The Chris Craft Roamer, a close cousin to the Commander

The Chris Craft Roamer, a close cousin to the Commander

Paul
Paul

September 29th, 2006, 8:12 pm #1

How close a cousin is the Roamer to the Commander? Well, my 1966 fiberglass Commander was built at the Roamer plant, and as a result the serial number is FXA 38 3004 R (the "R" stands for Roamer) Therefore there's a little bit of Roamer in every Commander, and I dare say some of the boats that still exist out there today share wood from the same sheet of plywood.

The Roamer guys have a nice web site, it can be found here http://www.geocities.com/alloyed2sea/
( the link to The CHRIS CRAFT ROAMER CLUB )
((Edit Comment: Sadly this web site is no more))

Here's their Roamer of the Month

There are most certainly some strong family resemblences here, assuming a certain Mr. Dick Avery had a hand in these boats as well. Anyone out there with info about the Roamer, please feel free to post it here and/or at the Roamer site. We would like to think of these guys as our extended family members, and we know some of our Commander owners of years past, Mark Young being an example, have traded in his nice Commander in favor of a Roamer.

Welcome Roamer owners!

Regards, Paul
forum moderator
Last edited by FEfinaticP on March 20th, 2010, 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

September 29th, 2006, 8:52 pm #2

That's the same gen set I have in my 1966 Commander, that I'm going to ship to Curt Hill in pieces, lol !

Paul

Paul
Paul

September 29th, 2006, 9:08 pm #3

EH
EH

September 29th, 2006, 9:45 pm #4

How close a cousin is the Roamer to the Commander? Well, my 1966 fiberglass Commander was built at the Roamer plant, and as a result the serial number is FXA 38 3004 R (the "R" stands for Roamer) Therefore there's a little bit of Roamer in every Commander, and I dare say some of the boats that still exist out there today share wood from the same sheet of plywood.

The Roamer guys have a nice web site, it can be found here http://www.geocities.com/alloyed2sea/

There are most certainly some strong family resemblences here, assuming a certain Mr. Dick Avery had a hand in these boats as well. Anyone out there with info about the Roamer, please feel free to post it here and/or at the Roamer site. We would like to think of these guys as our extended family members, and we know some of our Commander owners of years past, Mark Young being an example, have traded in his nice Commander in favor of a Roamer.

Welcome Roamer owners!

Regards, Paul
forum moderator
The Commander has that curved semi keel looking design and I can't see how the Roamer works just yet, but the frontal and side views are remarkably similar to the 38.

Ernie Hamilton

September 30th, 2006, 2:14 am #5

Actually, the 38' Commander has a most unique, and seaworthy "sea-gulled" shaped bottom - an attempt to have it both ways: deep-V (wave-cutting) and flat-bottom (faster).
Roamers, on the other hand, started off rather flat-bottomed, and evolved to as much as 11 or 12 degrees deadrise w/hard chines.
A fair compromise (what isnt) that allowed for some wave-cutting capability, and didnt hurt so bad at the gas pump (read wetted surface area). Ask any Bertram owner what if feels like to power/pay for their famed 24 degrees of deadrise (measured at the transom/and dont think that the "lifting strakes" helped much either).

Paul
Paul

September 30th, 2006, 2:26 am #6

Here's a photo of that "sea gulled" hull shape you noted, and yes it's an interesting design, with fairly flat aft sections. I totally agree about the deep-V hulls being slower due to increased wetted area, good solid physics.

Depending upon where you live and boat, I'm sure someone with a flat bottom would gladly trade for a deep-V, and vice versa too. Running a deep-V on the inland waterways would be a recipie for fuel consumption most people wouldn't want, but out on the chop that Bertram is right at home.

Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on September 30th, 2006, 2:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

April 15th, 2008, 5:31 pm #7

Welcome Roamer owners!

Regards, Paul
forum moderator
Here are some great photos Eric has shared with us in the past, and one of the tips that intrigues me is this "Roamer Dance" they do. I'm wondering if I should be doing this for the 2008 commissioning of TRADITION? Anyone else do this at the onset of the season, or at launching?

Here is a link with a lot of great photos of Eric's Roamer (and kids too).
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1166806846

The Roamer Dance being performed at launching !

Regards,

Paul

Paul
Paul

February 22nd, 2009, 2:37 pm #8

Maybe there is some sort of a variation that can be applied to the Chris Craft Commander too?

And here (photo below) is one of the finest Roamers in North America, perhaps THE finest!
KIMBERLY ANN is owned by Al Langolis, and it's a fabulous boat.
I understand Al does the Roamer Dance every time he visits the boat, sometimes before boarding, and sometimes afterwards. What a guy!

(Hi Al! Hope all is well with you and yours, best, regards; Hi Kevin, likewise!!)

Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on March 20th, 2010, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 20th, 2010, 4:16 pm #9

Welcome Roamer owners!

Regards, Paul
forum moderator
Hello all,

I am cross linking the thread below to this initial Roamer thread, to enhance our ability to find Roamer info in the future. The entire story about Brian's fabulous Roamer, featured below, can be found at this link. Enjoy!
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1268839165

As a sidenote, we have yet to confirm the story, but there is a rumor that Brian also does the Roamer Dance every time he visits the boat, but we are not sure whether he does it before boarding, while on board, after coming off the boat, or perhaps some combination thereof. Anyone with a confirmation, please step up!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

WELCOME
Chris Craft Roamer Owners and Fans !

Brian has produced stunning results in aluminum and wood, with his total restoration and repowering of this 1969 38' Roamer Riviera !
1969 was a very good year !

The boat has been repowered with diesels, has custom props, and fabulous woodworking throughout.
Only 7 Rivieras were built with Aluminum this year, and 12 were built of steel.

While this is not a Commander, it was designed and built by Chris Craft, and none other than our Friend-of-the-Forum, Chris Smith, personally tested many of these boats and most likely this one when it left the plant. From the past interest level here on The Forum, we have found there is a respectful appreciation between the Commander and Roamer community, and we're very pleased to have Brian aboard as a contributor and participant here.

Many thanks to Brian for sharing his work with the Commander community here. This Forum is focused on the Chris Craft Commander but we want the Roamer guys to know they're welcome here too, and also to know how much we admire and respect these boats, their owners, and top quality workmanship!

Regards, stay tuned, Paul

Stay tuned, more to come !!

Check out the link referenced at the top of this post, for more photos of Brian's boat, some spec details on engines and speed, and other good stuff as well,

regards,

Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on March 20th, 2010, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Christopher
Christopher

August 24th, 2011, 7:15 pm #10

Welcome Roamer owners!

Regards, Paul
forum moderator
The Roamer guys have a new website. It is here:http://www.reocities.com/alloyed2sea/