What is this?

What is this?

Wes
Wes

September 30th, 2006, 8:51 am #1

Strange looking 38' on Ebay in need of alot of TLC. Anybody close to it that could look at it? I wonder how much it would cost in fuel to cruise it to north Florida?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... otohosting

Wes

edit comment: As time would eventually show, the boat noted in Wes's post above was eventually acquired by Steven, who posted the acknowledgement here, and offered some additional photos, one of which is posted below. Now we have a complete documentation on this unique evolution of the 38 Commander hull. Cool eh?

<HR WIDTH="100%" COLOR="##666699" SIZE="11">PHOTO OF THE DAY AWARD (January 24, 2007)

Edit Comment: "The photo above was awarded the "Photo of the Day" on January 24 because of the interesting photo composition and great story about how this boat was acquired, and how it is being upgraded now. This boat has the distinction of having been spotted for sale on Ebay, had been identified and discussed here on the Forum, and then re-discovered after it was acquired. Steven is the lucky new owner who reported in to the Forum, and he's presently in the process of getting this interesting piece of Chris Craft boating history ready for service next season!

Nice job Steven!

The following comments were noted on January 24, 2007:

(ABOVE:) Here is a 1971 38’ Sedan Flybridge, with the “second generation” topsides and cabin layout. Steven just acquired this boat, and the photo above shows the unique topside design of the 38 Commander, as it evolved into the first big model change of the cabin. This is the first one of it’s kind to be documented here, and we’re happy to be able to feature photos of this interesting evolution of the Commander hull.

The boat has recently been acquired, it’s on the hard now and it’s being readied for a relocation cruise. Three generations of family members have been able to assist in the fun so far, and this is the stuff great memories are made of. That's Steven's Dad in the photo, by the way, and it's always great to see family members like this getting a piece of the excitement and fun. Congratulations to Steve!

Paul,
forum moderator
<HR WIDTH="100%" COLOR="##666699" SIZE="11">

Last edited by FEfinaticP on January 27th, 2007, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 30th, 2006, 10:20 am #2

Wes - I have heard these refered to as second generation Commanders. I think they built them in '70 and '71. With the cabin sides moved all the way out to the rub rails the main cabin seems very spacious. The interior paneling is all white and very "mod". These later Commanders, allthough a great boat, don't share the classic Commander styling and heft of construction with the earlier models. I have been told that, as any smart buisness would have done, CC realized they were over building these hulls and pared them down a bit over the years.CW

Paul
Paul

September 30th, 2006, 12:42 pm #3

Chris, I hadn't heard the info about these being lighter in weight, interesting info. If that's the case they would also have been faster if the weight reduction is significant.

This appears to be an "aerodynamic" styling technique that was applied to the Commander and the Catalina boats, while Roamer had the swoopy style all along to some degree and didn't change much. The interiors of these "swoopy" design Commanders don't appeal to me because they're all white and finished with wall paper or plastic laminate, and it's a not as handsome as real mahogany. It is, however, brighter inside, something we've tried to accomplish with lights and mini blinds that open totally.

I don't dislike these boats, but I'd rather say I prefer the older style that looks more along traditional lines.

Interesting find!

Paul

December 29th, 2006, 12:14 pm #4

Strange looking 38' on Ebay in need of alot of TLC. Anybody close to it that could look at it? I wonder how much it would cost in fuel to cruise it to north Florida?

Wes

edit comment: As time would eventually show, the boat noted in Wes's post above was eventually acquired by Steven, who posted the acknowledgement here, and offered some additional photos, one of which is posted below. Now we have a complete documentation on this unique evolution of the 38 Commander hull. Cool eh?

<HR WIDTH="100%" COLOR="##666699" SIZE="11">PHOTO OF THE DAY AWARD (January 24, 2007)

Edit Comment: "The photo above was awarded the "Photo of the Day" on January 24 because of the interesting photo composition and great story about how this boat was acquired, and how it is being upgraded now. This boat has the distinction of having been spotted for sale on Ebay, had been identified and discussed here on the Forum, and then re-discovered after it was acquired. Steven is the lucky new owner who reported in to the Forum, and he's presently in the process of getting this interesting piece of Chris Craft boating history ready for service next season!

Nice job Steven!

(ABOVE:) Here is a 1971 38’ Sedan Flybridge, with the “second generation” topsides and cabin layout. Steven just acquired this boat, and the photo above shows the unique topside design of the 38 Commander, as it evolved into the first big model change of the cabin. This is the first one of it’s kind to be documented here, and we’re happy to be able to feature photos of this interesting evolution of the Commander hull.

The boat has recently been acquired, it’s on the hard now and it’s being readied for a relocation cruise. Three generations of family members have been able to assist in the fun so far, and this is the stuff great memories are made of. That's Steven's Dad in the photo, by the way, and it's always great to see family members like this getting a piece of the excitement and fun. Congratulations to Steve!

Paul,
forum moderator
hello,first i need to say this has got to be the best forum i have ever seen.i review this forum every morning since i purchased this boat.she is currently dry docked in toms river n.j,i plan on running her up the hudson to my hometown of marlboro n.y in the spring, after i go thru all her mechanics. this boat shows only 1000 hrs on the meters with only 2 previous owners.anyway i want to say thanks for all the advice you guys give to us "newbies"

Paul
Paul

December 29th, 2006, 4:31 pm #5

Hey Congratulations! This is the only Commander of it's kind in our group right now, and it looks like it could be brought up to a really nice standard. There is a LOT of info here that you can use to restore, maintain, and operate this boat. Look through the MASTER INDEX. The more you look there, the more you will find! As you have opportunites to take photos, etc., please keep us posted on your work and boating fun!

