Update on GHOST RIDER, 23' Commander !

Update on GHOST RIDER, 23' Commander !

Bill P
Bill P

October 20th, 2008, 2:04 am #1

Just working the bugs out of Ghost Rider's rebuilt 327 and drive train (trans and V-drive). Running too lean and timing needs to be tweaked. I have about 4 hours on her. Now winterized and off to indoor storage for the winter.

I have great video. It's being edited and will be ready in about a week.

Could not be happier w/ the rebuild. 327Q that really performs. I'm going to need to change my prop for next season. I had a Comp Cam Extreme Marine roller cam installed with Dart SS heads. All blueprinted by a racing engine machine shop. 3/4 throttle and I'm at 4000rpm. Power all the way up past 5000rpm. It just keeps accelerating!. The video really catches the power w/ a few fly by shots. Don't know the true HP but estimated at around 320+.
Now I have my winter check list which seems manageable.

Bill P
Traverse City, MI
Ghost Rider
FRBV-23-0002

edit comment: Links below added

Here is the link to Bill's restoration thread.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1176411603

Here is a link to Bill's motor rebuild thread
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1200932094
Last edited by FEfinaticP on October 20th, 2008, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill P
Bill P

October 20th, 2008, 2:05 am #2

Paul
Paul

October 20th, 2008, 3:12 am #3

Good going Bill, and the cam/Dart cylinder heads seem to be working great for you. How does she idle down, does it dock okay, top end at 5000 seems to be awesome so if it's the same prop you had before and the boat now wants to rev that high, it really is putting out some more horses. We have been having fun with our Skiff this summer, but despite the fun, we still only have 17 hours on the meter.

That new motor will take a while to break in properly, and it will be some fun finding the right prop. Hey, you don't happen to need a RH 14 x 16 for a 1" shaft do ya??

Regards,

Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on October 20th, 2008, 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wes Stinson
Wes Stinson

October 20th, 2008, 3:21 am #4

How's the gelcoat on the old gal? I cant really get a good indication of how it looks because it appears to be wet... Still, looks FANTASTIC, i wish my 23' was that nice!

Larry Galloway
Larry Galloway

October 20th, 2008, 2:19 pm #5

Just working the bugs out of Ghost Rider's rebuilt 327 and drive train (trans and V-drive). Running too lean and timing needs to be tweaked. I have about 4 hours on her. Now winterized and off to indoor storage for the winter.

Could not be happier w/ the rebuild. 327Q that really performs. I'm going to need to change my prop for next season. I had a Comp Cam Extreme Marine roller cam installed with Dart SS heads. All blueprinted by a racing engine machine shop. 3/4 throttle and I'm at 4000rpm. Power all the way up past 5000rpm. It just keeps accelerating!. The video really catches the power w/ a few fly by shots. Don't know the true HP but estimated at around 320+.

Bill P
Traverse City, MI
Ghost Rider
FRBV-23-0002

Hi all, lurker here, Commander wannabe someday (soon). I passed up one of these six years ago, and I have been lamenting the fact ever since. Now our interests have turned to a possibly larger Commander, but this is THE boat I would love to have.

Bill, great job on the boat, love the interior you added.

Larry G

October 20th, 2008, 2:42 pm #6

How's the gelcoat on the old gal? I cant really get a good indication of how it looks because it appears to be wet... Still, looks FANTASTIC, i wish my 23' was that nice!
Hello Wes,
The gelcoat is fine. She sat outside all summer, no wax. But it cleans up really easy.
I have been following the progress of your 23, Looks and sounds great!
Thanks,
Bill

Paul
Paul

October 20th, 2008, 3:12 pm #7

Guys,

Having a couple 23' Commanders at the next big Commander Rendezvous on Lake Erie would be loads of fun!

You would both be celebrities having received this world-wide coverage, and who knows, there may even be a leading role in a full length movie at stake here.

I'm sure you saw all the photos from the 2008 event............check your schedules far in advance! Believe it or not, we already have boats and hotel rooms booked for 2009 already. Those people who attended in August of 2008, know what fun this was, and it's going to be a logarithmic increase in boats, people, information, and fun in 2009!

Here is some info on 2009! Having a pair of V-drive twenty threes would sure spice up the event!
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1223400074

Regards,

Paul

October 20th, 2008, 4:03 pm #8

Bill P
Traverse City, MI
Ghost Rider
FRBV-23-0002

Bill, seeing your boat there on the water with the autumn leaves in the background, shows off some of Michigan's finest. Good to see you are still on the water this time of year, it sure is pretty "up there". Here in the Huntsville area, it's still mostly green. You look like you are three weeks or so ahead of us.

Personally, I think the 23 is the ideal big water fiberglass runabout of all time. Not much out there that has the lines and the functional utility, and the ride, that compares favorably with the 23' Commander.

Howard

John Kloka
John Kloka

October 21st, 2008, 5:21 pm #9

These boats sure do look good standing still... in a minimalist sort of way. I think they look aggressive, yet this was achieved with a noticeable lack of air scoops, lightning bolts and other ilk of the sort. Here's a pic of my 23, though not a Commander, she kinda looks like a shark from this angle, the way the bow slopes down...

Paul
Paul

October 21st, 2008, 5:40 pm #10

I am a student of the Bauhaus design movement from Germany in the early 1900's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauhaus.

Architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe adopted the motto "Less is more" to describe his aesthetic tactic of arranging the numerous necessary components of a building to create an impression of extreme simplicity, and this same Bauhaus mentality seems to have become the national engineering approach from Germany in early years, even Porsche had a motto for their byline in more recent modern times "forget the unnecessary", which was a direct reference to the Bauhaus design mentality. Those early cars were simplistic, spartan, totally functional, not much chrome, but they would run like a scalded cat over a road course. It was a long time coming, that Mercedes even allowed themselves to install tail lights with extra flutes, because "ornamentation" or mindless "surface entertainment" was frowned upon. Now everyone seems to be trying to outdo each other and the purity of form seems to have been lost to all but a few isloated automobile models here and there, some from the US, Germany, Italy and Japan now. Same with boats, there are still some fabulous traditional simplistic classic designs, but there are also many faddish whims that will not stand the test of time.

The "less is more" motto seems to have been revised to "less is a bore" during more recent times, with some automobiles and boats having scoops everywhere, and many not even functional.

American architectural giant Louis Sullivan developed the shape of the tall steel skyscraper in late 19th Century Chicago at the very moment when technology, taste and economic forces converged violently and made it necessary to drop the established styles of the past. If the shape of the building wasn't going to be chosen out of the old pattern book something had to determine form, and according to Sullivan it was going to be the purpose of the building. It was "form follows function", as opposed to 'form follows precedent'. Sullivan's assistant Frank Lloyd Wright adopted and professed the same principle in slightly different form—perhaps because shaking off the old styles gave them more freedom and latitude.

I'm dead certain Dick Avery learned all about the Bauhaus movement, less is more, form follows function, at the Cleveland Art Institute, where he studied design. His designs are functionally beautiful and yes, minimalistic, in the approach to utility and proportion. It is remarkable, that 30 and 40 years later, with all sorts of designers working overtime in all parts of the world, that Mr. Avery's designs still stand the test of time and look so good. This is true of all the Lancers, many of the Corsairs, and most of the Commander line (he did not do the design for the original 38, but I believe he had a hand or "the hand" in all Commanders that followed).

regards,

Paul