Recently spruced up 350FLV for XK-22

May 11th, 2018, 9:18 pm #1

Here's step one of restoration of my 1972 XK-22.  I'm in Saugatuck, MI.  The boat is probably 7 out of 10, but after 28 years of ownership, I decided I'd like to make it perfect.  Nothing was wrong with it.  Ran really well.  Step one, restore all mechanicals (new fuel tank, spruce up engine and outdrive).    A local shop took it apart, compression tested, new hoses/gaskets, etc, then paint and plate restoration.  Being dropped in as we speak.   Next step, full exterior restoration.  Thanks to all of you who have helped, especially John who helped me find someone to make a replacement sun pad. IMG_4112.JPG IMG_4111.JPG

May 27th, 2018, 6:53 am #2

Wow, that’s a beauty!
We have just bought a 1971 XK-19 with the same engine but ours has a later serial number then yours...are you sure yours is a 1972 and not a 1971?
Read more on our boat here: XK-19 in Sweden

Pic of engine sign:

May 29th, 2018, 11:03 pm #3

hgger69 wrote: Wow, that’s a beauty!
We have just bought a 1971 XK-19 with the same engine but ours has a later serial number then yours...are you sure yours is a 1972 and not a 1971?

Pic of engine sign:
Hi there.   Yes, definitely a 1972.   As a kid, I remember it on the showroom floor at our lake in Ohio.   The original owner who bought it new painted the bronze areas "brown" before it ever hit the water.  i'm taking it back to bronze/red.   IMG_1501.JPG I think CC did weird things with engine numbers (or so I've heard).

I'll send you picts of the exterior resto...it's going in this week and will be complete by July 4.   

June 20th, 2018, 7:58 pm #4

hgger69 wrote: Wow, that’s a beauty!

Pic of engine sign:
well, it may be on the edge of 71 and 72.   after stripping it for painting, no original red strips with the bronze, which I believe from my brochures was a 1971 characteristic.   Now prepped for painting! IMG_4368.jpg

June 29th, 2018, 12:56 am #5

Hey LadyKXK (whoever you really are)!
Greetings from the soggy South and one of the few XK-22 owners in these parts besides Mike DeLayo down in Ft. Liquordale, uh, Lauderdale who has been posting here his progress on his restomod project. 

Built in 1972, our #77 production boat is a survivor boat that I bought out of Port Huron in 2015. As far as I can determine all finishes are original which may shed some light on the correct paint scheme for yours if that is of interest to you. Here's the foredeck when I first got the boat, showing the narrow striping set away from each side of the wide brown stripe and the effects of weathering and buffing. It looked red. 
foredeck stripes pre paint.jpg

But close up in the next photo, you can see brown paint too. My guess is this was a color change at the factory to distinguish the '72 models from other years as the 1971 XK brochure shows all brown stripes. 
foredeck stripe pre repair.jpg
Chris-Craft brochure 1971 w XK-22 2.jpg
Here's the foredeck after I restored the red striping, a color combination that I feel does a fine job of complementing the brown elsewhere.

foredeck striping, dash XK-22.jpg

In the photo below just above the nearly buffed off boot stripe is a well worn red pinstripe that suggests its been there a looooong time. Original? Maybe. The swim ladder I added after seeing an old one like it on John Bakke's 1973 XK-22. Garelick is still making them and a good alternative to fixed mount stern ladders or swim platforms for keeping the boat look uncluttered.

P8050035.jpg Maybe there are other's out there who have info they can share to verify if this was the color scheme that year among those added later. 
To close it out, a gratuitous glam shot of our XK-22 just a few weeks ago getting ready to launch at the ramp.
Skol!
Craig
IMG_1088 copy.jpg
photo of XK22 brochure.jpg

June 29th, 2018, 12:24 pm #6

Hi Craig...thanks for the info.  We've spoken before on this forum...you were huge help by hooking me up with John Bakke with the sunpad (I worked with him to have one made for my XK and it looks beautiful....thank you!).    My XK is from Ohio...I remember it when it was sold new on Buckeye Lake, OH, and watched it go up and down the lake as a kid.  Before me it belonged to Dave Thomas, founder of Wendy's.  I've owned it since 1994.    I've enjoyed it "as is" for many years, but now that I boat on Lake Michigan, the XK only gets dunked a few times a year, so I decided to restore her.  When new, the original owner painted over the bronze w/a darker brown.   

The resto was just done this week, she will be put back together next week.  Will likely have finished photos in a month or so. :)   When the restorer removed all trim and sanded down, I saw that there wasn't a red strip on this boat.   Clear evidence that the way she left the factory was just bronze, no red.  The bow stripes were all bronze, and no ancillary red waterline stripe, just the bronze boot.   Even though I've only known the boat with the red stripe, I decided to take it back to original.   So, fluffed engine, outdrive, new gas tank, new sun pad, and now all new hull/topsides.  The dash, gauges, and upholstery are all original and in perfect unmolested condition, so I left them.   She's almost ready.  I will post picts when I'm done.  Thanks for all your help.  BTW, you gave me John Bakke's email before, but for some reason after all the emails he and I exchanged, I can't find it....would you mind PM'ing me and resending?  I have question for him.   Thank you for all your help.  Maybe our XKs will one day meet!  best,  Tim

July 5th, 2018, 4:44 pm #7

Current status...paint and buffing nearly complete, reassembly begins.   I took a some liberty with the white and bronze in the restoration...honors the original yet with a fresh approach.  I'm super excited as I watch Lady K come back together.
IMG_4494.jpg IMG_4493.jpg

July 15th, 2018, 12:45 am #8

Who did the engine work? I'm wanting to do something with the 307 QLV that's in my '73 Lancer and I would love to talk with your builder. Thanks!

July 21st, 2018, 1:32 am #9

It's great to see another XK22 being restored. I also own a 72 model and I had to restore the interior when i bought it and I changed from the chocolate brown to a light gray and blue interior. I also changed the waterline, bottom paint and deck stripe to blue. I wanted to update the look a bit and figured the light gray would be a whole lot cooler in the sun compared to dark brown.

I know it's not original colors, but I didn't do anything that I can't change back if i want to restored her back to factory  colors.

Your restored engine looks awesome, but I do have one question. I noticed on your distributor that there is a vacuum advance on it. Mine has a Mallory Dual point distributor and I believe from my papers on the boat it is original from CC. So I was wondering what distributor that is on your engine.

R. Michael
Ohio

July 23rd, 2018, 11:46 am #10

Hi R. Michael.  Where in Ohio are you?  My boat was from Buckeye Lake (where I am from). 

I'm afraid I don't know about the distributor...this type has been on since I've had the boat in 1994.  I've attached the build sheet, but can't see a notation about distributor.    Thanks for asking.