
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

Larry (TX)

August 30th, 2018, 6:46 pm #16

Congratulations Scott - think we're all pull'n for you brother!
Larry Steed
Pearland, Texas
'53 Willys CJ3B
'52 Willys M38
'86 Chevy M1009 CUCV (K5 4x4 Military Blazer)
M100 1/4 ton jeep trailer
M416 1/4 ton jeep trailer (2 ea.)
M101 CDN 1/4 ton jeep trailer

September 14th, 2018, 8:04 pm #17

Uh-Oh
My victory was short lived. It seams that the energy that I used to streach the rubber was stored in the gasket because the corners held it in the stretched position like a drawn bow. Overnight the force found the weakest
Point and it snapped leaving a one inch gap. I will start over with a new gasket but I will not streach it so much.
1964 CJ3b
11" drum brakes
Ventilated windshield
Dual master cylinder

Rus Curtis

September 14th, 2018, 9:00 pm #18

I know the feeling!  Recommend, as you soap/lube it to slide, work backwards to push the gasket forward (like a curtain on a curtain rod) and hopefully, that will help relieve the tension.  Try both pulling and pushing as you go along the entire seal remembering the back end where you started.  Keep it soaped/lubed along the entire seal touching the channel with whatever you're using to help with friction.
Rus Curtis
Alabama
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C