Matt Taylor
Matt Taylor

June 11th, 2012, 8:26 pm #11

Interesting stuff Paul. As you can imagine we have very little "flat" water here with a light chop typical. I pounded through some good wake yesterday and was reminded how dry and well behaved this hull really is at any reasonable speed. Not quite like my old 30 Hunt that needed a significant chop to even move things around, but the Lancer performs better than most recent edition 28 footers out there. They really are a great hull design.

Paul
Paul

June 11th, 2012, 10:56 pm #12

Any former owner of a 30' Sportsman will know just about the best of the best, so your comments are very well respected (and appreciated).

The archives are loaded with photos of this model speeding across the chop, here is one such image.

What does get fun is when you are on the water in a craft that is capable of running in the chop, as the 30' Hunt most certainly is, and someone is trying to either keep up or overtake you. If you are in a craft that is uber-capable of handling the chop like the 23 Lancer or Hunt 30, you can just give it a tad more speed and watch the other boat pound the living daylights out of the occupants trying to match the speed, ha. I had one such encounter with the USCG actually, they were in some sort of a patrol RIB design, pretty fast with a big outboard and all, but man that thing was leaping out of the water and pounding the crap out of everyone and they were hell-bent on passing us one day while we were aboard our Sea Skiff. The Sea Skiff has about a 16 degree deadrise and the 23 Lancer has a 23 or 24, so you can see right there how serious the Lancer hull is. I was running pretty comfortably well below full speed, many other boats would have had some pounding going on, and these guys in the RIB were out to prove a point. Had I been in a 23 Lancer it sure would have been fun to pour the coals to it and watch, ha.

best,

Paul

Glenn F
Glenn F

June 12th, 2012, 1:12 pm #13

Look great Glenn.

Nice to see another gray Lancer in the fleet. I splashed late in the day yesterday for the first time and knock on wood had no issues. For what it is worth I took some speed readings in a strech of protected area and came up with the following. 2 good size guys on board and 1/3 tank of fuel. about 400 hours on a rebuild with a 15 x 16 supercup nibral prop. No tabs.

2800 rpm 19.5 mph
3000 / 23 mph
4150 / 33.5 mph

Faster than my old 73 cruising and in the corner. This boat has a 250 HP G motor versus the 235 Q. Curious what you get with that 360 Chrysler.

Matt Taylor
Matt and all,

I have not done any calculations I keep forgetting my GPS. ....... I just wrote myself a note.

The hullside are Steel Grey according to the spec sheet I got for M.M. It was built with a blue anti-fouling bottom and with the white boot strip.

The 360 CM runs good, althought I'd rather have a GM motor, just because of parts avaiable.

Love the open look, I presume you'er following my 36' project and seeing that I'm making it a open sport style.

Happy Boating

Glenn

Paul
Paul

June 15th, 2012, 7:04 pm #14

Look great Glenn.

Nice to see another gray Lancer in the fleet. I splashed late in the day yesterday for the first time and knock on wood had no issues. For what it is worth I took some speed readings in a strech of protected area and came up with the following. 2 good size guys on board and 1/3 tank of fuel. about 400 hours on a rebuild with a 15 x 16 supercup nibral prop. No tabs.

2800 rpm 19.5 mph
3000 / 23 mph
4150 / 33.5 mph

Faster than my old 73 cruising and in the corner. This boat has a 250 HP G motor versus the 235 Q. Curious what you get with that 360 Chrysler.

Matt Taylor
We now have some very good data to further evaluate this hull and inboard configuration.

Regards

Paul

iPhone

Glenn F
Glenn F

June 16th, 2012, 1:13 am #15

Paul and all,

We had four guest in for the Reds and Indians games this past week (Go Reds)and we took them for a ride in the Lancer. It was mid day Wednesday and she performed great, not a lot of traffic.
Sunny and we sweep them.

I was running at 3400 rpm's and she just purred, with little strain. Sweet.
With six full size adults, I est. 1000#, although she used some gas.

Data to come, stay toned.

Glenn

Glenn F
Glenn F

July 15th, 2012, 3:43 pm #16

Paul and all,

We had a rename ceremony for our 23' Lancer. New name is L'il Babe, our 36' is I Got You Babe, so we think is fitting.
Toasting to the North, South, East and West Gods of the Sea.

Throwing a token in the water with the old name Sea Mist

Uncovering the new name.

Checking out the new name.

I would have backed her in, but when I start it up, I get the boat on the other side of the dock wet, oops.

The swim platform and ladder sure make it easy to get on and off when it's on the trailer.

