Pulling a SBC from a Lancer Sterndrive

Pulling a SBC from a Lancer Sterndrive

Eric Jensen
Eric Jensen

June 13th, 2010, 10:54 pm #1

The weather was a bit rainy today so my friend Mike and I headed over to the Lancer and pulled the engine. Easier to do than I would have guessed. Easy enough that I'm kicking myself for not doing it right out of the box. Anyway, pull the 4 bolts from the Chris Craft mounts in front, 6 bolts in the bell housing, pull a few hoses and a few wires and away it goes!

Edit Comment: Photo of the Day added, and the link that follows will take you to the paint shop where this 23' Lancer received a brilliant aqua hull color and bright white topsides. There are some great interior shots too, WOW ! I want one ! Paul
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1262235140

Here is the original photo documentation of the boat when it was just acquired
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1226773486
Last edited by FEfinaticP on June 15th, 2010, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John Kloka
John Kloka

June 14th, 2010, 5:30 pm #2

My mechanic informed me that this is much easier to take out than re-install!

Eric Jensen
Eric Jensen

June 14th, 2010, 5:34 pm #3

Dave Krugler
Dave Krugler

June 14th, 2010, 6:05 pm #4

Another warning is putting that engine back is is WAY MORE EXPENSIVE LOL. But Eric- the entertainment value for the dollar can't be beat. If you have a wife and kids you get to tell them "Honey- I'm so sorry but we can't go to Vegas this year cause I gambled on the boat and lost my wages there". And "Son, how would you like to learn about boat motors this summer instead of going to football camp? I can teach you how to save a lot of money by fixing your own boat!" I should know, I'm guilty as charged. I am now about a spark plug change away from being done with the Sea Skiff. Before I get married next month it should be out of our garage in Port Huron and in it's new home in the UP. My fiancee has been VERY PATIENT since making the mistake of telling me I could work on the boat in the garage in Port Huron. I don't think she knew 3/4 of the garage would be occupied for 10 months and that the sawdust and noise would reach the farthest recesses of the house. In all seriousness when you take something like one of our beloved boats and restore it to good running order the enjoyment factor really is spectacular. Good luck with that engine. I watch your posts with a good deal of interest...

Dave

Paul
Paul

June 14th, 2010, 7:25 pm #5

You could be telling little Johnny that he isn't going to college because dad spent all the money on those new IVECO common rail diesels!

These photos are from Warren Pateman's restoration of the 38' Express, where he spent what is thought to be the better part of a half million dollars, and who joked with us that he was spending his children's inheritance. This humor was in keeping with his humor, and the boat restoration gave Warren great comfort and a place to put his mind as he battled cancer. In the end he did get to enjoy the entire process and the finished product too, and the family eventually sold the boat and recoverd much (not all) of the dollars spent.

Keeping things in their proper perspective, none of us are going to get too burned working on a little ole runabout! Gentlemen, forge ahead! ( If I was really mean, I'd say "you too Eric", but I do know for a fact that Eric is a true gentleman by the way he conducts himself on this forum. It's Jerry I'm really worried about.....anyone heard from Jerry recently. Jerry? Drop us a line! )

Regards,

Paul

James Brunette
James Brunette

June 15th, 2010, 1:08 pm #6

That's for sure, of all the issues we have to tend to pulling a motor like yours Eric is a chore but I think you would agree (from seeing some of your other postings) this is far above some of the other issues you have faced. The good news is, the motor is pretty simple, should be pretty straight forward on the rebuild or repair. When the time comes to reinstall it, rest assured that after a few hours invested it will be beer time.

Good luck with the mechanicals, looks like you have everything else in great shape, and I am looking forward to seeing photos of this boat on the water. The outdrive makes a lot of sense on these boats. Hope yours gives you trouble free service.

JB

Dave Mehl
Dave Mehl

June 15th, 2010, 1:17 pm #7

The weather was a bit rainy today so my friend Mike and I headed over to the Lancer and pulled the engine. Easier to do than I would have guessed. Easy enough that I'm kicking myself for not doing it right out of the box. Anyway, pull the 4 bolts from the Chris Craft mounts in front, 6 bolts in the bell housing, pull a few hoses and a few wires and away it goes!

Edit Comment: Photo of the Day added, and the link that follows will take you to the paint shop where this 23' Lancer received a brilliant aqua hull color and bright white topsides. There are some great interior shots too, WOW ! I want one ! Paul

Quite the showboat, but as a user boat I like yours better. I also like the price you paid better too.

http://www.antiqueboat.com/boatdetails/adam23c.aspx

Dave

Paul
Paul

June 15th, 2010, 1:45 pm #8

Well they sure picked a nice hull for the whatever you would call it, "retro-rat-rod"? They'll be able to run it with very little concern about the hull leaking, needing sealant, planks, etc., but at WHAT PRICE !!! No doubt the man-hours that went into that boat are astronomical, second only to what Eric is putting into his. While it would be fun riding around in a "poseur" like that, I would have to get a couple heavy gold chains (which I can't afford), a hair transplant (which I can't afford and don't want), a Super Bowl ring on my left pinky, and then in the end I think I would be much more comfortable driving a nicely restored Lancer in original condition. Am I nuts? That question need not be answered, thank-you-very-much.

Regards,

Paul

Mike W
Mike W

June 15th, 2010, 2:25 pm #9

I saw this in Cinci last year when I was down there for a day. Interesting to say the least and as you mentioned there are many ours in this.

June 15th, 2010, 3:00 pm #10

In case anyone has forgotten, Eric has a nice Hatteras Yacht with Chris Craft 427 power, hauled one out in pieces, and it went back in pieces too (I think twice!!). This may become known as the Jensen Fitness Program !!

Compared to that big block Ford, this Lancer small block Chevy should be a piece of cake!

Regards,

Paul