Wiring Diagrams

Wiring Diagrams

May 11th, 2006, 11:07 am #1

Received a call last night from a guy out of Brockton Mass. Found my name via an internet Google search under 45 Chris Craft Commander. Apparently, a recent post on this forum googled up and he found my number. Anyway, he is having difficulty keeping his engines running and thinks it has to do with his Firequench system. He asked if I had the wiring diagrams. I do, in fact most of the construction detail were on the boat when I got her. Going to copy them and send them to the guy, partly because I would do anything in my power to help out a fellow Chris'r, but also, I feel real sorry for him being stigmatized by the competentness of his two US Senators. (humor)

Regardless, anyone needing wiring diagrams for the 42 and 45 Commander, I have them. These vessels were formerly known as the Tournement and/or Sportfisher.

Paul
Paul

May 11th, 2006, 11:44 am #2

email them to me if you want, and I'll put them in the MASTER INDEX for the next guy to find. Post them directly here if you want, and if they're too big I'll compress them. As for the "pair", must be something in the water up there?

Paul

May 12th, 2006, 4:17 am #3

Hi Paul, I imagine you already have the wiring diagram for the 38' commander, but if for some reason you don't, I could mail you a copy that you could scan.

We are getting to a stage on our rebuild/refurbishment where we will soon start tracing wires to the flybridge and other places, and comparing what we find to the factory wiring diaphram. Just the other day we were trying to sort out the mass of wiring wadded up under the enclosed area on the flybridge.

One excellent thing -- we reconnected all the loose wires from our remote-control spot-light yesterday, and the thing works!!!!! The control was so encrusted with green fuzz and rust that I am frankly amazed.

We just wired up a couple of stereo radios (on at both helm stations), and a Garmin GSP depthfinder/plotter, and some other things -- it feels good to get some of the electrical things working!

We also redid our fuel system including huge new Carter electric marine rotary-vane fuel pumps. I added a 'fuel pump priming switch' (a momentary-on -- off -- momentary on manual switch) which we can flick either way to manually run each fuel pump, which primes our carbs after the boat has been sitting. After priming the system, our engines start with one pump of the throttle lever even after sitting for extended periods. Without the priming switch, our fuel pumps only run while the starter motor is engaged or 2) when the engine is running and the oil pressure is up.

Best wishes, Curt...
----

1967 fiberglass 38' Chris Craft Commander Sportfisher with twin 427 CID 300 HP engines.

May 12th, 2006, 12:03 pm #4

He got an estimate of something like $1800 to refurbish the light. Perhaps it just needs a little TLC? The drive mechanism for those things isn't too much different than the motors on a rear view mirror. They should last a long time if they're built for the marine environment with marine wire, etc.

Believe it or not, I don't have a 38 wiring diagram and could use one. If you can scan one and email it, that would be great, or just post it so others can see it too. No need to use the snail mail.

Sounds like you have the fuel pump issue pretty well resolved. I hope you guys are able to get some quality time running your boat this year. You've done more restoration work in less time than anyone else I know, so you guys really are to be congratulated. Everyone appreciates the thoughtful write-ups and great photos you've shared too.

I'm going to be doing the underwater gear thing, and painting the hull in a few weeks. Props are on order, shafts have been paid for, strut bearings are in hand, and not sure at this time if I'm going with Drivesavers or not. I'll be installing a new depth finder of some sort, haven't decided which is best for my water here in Tennessee.

Regards, all the best,
Paul

May 13th, 2006, 6:26 am #5

Hi Paul, the electrical drawing we have is large, and my scanner small. I'll talk to co-owner Jim to see if he has a machine at work that can scan it, but I don't beleive he does (they do have a large format copier however). Email me a mailing address and I will see what I can get for you.

I also have a digital copy of the electrical diagram for a Kohler 6.5 KW gen-set. One was glued to the inside of the sheet metal cover for the generator, and I photographed it -- not great, but not bad either. I have posted 2 copies at the address below (one as photographed, and one after some digital cleanup):

- home.comcast.net/~netboy/Boat/KohlerGensetWiring.jpg
- home.comcast.net/~netboy/Boat/KohlerGensetWiring2.jpg

[I didn't display them in this post because they are big enough to mess the text display up.]

Thanks for the kind words about our restoration efforts. At times the work has been frustrating, and at other times quite satisfying.

You mentioned a new depth finder. Our new Garmin 198C GPS color plotter/depth sounder is sure nice -- we installed a high quality bronze transducer last summer when we did the hull inspection and bottom paint work, but we just installed the head unit at the lower helm station this past week. We are VERY pleased with how good the Garmin charts are for the Willamette and Columbia Rivers -- every bridge and bouy are shown, and even the dock we moor at. Soundings are shown on the display. There is a lot of flexibility for what information you can display on the split screen -- we have depth, time of day, speed, and a compass shown. Anyway, the chart is so good you could almost drive the boat blind with this thing (as long as other boats stayed out of the way):

For the flybridge, we have a little Hummingbird 2" digital depth finder. I plan to stick the transducer to the inside of the hull with some epoxy (it should transmit through the fiberglass OK). Before sticking it in epoxy, I will stick it in a blob of grease for testing. I would have mounted it thru-hull if I had it when we pulled the boat, but I didn't.

Best of luck with your coming upgrades -- we will all be looking forward to hearing how the new props perform.

Best wishes, Curt...
---------

September 29th, 2008, 2:29 pm #6

Does anyone have a diagram for a 1980 410 Commander? I am looking to replace the breaker panel...
Thanks,
freddie

September 29th, 2008, 4:44 pm #7

Hello Freddie,

I'am Sonja from Spain - from LEGENDE CCC 41 look here > www.legende.es

The shortest way, for you, to receive the copies of my wiring diagrams will be -> you must ask Rick from www.chriscorp.com in USA (also member in this forum)he received all our copies two years ago.

I think you receive them earlier on this postway I am shure it is a "little" shorter..haha

If that is not posible, you can ask me an other one - and we will help you than!

Best regards from Spain,
Sonja and Oliver

Best & sunny wishes from SPAIN - Peñiscola at the Orange-Blossom-Coast
from SONIA & OLIVER
"Legende" CCC41 Flybridge (1979)
www.legende.es

September 30th, 2008, 4:50 pm #8

Sonja,
I seem to be having trouble getting a hold of Rick. Do you have any other ideas?
Thanks,
freddie

September 30th, 2008, 5:40 pm #9

Hello Freddie,

I'am Sonja from Spain - from LEGENDE CCC 41 look here > www.legende.es

The shortest way, for you, to receive the copies of my wiring diagrams will be -> you must ask Rick from www.chriscorp.com in USA (also member in this forum)he received all our copies two years ago.

I think you receive them earlier on this postway I am shure it is a "little" shorter..haha

If that is not posible, you can ask me an other one - and we will help you than!

Best regards from Spain,
Sonja and Oliver

from SONIA & OLIVER
www.legende.es
Hello Freddie

I have not other ideas---

you saw the telefonnumber on his homepage?
www.chriscorp.com

I'm sorry, please ask Paul Pletcher the webmaster of this forum - I hope he has an idea!

Best wishes from Spain

Sonja

from SONIA & OLIVER
www.legende.es

Paul
Paul

September 30th, 2008, 5:47 pm #10

Please scan the document and send it to me at [url=mailto:chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com]chriscraftcommander@hotmail.com[/url]

If it is too big to scan the whole thing, please just scan the normal
8-1/2" x 11" pages and send them all to me.

I'll convert them to an image we can post here on the forum, and then anyone who wants them can have access.

Regards,

Paul