Glenn

Last edited by FEfinaticP on July 20th, 2012, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Glenn F
Glenn F

July 15th, 2012, 3:59 pm #17

Matt and all,

I have not done any calculations I keep forgetting my GPS. ....... I just wrote myself a note.

The hullside are Steel Grey according to the spec sheet I got for M.M. It was built with a blue anti-fouling bottom and with the white boot strip.

The 360 CM runs good, althought I'd rather have a GM motor, just because of parts avaiable.

Love the open look, I presume you'er following my 36' project and seeing that I'm making it a open sport style.

Happy Boating

Glenn
Paul and all,

I used the GPS with the new 13.25 x 15 prop I bought for the 360 CM with 260 HP and at WOT she ran 30 mph at 4700 rpm.
Then I took the 15 x 16 that came with the 73 Lancer I bought, put it on and at WOT she ran 30 mph at 4,100.
If you remember the boat came with a 15 x 17 and the motor could not get past 3,800.
When I had the 13.25 x 15 on her and with six full size adults, she ran smooth and strong.
I'm wandering how she will run with six adults and the 15 x 16?

Glenn

Mike G
Mike G

July 15th, 2012, 5:43 pm #18

Paul and all,

We had a rename ceremony for our 23' Lancer. New name is L'il Babe, our 36' is I Got You Babe, so we think is fitting.

Uncovering the new name.

I would have backed her in, but when I start it up, I get the boat on the other side of the dock wet, oops.

The swim platform and ladder sure make it easy to get on and off when it's on the trailer.

Glenn

Way to go. Your Ceremony way better than Mine, I think some beer was spilled on the deck on accident. I have a name for her but not on the boat. I do Vinyl lettering myself and I can never get time to do it. HA.

Cheers!!!

Paul
Paul

July 16th, 2012, 2:51 pm #19

Paul and all,

Uncovering the new name.

Glenn

The funny thing about your boat, is the fact that I saw it for sale and tried to buy it, but the web site that was hosting the for sale photo was some sort of a deep sea fishing site and they had so many frigging rules about how many postings you had to do before you could do this and that, i finally gave up. I got a politically correct note from their web master and felt nauseaus, thought oh well guess i better look elsewhere. The guy would not give me the phone number or contact info for one of his people who was trying to sell a boat, what a pri*k. You did a better job finding the seller, for sure.

As a matter of fact, the ad is still there and here is the photo, just picked off the site now

http://www.stripersonline.com/t/487040/ ... aft-lancer

In any case Glenn, you got a good one and did an even better job at it than I would have. Congratulations, you turned this one into something you could take guests to after a ballgame and go for a ride in, and that is a far cry from where it was sitting a few years ago. WELL DONE, this is what classic fiberglass boat restoration (and ownership) is all about. Regarding the change of name, I think the ceremony was totally appropriate and hopefully there was someone off camera doing the Chris Craft version of the Roamer Dance, lol.

The unveiling is a hoot too, ha, first time I've ever seen or heard about doing that but very cool.

Thanks for sharing all of this good stuff with us,

Best,

Paul

Paul
Paul

July 16th, 2012, 7:37 pm #20

Paul and all,

I used the GPS with the new 13.25 x 15 prop I bought for the 360 CM with 260 HP and at WOT she ran 30 mph at 4700 rpm.
Then I took the 15 x 16 that came with the 73 Lancer I bought, put it on and at WOT she ran 30 mph at 4,100.
If you remember the boat came with a 15 x 17 and the motor could not get past 3,800.
When I had the 13.25 x 15 on her and with six full size adults, she ran smooth and strong.
I'm wandering how she will run with six adults and the 15 x 16?

Glenn
Well that' some interesting info Glenn, I just looked at the 13.25x15 and the 15x16 and the latter is obviously the more efficient of the two. On paper the smaller diameter prop should be giving you 3-mph more speed but it is apparently reaching a point where it is revving but not getting enough bite, and that is where the bigger diameter comes into play. I suspect sic people aboard will cause the 15x16 to drop some rpm, but CC designed these boats to take on a load and still perform. Will be fun finding out.

The 15x16 at 4100 rpm and the 15x17 at 3800 really help tune your best alternative. The stock prop was a (3-blade) 15x16 cupped, which is going to be just a bit over the 15x16, and 4100 seems to me to be a pretty good max rpm for that boat. People who go to the 4-blade props, by the way, are looking for good mid-range performance and not necessarily top speed, because it is rare if ever that a 4-blade will deliver better top end than a 3 blade. At some point it would be fun to try a 4-blade in the 14x15 range, but endeavors like that can be expensive.

best,

Paul