December 8th, 2017, 5:15 pm #41

hi Glen
i have a 1970 lancer 23 Z drive and I plan to add trim tabs
what do you think about this ?
is it really efficient ?
Thank you
Chris: Trim tabs are not really needed the hull performs quite well without them. That being said...they are a worthwhile addition, especially in big water. I installed 10 x 12 Bennett tabs and it is one of the best additions too the boat. The deep v hull is very sensitive to weight distribution especially on plane, I can tell when my 60 pound dog moves from one side to the other on the back seat. A slight amount of tab will eliminate any list caused by uneven weight distribution. When beating into a beam sea a slight raising of the windward side eliminates a lot of pounding and provides a drier ride. They also provide better fuel economy and a faster plane. By properly dialing in a little tab I can gain 2.5 mph on GPS at 2800 RPM over no tab. Judicial use is the key.....as Paul said you don't want to plow the bow down hard you'll greatly loose efficiency and look like a total noobie to boating. Also full retraction is mandatory in a following sea to maintain full control. I love mine and recommend them on this hull, adjustments are made in short pushes of the buttons.Too much tab will definitely adversely effect safety, efficiency, and ride quality....there is a learning curve to using them. before initially setting them in any sea condition its best to zero or fully retract, so you know were the are to begin with. My boat is an inboard not sure how they would be on a trans drive.

December 12th, 2017, 12:44 am #42

Couldn't agree more. Installed on my Commander 23, I find the best use is evening out the weight on plane. Other than that, slight pushes for adjustment. Been awhile since I've been on the site, great info here.

Kent

Glenn F
Glenn F

December 26th, 2017, 1:44 pm #43

Christian,
Sorry I’m just now tuning in.
These guy hit the nail on the head.
Mine was also a straight inboard and using they for weight disbursement has been really helpful, and like Murph said, I could gain a little efficiency.
I sold that Lancer to my brother, but I have another one (straight inboard) with out them and I do miss having tabs.

Glenn

December 26th, 2017, 2:22 pm #44

Couldn't agree more. Installed on my Commander 23, I find the best use is evening out the weight on plane. Other than that, slight pushes for adjustment. Been awhile since I've been on the site, great info here.

Kent
Based on being out on this 427 powered 23 with the weight aft and 3 people aboard several times, and driving, I can say my personal need to spend money and drill holes for tabs would be very small

Any adjustment in running angle would have been awful small. I guess I'm the same with my 38. The boat has them but I've had them set flat for the last 20 years and fuses pulled, have virtually no need for them and all i have to do is use them if I need them, which I don't. Funny how others seem to put a higher priority on things, maybe I'm just a tough sell. To each our own, our boat, our money, our choice !!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_UIEWsnGRCg

Regards,
Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on December 26th, 2017, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 4th, 2018, 3:54 pm #45

I know this is kind of old but I am determining where on the transom to put both Trim Tabs and swim platform brackets.  I was wondering where on the transom you mounted your trim tabs.  I am trying to make sure the Platform and trim tabs don't end up in the same spot. I do want the trim tabs to perform and i know placement has a lot to do with that.  Thanks for any help!
Phil

September 4th, 2018, 8:39 pm #46

Phil,
I just put tabs on my 19' Lancer.  The primary driver was weight distribution - I out weigh my copilot by 150 lbs and was getting tired of the boat listing to my side on plane. I ordered 16 x 12 Lenco tabs.  Wider and shorter might have been better but I have limited real estate on the transom for the transducers to be spaced properly from the prop. Everything I read said to go with the biggest tabs you can fit on the boat.   I just got them installed and have not had a chance to try it out yet.  I don't have a swim platform but I would think the position of the tabs would be more critical than the brackets.The instructions said they needed to be installed  with the outside edge of the tab 1" minimum to 4" maximum in from the Chine.  Mine are at 4" . They could overlap lifting strakes but the edge of the tab needed to be at least 2 1/2 inches either way from the edge of the strake,