Springtime is on the way !!

Springtime is on the way !!

Paul
Paul

February 18th, 2018, 4:30 pm #1

Of course you guys in Florida don't know what "springtime" really is, but for the rest of us who live in cooler climates, it's when warmer weather arrives and boating season begins.

I'm sure there are big ice dunes on the great lakes, especially the south shore of Lake Erie right now, and those last well into warmer weather.

However, temperatures seem to be nice now, we are getting a break in the electric and fuel heating bills, and I even had some flowers popping up in the yard.

It got down into the low single digits here in Nashville this winter so far, and we're more than half way done with winter so I'm hoping for the best. I hauled a lot of firewood and we burned a lot of wood in the two stoves we have, one up in the living room and one in the basement that helps keep the floors warm. Over the winter one of my boating friends, Captain Phil, decided to turn on all his heaters to protect his boat and it ended up sinking the boat. It blew the breaker on the coldest night, the batteries ran low due to constant pumping of bilge water in this old wood boat, and down she went in the night. So sad. We pumped overnight with no avail, and in the morning brought in a gas pump and slowly began to raise the hull. It was only six feet deep in the slip so the top of the boat was still above water but motors got wet. Now that the boat has been up for a week or more it's dry inside and believe it or not things are functioning. I don't know status on the diesels, but will advise later.

Last night we had an impromptu gathering on the 38 Commander and it was great fun. We used the cooking range lower burner to provide a lot of heat in the cabin until it was warm enough, and then we opened up the smoked salmon, salads, plenty ice, beer, mixed drings and TWO GERMAN SHEPHERDS too, lol, one 4-month old pup and our 4-year old "yacht dog" Audrey.

The evening was just spectacular with good friends and no agenda, no pretense, just fun being together. When it came time to open that expensive wild caught salmon, it was discovered there was "a lot of juice in this package" so the package was handed to me and I was designated to go outside and dump the juice in the water, hahaha. So............I was VERY careful getting this potential mess out of the boat, got out onto the dock, and tilted the package to drain out the juice and bingo.......the entire smoked salmon slid out of the package and into the water, sank to the bottom, never to be seen again. Oh well, one of the salads someone brought was topped with salmon too, so we did get a bit, lol. Win a few, lose a few, life goes on.

We are looking forward to a great 2018 season. I will be replacing impellers this week getting ready, since one of the days coming up will be in the high 70s.

Regards,
Paul

February 18th, 2018, 6:27 pm #2

Even the best fishermen lose an occasional fish Paul... cant worry about one that gets away, there's plenty more in the sea/river/...Publix. Sounds like a fun night on the boat. Yes ice out is a long way away on the South Shore of Lake Erie. The name of my 23 Lancer is "South Shore Serenade" but she hasn't been singing lately.

February 19th, 2018, 9:36 am #3

Of course you guys in Florida don't know what "springtime" really is, but for the rest of us who live in cooler climates, it's when warmer weather arrives and boating season begins.

I'm sure there are big ice dunes on the great lakes, especially the south shore of Lake Erie right now, and those last well into warmer weather.

However, temperatures seem to be nice now, we are getting a break in the electric and fuel heating bills, and I even had some flowers popping up in the yard.

It got down into the low single digits here in Nashville this winter so far, and we're more than half way done with winter so I'm hoping for the best. I hauled a lot of firewood and we burned a lot of wood in the two stoves we have, one up in the living room and one in the basement that helps keep the floors warm. Over the winter one of my boating friends, Captain Phil, decided to turn on all his heaters to protect his boat and it ended up sinking the boat. It blew the breaker on the coldest night, the batteries ran low due to constant pumping of bilge water in this old wood boat, and down she went in the night. So sad. We pumped overnight with no avail, and in the morning brought in a gas pump and slowly began to raise the hull. It was only six feet deep in the slip so the top of the boat was still above water but motors got wet. Now that the boat has been up for a week or more it's dry inside and believe it or not things are functioning. I don't know status on the diesels, but will advise later.

Last night we had an impromptu gathering on the 38 Commander and it was great fun. We used the cooking range lower burner to provide a lot of heat in the cabin until it was warm enough, and then we opened up the smoked salmon, salads, plenty ice, beer, mixed drings and TWO GERMAN SHEPHERDS too, lol, one 4-month old pup and our 4-year old "yacht dog" Audrey.

The evening was just spectacular with good friends and no agenda, no pretense, just fun being together. When it came time to open that expensive wild caught salmon, it was discovered there was "a lot of juice in this package" so the package was handed to me and I was designated to go outside and dump the juice in the water, hahaha. So............I was VERY careful getting this potential mess out of the boat, got out onto the dock, and tilted the package to drain out the juice and bingo.......the entire smoked salmon slid out of the package and into the water, sank to the bottom, never to be seen again. Oh well, one of the salads someone brought was topped with salmon too, so we did get a bit, lol. Win a few, lose a few, life goes on.

We are looking forward to a great 2018 season. I will be replacing impellers this week getting ready, since one of the days coming up will be in the high 70s.

Regards,
Paul

but spring birds are beginning to sing and some early flowers are blossoming...
The little sun we're getting is hotter and days are longer, a little hope that we're almost done with this long winter...

Money and women and salmons easy come and easy go!

Have a nice day,

Marco