Trim Tabs on our 1974 23' Lancer and more

Glenn F
Glenn F

May 10th, 2012, 11:41 pm #1

Paul and all,

I sort of screwed up ym pictures. I have been orginizing my pictures on photobucket and forgot about moving them and losing there path. OOPs
Here is the link and the first picture is the tabs I just added. The rest of the pictures are all mixed up, but you can sort of piece them together.

http://s450.photobucket.com/albums/qq22 ... ?start=all

Glenn

May 11th, 2012, 1:54 am #2

Glenn, your work is very impressive. The tabs looks great as does the rest of the boat. I also liked the idea of filling in the prop pocket and adding another drain. I added another drain on mine in the transon so it helps , but i still have some water that accumulates. Phenominal work !!!!!!

Glenn F
Glenn F

May 11th, 2012, 1:37 pm #3

Steve,

Thanks.
It does make for a nicer bilge and lower transom area, solid.
AlthoughtitI did create a a new low spot under the motor, but the bilge pump takes care of it.
Glade you like it.

Glenn

Glenn F
Glenn F

June 10th, 2012, 3:03 pm #4

Paul and all,

Paul, I know you're not a big swim platform fan on the Lancers, but they are practial in some cases. Here is what I did.

Stainless Steel brackets, power coated in white.

We are getting her wet for the first time this season today.

Glenn

Martin
Martin

June 10th, 2012, 4:02 pm #5

Glenn,
Thanks for sharing all the photos. The bilge and the dash are pieces of art.
I will use your pics as inspiration when it's time for me to attack those parts of the boat.
Enjoy your first day on the water.
Martin

Paul
Paul

June 10th, 2012, 7:21 pm #6

Paul and all,

Paul, I know you're not a big swim platform fan on the Lancers, but they are practial in some cases. Here is what I did.

Stainless Steel brackets, power coated in white.

We are getting her wet for the first time this season today.

Glenn
Hey nice job, good workmanship, clean, not too big, functional, very handy getting in and out of the boat.

Paul

Glenn F
Glenn F

June 11th, 2012, 1:45 am #7

Thanks for the kind words guys.
Now with the 80# windsheild drag and the 100# of hardware I hung on the stern I might need more horsepower, or at least thats my story and I'm sticking to it.
Maybe some day, right now the 360 CM is holding it's own. The new trim tabs worked great.
Here is a picture of the braces and tabs, and yes the swim platform is shading the cool exaust

I also did a quick refinish of the stern deck, it was beat up with all kinds of old hardware holes. I only went up to mid cleats, did put new cleats on the stern.
I spray painted it using all Interlux Brightside products, learned a few things.
I need to trim and finish a little more.
The entire deck and haul needs to be done someday.

Had a great day on the water, I hope other enjoyed their waters as well.

Glenn

Paul
Paul

June 11th, 2012, 1:53 pm #8

You guys with the completed Lancer projects are really making me look bad, but at least I got aboard TRADITION Friday afternoon, all is well, ran a short run to be sure all the fluids were circulated properly, etc. I will be popping a pair of Edelbrock #1409s on the boat sometime in the near future, I'm sort of tired of the old Carters at this point, think I'll give it a try. After all part of the soothing of the symptoms of boatitis is to spend money on the boat you already have, right? No problem there, I have too many boats now (and too many cars). Anyone want to buy a 1984 944 Porsche, bran new clutch? (Lady driven only on Sundays........at Detroit Dragway......ha......actually runs great).

best

Paul

Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

June 11th, 2012, 2:10 pm #9

Look great Glenn.

Nice to see another gray Lancer in the fleet. I splashed late in the day yesterday for the first time and knock on wood had no issues. For what it is worth I took some speed readings in a strech of protected area and came up with the following. 2 good size guys on board and 1/3 tank of fuel. about 400 hours on a rebuild with a 15 x 16 supercup nibral prop. No tabs.

2800 rpm 19.5 mph
3000 / 23 mph
4150 / 33.5 mph

Faster than my old 73 cruising and in the corner. This boat has a 250 HP G motor versus the 235 Q. Curious what you get with that 360 Chrysler.

Matt Taylor

Paul
Paul

June 11th, 2012, 3:15 pm #10

Here is an interesting comparison, the 23 Commander has much more torque (438 footpounds at 2900 rpm) and 50 more horses so it is an unfair comparison from the start, but the 23 Commander is somewhat hampered (not much, but a little) by the steeper shaft angle of the V-drive. I would not put too much stock in the latter, but it does make a difference. In addition the 23 Commander has no prop pocket, it is deep V all the way with the prop hanging waaaay down there, using what I believe is a direct drive system too and what I believe is a 13" prop spinning much faster than your 15x16 cupped nibral.

So we can assume Chris Craft was possibly bragging a bit on the speed, maybe this is really a 40 mph boat? If that is the case you are (only) 7 miles per hour from what CC got out of a 427 installation.

In any case, the speed numbers you have provided are some great data. The stock 350Q that all these boats came with initially was rated at 235 horsepower and a limit of 4200 rpm. The G motor is rated at 250 horsepower at 4400 rpm, but I have no info on torque or compression ratio so it is tough to compare the two. The 15 horse difference in the two will not make much difference, as it takes considerably more than that to show improved speed numbers on a boat, and it is even more difficult when you get into a deep v with this much hull in the water.

The 23 hull is not necessarily a speed hull in the first place. The deep v design has a lot of wetted area and friction in the water, but the lifting strakes help get the hull out of the water the faster it goes. Nevertheless this boat is never going to be as fast as something with a flat hull profile at the transom. However, these boats BECOME the faster boat as the water turns from dead flat to a light chop, and then when it turns to more than a light chop they are the only ones out there. My 17' Sportsman (1956, 327/300) is a perfect example, it is very fast on flat water but once the swells start to build or heaven forbid, a chop, it becomes pointless and potentially damaging to the hull to press on. In that water my 95 horse Hercules powered 1957 17 Sportsman is just as fast as the 327/300, because the hull profile is the limiting factor.

For my own use here in Tennessee, we do encounter water on Old Hickory Lake that will allow the Lancer Hull to shine. On the Cumberland River where I run my Skiff and TRADITION mostly, the water is almost always dead level flat. I have been out on the big lake many times when it was not wise to run full power due to the hull pounding, the skiff takes the water nicely but it is NO Lancer. I've been aboard a 23 in the past where we approached a significant swell and I put my hand on something to brace myself from the usual pounding I would expect, but it never happened

Regards,

Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on June 12th, 2012, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.