The Commander Restoration Book has arrived ( approval proof ) Here are some photos

The Commander Restoration Book has arrived ( approval proof ) Here are some photos

Paul
Paul

March 17th, 2011, 7:10 pm #1

Well the long awaited book on fiberglass boat restoration has arrived, featuring
Commanders, Lancers, and Corsair boats. Seeing the proof that arrived yesterday,
it dawned on me, this is not a book someone will pick up and totally devour within
an hour. No way. I think it will take a bit lnger than that for this one, as it
is PACKED with history, information on resins, glass, fuel, motors, pumps, paint,
models, woodworking, and all kinds of personal stories regarding each project.
Herb Pocklington has authored two pieces within the book, and Chris Smith has
reviewed much of it for accuracy and to gain his approval for what is being stated.
I have not counted, but it is safe to say there are over 500 color photos.

Here are some camera phone images of my latest "boating project". Hopefully the
next boating project I do will be working on a 23' Lancer or perhaps, cough, cough,
putting a windshield on my 20' Sea Skiff.

Here is the draft cover, I need to make a small adjustment here to make this volume
a little more compatible with THE LEGACY volume shown behind.

Here is a segment on Eric Jensen's 23 Lancer motor upgrade, and the issues he faced
with cylinder heads not having the drilled bosses for marine equipment. This is
necessary info for anyone doing a motor replacement or upgrade in a classic Chris.

Here is Mike Watson peeling the top of a 1969 Commander 19 SS off for total rebuilding.

Here is the end of the Pateman chapter and the beginning of the Boulanger chapter.

Here is the end of the INSTRUMENTS chapter and the beginning of the MOTORS chapter,
those are photos of Dale Kocian he sent me for the publication.

Here is part of the COOLING chapter with a section from DEPCO pump company, with permission. This chapter has flow diagrams, and photos of how to rebuild a water pump,with photos of my own and those contributed by Dave Krugler.

Here is part of the MOTOR chapter.

Here is the end of the Namken chapter and the beginning of the Klein chapter,
both dealing with 38 Commanders but in totally different ways.

Here is another look at the Pateman chapter.

I am presently in the process of reviewing each page for typo and printing quality
issues, and I will most likely pull the trigger for the first batch of printing to
begin on Monday of next week, this being Thursday.

The intent of this book is to "rock the classic fiberglass boating world" and I made
every attempt to to just that. Time will tell what kind of an impact this will have.

I think the book will pay for itself in assurance, support, techinical knowledge, and all kinds of
tips and techniques, for any fiberglass boat restoration project. You don't need a
computer to see it, you can sit there on the aft deck of your boat with a cold drink
or in your living room watching TV, and see it all by flipping a page or turning to the
chapter that interests you at the moment.

Pricing at this time is not yet finalized, but the ISBN number says $50; it is more likely that established Forum Members will pay $45 (which includes $5 postage). Previous book was 167 pages for the first printing, 178 for the second printing, and this one is now up to 242 pages for the first printing. That's all for now, stay tuned if you are interested in a copy for yourself or as a gift to someone who may be a classic fiberglass boating enthusiast. Books will be sent out to Forum Members on a priority basis, and to others as the supply lasts.

Forum members who want to reserve a book please send me a note at my email
[url=mailto:ChrisCraftCommander@hotmail.com]ChrisCraftCommander@hotmail.com[/url]

You guys who have written a segment of the book or are the subject of an entire chapter in the book are already on the list, yours will be free . That is part of the fun of sharing information, as noted in our web site motto here.

Regards,

Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on March 17th, 2011, 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Krugler
Dave Krugler

March 17th, 2011, 9:56 pm #2

Wow Paul- great job. You must have been burning the midnight oil on this book, it seems like it went from first mention to ready to print in a hurry. We are starting to pick dates to be up at the cottage and I just came in from spraying my rebuilt Sherwood pump with the correct Chris Craft engine paint color (we had a few misfires on that, currently listed Moeller Chris Craft blue is way too dark). Thanks for all you do for us, this is by far the best website I have ever worked with and everyone is very helpful...

Dave

Paul
Paul

March 17th, 2011, 10:02 pm #3

Well the long awaited book on fiberglass boat restoration has arrived, featuring
Commanders, Lancers, and Corsair boats. Seeing the proof that arrived yesterday,
it dawned on me, this is not a book someone will pick up and totally devour within
an hour. No way. I think it will take a bit lnger than that for this one, as it
is PACKED with history, information on resins, glass, fuel, motors, pumps, paint,
models, woodworking, and all kinds of personal stories regarding each project.
Herb Pocklington has authored two pieces within the book, and Chris Smith has
reviewed much of it for accuracy and to gain his approval for what is being stated.
I have not counted, but it is safe to say there are over 500 color photos.

Here are some camera phone images of my latest "boating project". Hopefully the
next boating project I do will be working on a 23' Lancer or perhaps, cough, cough,
putting a windshield on my 20' Sea Skiff.