Regards, all the best,
Paul
forum moderator

January 8th, 2007, 6:42 pm #6

once again great forum!any advice on what i should check on before i run this boat home[ about150 miles].i am not new to boating,just new to one this big.i did the obvious-all belts and hoses,i installed pertronix kits,all new ignition components,new carbs,new fuel pumps with all new lines and double fuel filters with electric pumps for back ups.new stats,im going thru all the wiring now and plan on checking out the generator as well as adjusting the valves in the spring.should i change all riser gaskets? rebuild sherwood pumps? as far as the transmission,shafts,rudders,steering go, this is where my big concern is as this is all new to me.any advice would be helpful!!-thanks again

Paul
Paul

January 8th, 2007, 8:25 pm #7

With an old boat, you never know what's going to present itself as a problem first, second, or third. The longer you own the boat, the more assurance things will go smoothly, but starting off on a 150 mile trip with a new boat, you are very wise to tend to all of the issues you have noted. Even with all of the good work, something will probably still sneak in there to become some sort of an issue.

Unless you rebuild the Sherwood pumps, you have little to no assurance of what the impellers are like. Chances are they're okay, but facts are facts. If you are getting good flow from each motor, the impellers should be okay. Any service history would certainly do you some good. One thing about impellers that are stored in water, they generally have a long shelf life.

Riser gaskets probably are not on the critical path like impellers are, so I wouldn't worry about them.

With all of the new equipment you have installed, it would be very good if you did some cruising as a shakedown prior to the 150-mile trip. Get the motors hot, see how they run, etc. If you have any kind of a vapor lock issue, or whatever, it should manifest itself on the short test runs.

You mentioned you would check the vales in the spring. I'd do it now, before embarking on the 150 mile trip. Pop the valve covers, run your feeler gauge through and see what you have, rather than leaving it to chance. My prev owner had the valves so poorly set on one of my 427 motors, it had no compression at all in one cylinder. Running the motor fast with that setup could have caused me some damage, as the rocker arm was set way too tight.

Hoses, belts, ignition, carbs, filters, sheesh you seem to have covered things well. Have you drawn any fuel off from the bottom of the tank to see what it looks like? I would suggest you get a long fuel hose, and siphon some fuel into a vac container to see if it's clear, or if it has debris. See Curt Hills great thread here http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1146731677

If your tanks have similar debris in the bottom, it's only a matter of time before you start getting running problems, as it may clog the system before fuel ever even gets to the filters. Wire on a weight to the bottom of your fuel line and draw some off the bottom of the tank, that will tell you what you have. If you get debris you may want to keep on pumping it out.

During your cruise, I would not push it hard. Err on the safe side and run those engines at slow planing speeds. My 38 will plane nicely around 2600 rpm, and the engines are happy at that speed.

Plan your scheduled stops and emergency stops in advance, know what you have at your option in the event you need it.

Where are you running the boat from, and what destination are you headed for? Just curious, as the boat seems to be on the East Coast from quick glance at the ebay info.

Another thread you may want to read through is Mark Wellers maiden voyage, bringing a new boat back on a relatively long run. These initial runs are notorious for bring up problems, becuase the boats generally have been sitting quite some time until they're sold, and then the new owners are anxious to get on the water. http://www.apyc.org/chriscraft/voyage_to_home.htm

Good luck, sounds like an exciting trip.
All the best, take photos!

Paul

Dave Mehl
Dave Mehl

January 8th, 2007, 11:08 pm #8

hello,first i need to say this has got to be the best forum i have ever seen.i review this forum every morning since i purchased this boat.she is currently dry docked in toms river n.j,i plan on running her up the hudson to my hometown of marlboro n.y in the spring, after i go thru all her mechanics. this boat shows only 1000 hrs on the meters with only 2 previous owners.anyway i want to say thanks for all the advice you guys give to us "newbies"
Hello Steven, and congratulations for your Commander purchase. I read through the ebay info and it sounds like you got yourself a well-cared-for Commander. Reading some of the info you have posted, it also sounds like you took after all of the things that might represent a running liability too.

These boats are solid all the way around, and if the previous owner was a responsible guy, which it appears he was, then the boat should be in very good mechanical condition. 1000 hours on one of these big motors is nothing.

Be sure to look at the electrical connections at batteries, and importantly, the ground and the positive terminal at the starter too. Be sure to also check the ignition switch itself. I learned something here on the forum, and that is if the ign switch is wiggling a bit as you use it, sooner or later the wires will fail due to fatigue, and mine did about three weeks after I read about the potential problem here.

I would change the oil ad filters if you don't know how many hours are on it. Just my four cents worth.

Dave

Dave Mehl
Dave Mehl

January 24th, 2007, 9:12 pm #9

once again great forum!any advice on what i should check on before i run this boat home[ about150 miles].i am not new to boating,just new to one this big.i did the obvious-all belts and hoses,i installed pertronix kits,all new ignition components,new carbs,new fuel pumps with all new lines and double fuel filters with electric pumps for back ups.new stats,im going thru all the wiring now and plan on checking out the generator as well as adjusting the valves in the spring.should i change all riser gaskets? rebuild sherwood pumps? as far as the transmission,shafts,rudders,steering go, this is where my big concern is as this is all new to me.any advice would be helpful!!-thanks again
How's it coming with your new Commander? Just wondering if you have made the trip yet. I hope everything is going your way.

Dave

Paul
Paul

January 24th, 2007, 10:13 pm #10

Wes

Nice job Steven!

Paul,
forum moderator
Here are some marketing images that should help document this one !

Steven, I'm with Dave, how you coming with yours, buddy!

Regards, Paul