* Well I hugged a 427 last night and guess what?

* Well I hugged a 427 last night and guess what?

Paul
Paul

October 11th, 2011, 5:24 pm #1

.........they're heavy! I'm working on a big dog in the evenings, in my basement. It is quite the beast, there is not one thing about that motor that doesn't way a ton, it seems. The iron intake manifold weighs in at 80 pounds. I would love to go aluminum heads, but hey, the ones on the motor are fine and I have spares stashed away too.

I have to go to the auto parts store this evening to get some sockets specially needed to remove the paragon transmission. It is time to start mating up the Borg Warner and getting into the flow of the off-season push. Oh yeah, I also need a 1" socket, big enough to go around that forward crankshaft bolt, rotating things with the breaker bar to be sure everything is nicely in tune and properly lubed. Performer RPM intake manifold will be in the works soon. Sometime in mid winter I may open the garage door and point the exhausts toward the neighbors house on the opposite ridge, just to let em know I'm still here. Rest assured I'll get that on youtube.

Hey Brian, my wire looms look better than yours, lol !

Regards,

Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on May 17th, 2012, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Didier
Didier

October 11th, 2011, 9:41 pm #2

Your V8 is not so heavy, i think my Volvo Penta 6 in line (with aluminium head) is heavier because engine block is for diesel energy, and extremely reliable but the weight !!
last week ( sunday 2 october) i moved back my 27CCC nearer to my home , we made a 90 kms ( 60 miles ?) trip on the Seine , dropped the anchor and made a picnic , it was a sunny day , the last for 2011, very cool and the volvo was happy and me too!!! it's a wonderfull engine, not powerfull but well balanced ( no vibrations ) , not noisy too much ( i made insonorisation perfect ) ,i am very confident with it, when we travelled on the Normandy coast in 2099, it was without any issue .
As for the neighbours: before putting it in my boat, i started it in my garage, with a hose and water for cooling system, the neighbours still remind that !!!ahah !!

Regards
Didier

anonymous
anonymous

October 11th, 2011, 9:47 pm #3

2009 !!!not 2099!!

Paul
Paul

October 11th, 2011, 10:15 pm #4

The blocks themselves may be pretty close, but the fact that the big ford has an iron intake and heads, along with two (2) complete exhaust manifolds and risers makes this thing very difficult to manhandle. Watch those fingers! Ouch!

This happens to be the motor I'm actually working on now, oops no it's the one in the truck (RH rotation). That's my buddy Dave the day we picked them up in Maryland.

We put a timber all the way through the cab door to door, and ran a winch from the port from the cab to the rear box, pulled and pushed them into the truck. Would you believe, I unloaded both of these motors myself, and it was about 1/2" at a time and a lot of patience. Things are better now

Best,

Paul

October 11th, 2011, 10:48 pm #5

'cause the VP D6 weighs in at 1541 lbs. That's without a tranny.

The 427 with reduction gear tranny is 1232 lbs.

Both listed as approximate dry weights.

Those diesels are HEAVY.

Thanks!

Kevin Bray
'06 CC Launch 22
FXA-31-4049

October 11th, 2011, 10:51 pm #6

That 1541 lbs does include the transmission. So the D6 (if that's what he's got) is 25% heavier (dry weight) than the 427 with reduction gear.

Thanks!

Kevin Bray
'06 CC Launch 22
FXA-31-4049

Eric Jensen
Eric Jensen

October 12th, 2011, 1:50 am #7

.........they're heavy! I'm working on a big dog in the evenings, in my basement. It is quite the beast, there is not one thing about that motor that doesn't way a ton, it seems. The iron intake manifold weighs in at 80 pounds. I would love to go aluminum heads, but hey, the ones on the motor are fine and I have spares stashed away too.

I have to go to the auto parts store this evening to get some sockets specially needed to remove the paragon transmission. It is time to start mating up the Borg Warner and getting into the flow of the off-season push. Oh yeah, I also need a 1" socket, big enough to go around that forward crankshaft bolt, rotating things with the breaker bar to be sure everything is nicely in tune and properly lubed. Performer RPM intake manifold will be in the works soon. Sometime in mid winter I may open the garage door and point the exhausts toward the neighbors house on the opposite ridge, just to let em know I'm still here. Rest assured I'll get that on youtube.

Hey Brian, my wire looms look better than yours, lol !

Regards,

Paul
Are you talking about these bolts used to attach tranny to bell housing?

A regular round socket or end wrench works just fine on them

Eric

Glenn
Glenn

October 12th, 2011, 1:11 pm #8

As long as the wrench or socket has 12 points your good to go.

Glenn

Paul
Paul

October 12th, 2011, 1:22 pm #9

I stopped by the parts store last night, looked at the sockets they had, took a chance and picked out two, one TORX and the other a 1" for the crank, only to find out both were the wrong size. Oh well I'll be back for an exchange tonight. Yes I do recall a regular socket out of my collection works on that odd bolt head. Wonder why they used a couple of those, but regular hex everywhere else?

Thanks for the tips guys, appreciated.

Best,

Paul

Paul
Paul

October 12th, 2011, 1:24 pm #10

Are you talking about these bolts used to attach tranny to bell housing?

A regular round socket or end wrench works just fine on them

Eric
Yes indeed, I just glanced at it the other day, forgot I could use a regular socket (12 pt as Glenn noted). Oh well, not to worry.

regards,

Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on October 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.