Here is the draft cover, I need to make a small adjustment here to make this volume
a little more compatible with THE LEGACY volume shown behind.

Here is a segment on Eric Jensen's 23 Lancer motor upgrade, and the issues he faced
with cylinder heads not having the drilled bosses for marine equipment. This is
necessary info for anyone doing a motor replacement or upgrade in a classic Chris.

Here is Mike Watson peeling the top of a 1969 Commander 19 SS off for total rebuilding.

Here is the end of the Pateman chapter and the beginning of the Boulanger chapter.

Here is the end of the INSTRUMENTS chapter and the beginning of the MOTORS chapter,
those are photos of Dale Kocian he sent me for the publication.

Here is part of the COOLING chapter with a section from DEPCO pump company, with permission. This chapter has flow diagrams, and photos of how to rebuild a water pump,with photos of my own and those contributed by Dave Krugler.

Here is part of the MOTOR chapter.

Here is the end of the Namken chapter and the beginning of the Klein chapter,
both dealing with 38 Commanders but in totally different ways.

Here is another look at the Pateman chapter.

I am presently in the process of reviewing each page for typo and printing quality
issues, and I will most likely pull the trigger for the first batch of printing to
begin on Monday of next week, this being Thursday.

The intent of this book is to "rock the classic fiberglass boating world" and I made
every attempt to to just that. Time will tell what kind of an impact this will have.

I think the book will pay for itself in assurance, support, techinical knowledge, and all kinds of
tips and techniques, for any fiberglass boat restoration project. You don't need a
computer to see it, you can sit there on the aft deck of your boat with a cold drink
or in your living room watching TV, and see it all by flipping a page or turning to the
chapter that interests you at the moment.

Pricing at this time is not yet finalized, but the ISBN number says $50; it is more likely that established Forum Members will pay $45 (which includes $5 postage). Previous book was 167 pages for the first printing, 178 for the second printing, and this one is now up to 242 pages for the first printing. That's all for now, stay tuned if you are interested in a copy for yourself or as a gift to someone who may be a classic fiberglass boating enthusiast. Books will be sent out to Forum Members on a priority basis, and to others as the supply lasts.

Forum members who want to reserve a book please send me a note at my email
[url=mailto:ChrisCraftCommander@hotmail.com]ChrisCraftCommander@hotmail.com[/url]

You guys who have written a segment of the book or are the subject of an entire chapter in the book are already on the list, yours will be free . That is part of the fun of sharing information, as noted in our web site motto here.

Regards,

Paul

Well today was a good day.

My review of the proof did not go very well, as I was generally disappointed in the printing quality. I marked several examples, and there are actually a couple photos from THE LEGACY where they printed well there, but did not print well in this book proof.

That REALLY got the attention of my good guy Michael, and we started looking back and forth, and we found three examples of some photos in THE LEGACY that looked great, and the same ones in RESTORATIONS just looked bland by comparison.

Guess what campers?

I clicked on the WRONG BOX FOR PDF QUALITY when I sent the zip file to them.

OMG, ONE MOUSE click, pushes photos from 72 to 300 DPI (dots per inch). I am now extatic, knowing this book will have the same color punch and clarity as THE LEGACY.

Michael complimented me for catching it, said there are too many people who don't look that closely at their proof, and what a shame it would have been to print that in a low resolution master copy.

They are running another proof for me so it looks like this little gremlin will consume a week, but it will be WELL worth it. There is way too much work put into this book, millions of hours of time when you consider the formatting and editing, along with all the real time it took for each project to go through all the phases outlined in these chapters, to print anything sub-standard when QUALITY is such a big part of classic boating and Chris Craft.

Regards,

Paul

Paul
Paul

March 17th, 2011, 10:20 pm #4

Wow Paul- great job. You must have been burning the midnight oil on this book, it seems like it went from first mention to ready to print in a hurry. We are starting to pick dates to be up at the cottage and I just came in from spraying my rebuilt Sherwood pump with the correct Chris Craft engine paint color (we had a few misfires on that, currently listed Moeller Chris Craft blue is way too dark). Thanks for all you do for us, this is by far the best website I have ever worked with and everyone is very helpful...

Dave
........Just got off the phone with my Canadian friends who are doing the printing for me, and wow, what a difference there is between 72 DPI and 300 DPI when it comes to 4-color printing. I sent them the wrong resolution by mistake, thanks to clicking the wrong box when I did the PDF zip file to their FTP site.

We worked through the issues and discovered it, so I am sending another UPGRADED PDF zip tomorrow. Printing quality will be as good as the first and second editions of THE LEGACY.

Thanks for the good words, it is people like you who contribute good info and set such a professional tone around here, that makes it all worth it. The entire group here is exceptional, by far the best web site I've ever been associated with in any way. I try to set the tone, but it just does not work without total cooperation and I think when new people visit the place and get a feel for what is happening here, they pick up on it and then it just builds on itself. Good stuff! Thanks for all your contributions.

