Moderator: oldtime

Headlight switch

PapaC
PapaC

September 12th, 2018, 3:25 am #1

Anybody got a pretty decent looking headlight switch they’d sell?
I was finally going to install mine and noticed that the nut had been cross threaded at some point in its life where it goes through the dash. Very disappointing.

I’d rather for myself have decent used than one of those new ones they’re now making.

Thanks
Charles
Charles Tate....North Mississippi

1956 WILLYS DJ3A Convertible
Doing ground up nuts and bolt restoration by almost entirely reconditioning original used or a few NOS DJ3A parts.

1962 WILLYS DJ3A Convertible. (For research and parts only)

Rus Curtis

September 12th, 2018, 2:05 pm #2

Charles,
I'd offer you mine but the shaft is broken off where the knob attaches.  I always had to be careful and check to see if the knob was tight (the set screw had nothing to grab onto) - so I wouldn't loose it. 

What I ended up doing was ordering one of these:
http://www.debellajeepparts.com/cjpremiers.htm

It seemed reasonable and looks good.  I haven't yet connected the battery (waiting on cable) so I can't report how well it works.  Installation was by the book (easy).
Rus Curtis
Alabama
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

PapaC
PapaC

September 12th, 2018, 6:25 pm #3

Thanks Russ.  If that’s good enough for you it’s good enough for me and I’m going to place the order.

Other than battery cables, which I have, that’s the only thing I like completely finishing up the wiring on my DJ which I recently started back to working on! I also have all of my wires either wiring tape wrapped or in cloth wiring loom by now.

Also I’m getting anxious to find out if a 40 year old 6 volt battery that’s NEVER had acid put in it will hold a charge!

Doing ground up nuts and bolt restoration by almost entirely reconditioning original used or a few NOS DJ3A parts.

Rus Curtis

September 12th, 2018, 8:33 pm #4

Never had acid?  Based on my understanding, yes!  Back when I worked in a garage, the golf cart sized batteries came empty with a bag of electrolyte so that when purchased you poured it in and put a charge on it.  So, I'd think you'd have perfectly preserved cells just waiting to exchange electrons.  You may have problems on warranty claims though......
Rus Curtis
Alabama
'54 CJ-3B "Green Gruntt"
Bantam T3-C

PapaC
PapaC

September 14th, 2018, 7:44 am #5

Thinking you’re right on that battery. It still looks brand new inside.

Yuk. Debella was sold out of those switches. My other option was either omit (not for me) or qtm parts. Noticed the brass on both of those were shiny and uncoated. I decided I wasn’t a fan of that.

Found a seller on EBay (56surplus) that I have done business with before still had 3 of the exact same ones Debela had advertised. Older but better looking because the brass was solder plated. Shipping might have been higher but the base price was the same at 30.00.

If he truly only had three of those left now he only has two. Glad I got mine ordered before they were all gone!

PapaC
PapaC

September 14th, 2018, 7:51 am #6

Won’t let me edit. Should have said OMIX (not for me) or qtm parts.