Splashed the Corsair last week

Splashed the Corsair last week

June 27th, 2012, 6:20 pm #1

Been away from the Forum for a while--busy with new floorboards, rebuilt instruments and rechromed clamshell vents. (I chimed in on the rechroming issue in the thread about the SS rechroming.)

The new plastic gunwale edge molding system worked out well.

Below is a shot of my recently-named (for my grand daughter, pictured in the boat)1968 20' Sea V Corsair, "Norah."

I know, the fenders are on the wrong side, but I was in a hurry for this quick photo op, and the dock-edge strip is soft and non-scuffing.

Next is a new top, later this summer.

Best,

Cliff

Paul
Paul

June 27th, 2012, 6:33 pm #2

Hey I just posted a note to you to send photos and bingo, here is one.

That is a true classic Cliff, enjoy!

Another small detail difference between your Corsair and my Skiff version of the same hull, note the gas filler surround on yours, and then on mine.

Your boat also has the metal clamshells facing forward, and mine has cast-in fiberglass intakes and only the rear vents are metal. Interesting deviation between models and model years. Hey, there are only a few people out there who would know (or appreciate) stuff like this, lol.

best,

Paul

Regards,

Paul

Jerry
Jerry

June 27th, 2012, 7:13 pm #3

Been away from the Forum for a while--busy with new floorboards, rebuilt instruments and rechromed clamshell vents. (I chimed in on the rechroming issue in the thread about the SS rechroming.)

Below is a shot of my recently-named (for my grand daughter, pictured in the boat)1968 20' Sea V Corsair, "Norah."

I know, the fenders are on the wrong side, but I was in a hurry for this quick photo op, and the dock-edge strip is soft and non-scuffing.

Best,

Cliff
Paul, Cliff, and All:
Yes, Paul, I saw it too. A fingerprint, in the shadow of the gunnel overhang, on the starboard side near the helm wheel!

Well Done, Cliff. I am envious.
Jerry

June 27th, 2012, 7:35 pm #4

Thanks, Jerry and Paul, for your kind words. I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. Unfortunately, it's not done (is it ever?)

As info, with restored 13 x 11" prop, clean bottom and just me in the boat, the little CC 283 roars easily to 4,600 rpm. (I assume with more weight and a little crud on the bottom, it'll drop down a couple hundred rpm.)

Here's another photo. Pardon the sloppy fender placement -- it's just easier that way!

Best,

Cliff

Paul
Paul

June 27th, 2012, 8:43 pm #5

Hey you should get a 13x12 and a 13x13 and try them both. Try the 13x12 first perhaps in a cupped version. 4600 is too high an engine speed.

best,

Paul

June 28th, 2012, 1:52 am #6

Best,

Cliff
Norah probably cannot appreciate how cool having a boat named after her really is. Make sure if you ever part with the boat you keep a record of who it goes to. Norah will be married with her own kids some day and just might want great grandpas boat to make some more memories. She's a lucky girl.
As for the boat, I must admit I didn't care for the Skiff/Corsair style much at first but as much as I love the Lancers, I'm starting to really lust after these Corsairs. Even the wood skiffs are really sexy. I don't have my EG with me at the cottage but I suspect the production numbers of the glass Corsair boats are less than 10% of the Lancers. Scarce is an understatement. What a beauty. I might just have to think harder about that last production skiff I found.
Nice job!

June 28th, 2012, 2:19 am #7

Craig --

Many thanks for your thoughts. You're absolutely right about the memories and the coolness of having a boat named after you. norah is thrilled with my decision!

I actually did a naming "reversal" on another, wood Chris Craft I once owned. I named my daughter after the boat, which I purchased used with the name, "Kate" beautifully gold-leafed on the mahogany transom! (The human Kate is Norah's aunt.) She was a 26' CC Cutlass, twin 283's, smooth plywood semi-vee bottom and lapstrake hull. Gorgeous, seaworthy, fast boat, built in Chris Craft's Salisbury, MD factory. Technically a Cavalier division boat, she was well built and fair of line. I used that boat on the Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay back in the '70's. Photos below.

I have always been attracted to "salty-looking" boats, thus the Cutlass and, now, the Corsair.
The latter boat is admired by most boaters, particularly those of "a certain age." I also often get "thumbs-ups" from Mississippi River barge crews as we pass.

Again, thanks for your thoughts.

Regards,

Cliff

Darren
Darren

June 29th, 2012, 2:01 am #8

Paul, Cliff, and All:
Yes, Paul, I saw it too. A fingerprint, in the shadow of the gunnel overhang, on the starboard side near the helm wheel!

Well Done, Cliff. I am envious.
Jerry
Thanks for sharing the great photo! It's good to see someone getting to enjoy their boat on the water! Although my '65 sits on a trailer completely torn apart, this helps remind me that I just need to keep making slow but steady progress when I can and one day I'll get to enjoy mine too. Go Norah!

June 29th, 2012, 3:15 am #9

Darren --
Thanks for the kind words. This is what the Forum does best: INSPIRE!

If my little Corsair project helps motivate you to move ahead with yours, we've accomplished something worthwhile. I gotta tell you, this is one nifty boat, and, aside from the ego boost I get from all the admiring waves and thumbs-ups from passers-by, it is a really wonderful craft with many great characteristics, including huge cockpit, excellent sea-keeping qualities, an enduring, classic,seafaring appearance, and responsive performance. What more could you want in a nearly-fifty-year-old boat?

Thanks, again, and onward and upward on your project! I look forward to seeing progress photos.

Best,

Cliff