Regards,

Paul

Paul
Paul

April 29th, 2011, 8:46 pm #5

Well today was a good day.

My review of the proof did not go very well, as I was generally disappointed in the printing quality. I marked several examples, and there are actually a couple photos from THE LEGACY where they printed well there, but did not print well in this book proof.

That REALLY got the attention of my good guy Michael, and we started looking back and forth, and we found three examples of some photos in THE LEGACY that looked great, and the same ones in RESTORATIONS just looked bland by comparison.

Guess what campers?

I clicked on the WRONG BOX FOR PDF QUALITY when I sent the zip file to them.

OMG, ONE MOUSE click, pushes photos from 72 to 300 DPI (dots per inch). I am now extatic, knowing this book will have the same color punch and clarity as THE LEGACY.

Michael complimented me for catching it, said there are too many people who don't look that closely at their proof, and what a shame it would have been to print that in a low resolution master copy.

They are running another proof for me so it looks like this little gremlin will consume a week, but it will be WELL worth it. There is way too much work put into this book, millions of hours of time when you consider the formatting and editing, along with all the real time it took for each project to go through all the phases outlined in these chapters, to print anything sub-standard when QUALITY is such a big part of classic boating and Chris Craft.

Regards,

Paul

You will note the clarity of this image above (look at the 42 Sports Cruiser) is better than the others I posted, and in reality on the real hard copy proof you can read the numbers on the front of Philippe's boat, and the Chris Craft script is clear too. There is a little clarity lost transferring to the internet jpg format. On the original PDF proof copy you can almost read the brand of sunglasses Philippe is wearing!

I just got off the phone with Doug, he is a master of color and clarity. Michael is very easy to work with too, and I am impressed with these guys.

I appreciate everyone's patience with this project. This book has been a long time coming. It has undergone numerous small and not-so-small tweaks to make it better, and the product now is light years better than it was a month ago. Various typographic errors were discovered and fixed, some formatting was upgraded, some corrupted image files corrected, and the overall clarity of every single page has been upgraded immensely.

There have been a lot of distractions and it has been tough for me to get so very close to the end with that initial push, and then go through a long review period and fight to maintain a focus, and finally finish strong. It is strong, however, and I think all the work is going to show through with brilliant color, clarity, and content.

Thank you again to everyone who had a part indirectly and directly with this book. It is the result of a wonderful collaboration in the electronic age, between many individuals, between many different countries too.

The book is sixty pages bigger than THE LEGACY, and I have advised the printing company that I anticipate a "no-change second printing" in a couple months when it is apparant this version will be sold out. Yes, I do have all of your names who have reserved a copy of the first printing.

At this point, I just get to sit back and wait for the boxes to arrive now. I am DONE, and yes it is about time.

You can expect to see a full blown media barrage on THE FORUM and within other publications just before these arrive. It may be two or three weeks.

Regards, happy Chris Craft boating !

Paul

Kevin Baerg
Kevin Baerg

May 1st, 2011, 5:49 am #6

Proofs look gorgeous!

May 1st, 2011, 12:24 pm #7

Paul,
I don't how you do it, but keep it up. What a great job on everything, from being a true Chris Craft owner, to being extremely knowledgeable and most of all sharing your knowladge.
Thank you for everything.

Glenn
FDA-36-039

Paul
Paul

May 2nd, 2011, 4:13 pm #8

As I get older time is more and more fleeting. When I was younger I had all the time in the world it seems. As of lately it seems the most time I can find for things like the book are in the wee hours of the night, er morning, when I can't sleep and it is very very quiet with no TV on.

Thanks for the good words, it is a collective knowledge around here, we all learn things together every day, and that is part of having fun with boats.

Regards,

Paul

May 17th, 2011, 5:48 pm #9

This chapter starts out with one of my alltime favorite photographs.

The purpose of the book is to set the baseline of quality, and then justify the worthiness of buying one of these boats and putting a lot of time and money into it. This chapter sets the tone. There are 14 chapters dedicated to 14 different boats that follow, with "hundreds" (perhaps 600) color photographs.

I think the book will become a great inspiration to anyone who is has one of these bots and/or is contemplating a restoration. For less than the cost of a can of paint, there is a world of information here that will be invaluable to anyone interested in owning or restoring one of these boats!

Enjoy !

~~~~~copyrighted material, for your personal use only~~~~~
Not for reproduction in any other form.

Yes, the BONAVENTURE and ON TIME names were aligned properly in the final book!

Regards,

Paul

Paul
Paul

May 17th, 2011, 6:05 pm #10

Proofs look gorgeous!
Anticipated arrival date here in Nashville is "the end of May". I am awaiting notification from the printing company of the completion of their work and a request for final payment. This literally should be any day now.

Regards,

Paul