Paul
Paul

October 8th, 2007, 12:37 am #141

Here's the 31' Commander Sedan, powered with 327Q motors. This boat is in SUPERB condition, the chrome is perfect, the motors are low hours, and it runs like a champ.

Here is SHADY LADY out on the Cumberland. We were transferring a camera at the time, and I took the opportunity to take a photo of them! I understand there is another series of photos that were taken with another camera too. It will be fun to see those too!

Yes, they're running with the fender down, proof that Canadians aren't the only people who do this, lol.

Here are the Pletcher's aboard SHADY LADY, motoring in to say "that was fun!" after the photo shoot.

This was a great day on the water, and a wonderful way to spend some fun time with your family. Janet didn't attend this run, because she had other obligations, and it allowed me to spend as much time as I needed to to be sure the boat is ready for Old Hickory Lake (which it is! )

In the next few weeks, and all through the autumn season, we'll be cruising this boat on Old Hickory. We'll also be running the big dogs in the 38 Express too, on the same water these photos were taken.

Regards,

Paul

Tom Slayton
Tom Slayton

October 8th, 2007, 12:44 pm #142

Well today we ran the boat for the second time, and this time we ran it hard and long. It was a chance to try out the new carb. Yes, I still have the old ignition points, but I added the new plug wires and new plugs too. The new carb worked very well, but it appears there is too much carb at wide open throttle. We'll take care of that with a jet change.

The good news, is the boat ran like a scalded cat. At first we blew some oil smoke. The boat actually has not run long enough to burn off the ATF and motor oil that got into the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipes. I oiled everything down bigtime before spinning the motor, and the low temp idle runs I've had in the driveway have not gotten the system hot enough to burn all the oil away. That's my theory anyway.

After checking to be sure the tightened rudder log and shaft log was not taking on water, we fired it up and let it circulate some water. It drew a crowd!! People were asking lots of questions, two women said they loved the color, ha ha.

Today we were prepared for photos too, and we had a 31' Commander Sedan powered by twin 327Q motors as our photo boat !!!!!!!!

Here is a photo of my mom and dad, who gave me a hand, took the speed photos, and paced me on the river in their 31' Commander.

After the obligatory check-this-check-that routine, we finally pushed off and did a little testing of the transmission linkage. I found out the transmission was not full of ATF last time, and I was hopefull the shifting would improve this time. It did.

It was a beautiful day in Tennessee, just spectacular in every way. This photo shows the boat being tested in forward and reverse, just checking things. That's my mother watching!! It was a fun family event.

more photos in next posting...................

regards, Paul

Congrats, Paul, the boat looks like a blast, and it's obvious you and your family are dyed-in-the-wool Chris Craft people.

Tom

John Kloka
John Kloka

October 8th, 2007, 1:47 pm #143

Well today we ran the boat for the second time, and this time we ran it hard and long. It was a chance to try out the new carb. Yes, I still have the old ignition points, but I added the new plug wires and new plugs too. The new carb worked very well, but it appears there is too much carb at wide open throttle. We'll take care of that with a jet change.

The good news, is the boat ran like a scalded cat. At first we blew some oil smoke. The boat actually has not run long enough to burn off the ATF and motor oil that got into the exhaust manifold and exhaust pipes. I oiled everything down bigtime before spinning the motor, and the low temp idle runs I've had in the driveway have not gotten the system hot enough to burn all the oil away. That's my theory anyway.

After checking to be sure the tightened rudder log and shaft log was not taking on water, we fired it up and let it circulate some water. It drew a crowd!! People were asking lots of questions, two women said they loved the color, ha ha.

Today we were prepared for photos too, and we had a 31' Commander Sedan powered by twin 327Q motors as our photo boat !!!!!!!!

Here is a photo of my mom and dad, who gave me a hand, took the speed photos, and paced me on the river in their 31' Commander.

After the obligatory check-this-check-that routine, we finally pushed off and did a little testing of the transmission linkage. I found out the transmission was not full of ATF last time, and I was hopefull the shifting would improve this time. It did.

It was a beautiful day in Tennessee, just spectacular in every way. This photo shows the boat being tested in forward and reverse, just checking things. That's my mother watching!! It was a fun family event.

regards, Paul

Just kidding... Thanks for sharing these great images, and thanks for ressurecting a great little "big" boat. Someday soon I hope to get down there and beg a ride!

