Swim platforms on the Commanders.

Swim platforms on the Commanders.

January 21st, 2008, 2:19 pm #1

Readers:
The Summer Palace does not have a swim platform on the aft end and I want to put one on for safty's sake. There are many examples in the Forum's pictures. I especially like Warren's Bambi style with the combination fiberglass and teak (mohagany?). Other that are all fiberglass are easy to maintain, and of course wood adds warmth and richness to the white hulls. I have several questions for those who have them on their boats. I have noticed from some of the pictures and on some of the commanders I have been on, that in some cases, the platform does not go all the way across the beam of the aft, but is about a foot short on either port or starboard side. What's the reason? Looks, money savings, ease of entering the slip? The second question is in regards to locating the platform above, below, or on the splash guard that surrounds the boat. Certainly, it would depend on each boat and how it set in the water, but I don't remember seeing how high above the water the platform sits when the boat is underway. It seems to be a balancing act to get the right height for both situations. We will put hydrolic trim tabs that will help here. What are your experiences? I especially like the picture of the wooden ladder going up the aft end on one of the commanders. Beautiful. I must do that. The last question is the attachment question. How and what is best? Should the platform be made to fold up while underway? I am still looking for the hull number, but not today, it is 15 degrees F here, and too cold If I fall in!
Jerry

January 21st, 2008, 9:45 pm #2

More..........................

Paul
Paul

January 21st, 2008, 9:46 pm #3

more...........................

Paul
Paul

January 21st, 2008, 9:48 pm #4

?t=1200950801

more....................many more.....................

Paul
Paul

January 21st, 2008, 9:48 pm #5

more.........................
Last edited by FEfinaticP on January 21st, 2008, 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

January 21st, 2008, 9:51 pm #6

Paul
Paul

January 21st, 2008, 9:59 pm #7

Here are a couple photos of the 38 without a swim platform. I like the platforms, but there is a certain purity of form with the boat as it came from Chris Craft. It is also easier to manuver in tight places, and those swim platforms won't take much of a nudge, and they can be damaged when a 20,000 boat swings over and kisses a piling with the swim platform. As far as safety, yes, swim platforms are great.

I have heard some stories about waves and backwash slapping onto the swim platform at moderate speed. When the boat is up on a plane, naturally, this should not be a problem as it's flatening out everything in front of it. Maintenance is also an issue. Any time you see a swim platform that is gleaming like it is new, it's because the owner spent a LOT of time making is so (those things don't stay that way on their own!)

Regards,

Paul

Dave Mehl
Dave Mehl

January 21st, 2008, 10:08 pm #8

Readers:
The Summer Palace does not have a swim platform on the aft end and I want to put one on for safty's sake. There are many examples in the Forum's pictures. I especially like Warren's Bambi style with the combination fiberglass and teak (mohagany?). Other that are all fiberglass are easy to maintain, and of course wood adds warmth and richness to the white hulls. I have several questions for those who have them on their boats. I have noticed from some of the pictures and on some of the commanders I have been on, that in some cases, the platform does not go all the way across the beam of the aft, but is about a foot short on either port or starboard side. What's the reason? Looks, money savings, ease of entering the slip? The second question is in regards to locating the platform above, below, or on the splash guard that surrounds the boat. Certainly, it would depend on each boat and how it set in the water, but I don't remember seeing how high above the water the platform sits when the boat is underway. It seems to be a balancing act to get the right height for both situations. We will put hydrolic trim tabs that will help here. What are your experiences? I especially like the picture of the wooden ladder going up the aft end on one of the commanders. Beautiful. I must do that. The last question is the attachment question. How and what is best? Should the platform be made to fold up while underway? I am still looking for the hull number, but not today, it is 15 degrees F here, and too cold If I fall in!
Jerry
(Sorry, couldn't resist).

It never ceases to amaze me what shows up when someone asks a question like this. We don't have a swim platform on our 38, it managed to make it this far without one. I would love to have one, but I am conscious about the maintenance, and it would also break my heart to drill a hole in the boat. We may add some steps like the ones on Changing Channels, as I saw those identical steps on Grosse Ile a few months ago and they lookd good.

Dave

Matt ODonnell
Matt ODonnell

January 22nd, 2008, 12:17 am #9

I am glad you posted all the pictures. This is one of my projects for Changing Channels this winter. I think I am going to build one myself. I just need a pattern to go off of... Hint Hint Hint!!! We have a great lumber yard in the area that I can go and hand pick the teak for the project. I do like the way the boat looks without it but we like to go swimming off the boat and after a few beers those steps are not fun.

Matt ODonnell

Didier
Didier

January 22nd, 2008, 12:17 pm #10

(Sorry, couldn't resist).

It never ceases to amaze me what shows up when someone asks a question like this. We don't have a swim platform on our 38, it managed to make it this far without one. I would love to have one, but I am conscious about the maintenance, and it would also break my heart to drill a hole in the boat. We may add some steps like the ones on Changing Channels, as I saw those identical steps on Grosse Ile a few months ago and they lookd good.

Dave
Hi,
I made my swimplatform in teck 34 mm, over an inox frame ( invisible on photo),and no hole underwater,for safety , and it was very simple to do, you just have to make diving pieces which support the tubes ( sorry i don't know explain correctly,)
regards
Didier
EOS27 fsa "68