P.S.
I can't stop staring at the 31, either

Paul
Paul

October 8th, 2007, 2:12 pm #144

Yes, it is about time! I've had so many trips out of town, I can jump on the net for a few moments, but I can't find blocks of real quality time to work on big projects at home. I have a few other items to deal with, and then we're off to Old Hickory to see how it likes the relatively big open water.

That 31 Commander is one sweet boat, and it will fly. The 31 Sports Express came with 427 motors, but this sedan wouldn't be able to hold those big dogs, because the bulkhead is too tight to the smaller motor in this sedan configuration. We found it about 10 years ago with VERY low engine hours, and the guy didn't come off the price "one dime" as he practically yelled during the (gulp) "negotiations" (if you want to call it that).

We thought it was worth the price if we were going to keep it in the family a while, and it's been one great boat.

As for the little boat, it's a blast, and quite an interesting ride too. The lapstrake bottm cushions the water, it's like a limo. Hit a wake and you think "what wake"?? Since it has a vestige of a keel, and a fairly deep V, it wants to continue going straight when you turn the wheel at high speed, well sort of. It steers fine at speed, but nothing like a ski boat. I'm accustomed to the flat bottom slide turn of a Chris runabout, and this boat won't do that. No problem, however, so we'll have to do some sweeping turns for the water skiiers.

Regards,

Paul

James Brunette
James Brunette

October 8th, 2007, 7:06 pm #145

regards, Paul

Your total restoration took a while, but the results speak very well for themselves. I don't see anything that was done, that is short of first class. Now you know what you have, you apparently lucked out with the motor.

Watching the project has been an inspiration. I hope it gives you many years of service.

James

February 6th, 2018, 8:44 pm #146

Looks very nice Paul! Is the mag wheel coating the finish that you are going to use on the windshiled frame too?

Regards

Rickard
This thread sparks interest because I am planning for re-plating of hardware and stumbled across a chrome powder coat. I ordered a sample of it and it looks pretty good but hard to make a determination based on a sample that's 1/2"X3".
Just wondering if anyone out there has tried it and if so how realistic does it look.

Craig

Paul
Paul

February 6th, 2018, 10:36 pm #147

The body of my Morse unit peeled

Paul

Rich Duane
Rich Duane

February 7th, 2018, 3:33 pm #148

I've found that you have to remove the chrome in order to have a finish stay in place. The paint just will not stay in place.

Regards.
Rich

Paul
Paul

February 7th, 2018, 9:46 pm #149

I think I may have just put it on too thick, may have had the nozzle too close. Maybe I'll just sand it down again and give it a cost of Gibbs Brand.

http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/

Regards,
Paul

March 22nd, 2018, 10:59 am #150

This thread sparks interest because I am planning for re-plating of hardware and stumbled across a chrome powder coat. I ordered a sample of it and it looks pretty good but hard to make a determination based on a sample that's 1/2"X3".
Just wondering if anyone out there has tried it and if so how realistic does it look.

Craig
It looks like chrome but if it gets over baked it will turn grey, also you half bake it and then you have to put a coat of clear powder coat fully baked at 400 deg. for 20 min. then it will look like chrome, go on line to www.prismaticpowders.com

Super Chrome
Item: USS-4482
Description:
Super Chrome is the industry's brightest and most reflective chrome powder coating on the market. With unparalleled chrome appearance and unmatched reflectivity, it replicates real chrome better than any other chrome powder available. This color is a polyurethane solid tone powder coat and has a high gloss finish.

To maintain a true chrome like appearance, a top coat of Clear Vision (PPS 2974) is required. Alternatively, any Prismatic transparent, candy, or various gloss clears, may be used depending on your desired finish.

Spend $100 = 1 FREE lb. of Prismatic Powder! Prismatic Powders would like to give you a free pound of; Ink Black PSS-0106, Clear Vision PPS 2974, or Super Chrome USS 4482 with any and every purchase over $100! Please keep in mind that the item MUST be in the cart. You will then enter the promo code of; FREEINK, FREECLEAR, or FREE CHROME!

High Gloss: 85+ Gloss Units