Paul
Paul

May 20th, 2006, 11:58 am #11

Your comments are (all) appreciated. Without contributions from many contributors this collaborative sharing of information would not be possible. Thanks for your spectacular documentations, because it may well have been postings like yours that initially got the attention of the editors at Motor Boating Magazine.

The circulation for the magazine is something like a million or a million-and-a-half, not including counter sales at news stands. Since people with Commanders will probably be notified about the article, if they don't subscribe, I suspect there will be a lot of additional readership on the forum, and I've already seen the page reads literally double in two days and the curve (actually a spike) is on a steep climb upwards. On a day when we would normally see 1,000 pages being read, all of a sudden it's 2,000, for instance. All of those readers will see the great posts and photos people have shared here, and many of them will be able to benefit from the information. "Fun and Sharing" are the two reasons for the forum in the first place, thanks for helping out in a major way on both accounts.

Working with John Clemans was a major "FUN" factor.

Regards, all the best!

Paul

EH
EH

May 21st, 2006, 5:34 pm #12

I have heard of this article for about 2 weeks now but have not been able to find a copy of the magazine locally. Today I found it has been posted to the Motor Boating web site at this link.

http://www.motorboating.com/motorboat/f ... 79,00.html

Congratulations Paul and Janet you are truly two most deserving people of such recognition and a definite asset to the Chris Craft Community.

Mark Weller

Edit comment: Back in 2006 when this article was published The Forum web site was getting around 1500 pages read per day as noted in the article. Today, March 3, 2018, the pages accessed around the world each year are in the million(s), and increasing each year. It’s amazing how much interest there is about classic Commanders, and I know this web site has only scratched the surface !!

edit comment: Article scans added
edit comment: Link to Motor Boating Magazine home page added
Well I thought this forum was actually kind of special, but to attract the likes of Motor Boating Magazine is quite remarkable. Congratulations, and thanks for hosting this web site. I have used it as a reference for many issues, and it is worth its weight in gold bullion for anyone who owns a Commander.

Give my best to your bride!

Ernie

Brian Smith
Brian Smith

May 22nd, 2006, 2:16 pm #13

I grabbed a copy of the magazine this weekend and was expecting a small article on a half page or something....nobody told me it was the "centerfold"!

I certainly got a lot of mileage out of that this weekend at the marina.
"Hey you know this magazine that covers all the new boats ? Check this out."

Responses we're categorically similar... "THAT'S YOU'RE BOAT !"

Well, not quite but....
Not many 40 year old boats get covered like that.

While they may still think I'm crazy for other reasons.... they now understand why I own a Commander.

Thanks Paul!

Regards,
Brian

Paul
Paul

May 22nd, 2006, 4:28 pm #14

Hi Brian,

The phone has been ringing off the hook and we've received emails from all over the place, some shared here, many not. The forum is here for two reasons: "fun, and sharing of information". Comments like yours are payment far in excess of the small amount of work it takes to host something like this is well worth it.

It was a royal "blast" to be out on the Cumberland running around like a couple of kids in a high powered vintage boat. I'm sure John Clemans and Bill Winn (our good friend and expert captain on the Hatteras)were having fun too.

I don't know if you noticed the one photo where they were right behind our boat looking in over the aft deck, while we were under way? In order to get that shot, we were asked to "just maintain a steady course down river", and they brought the Hatteras right up behind our boat, pacing us perfectly, and allowing John to get this shot.

I thought to myself "ohhh Lord, please don't let the motors fail now"!! Looking back at the Hatteras bearing down on us, about 10 feet away, was one of the more awesome mental images I have of boating. I wanted a photo of John standing out there on the bow pulpit, but I was there to DRIVE and not to take photos!

Here's a thread with more photos of John in action. http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1147911014

I don't know how many people are able to see the videos we shot, but here's the thread. It has a couple videos that help tell how much fun we had.
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1144340041

vintage boating is a blast.

Regards, Paul

EH
EH

May 22nd, 2006, 5:06 pm #15

The "father and son" story is just fine stuff. A little dangerous I think, but what an awesome experience for father and son. THe reference to the Hemingway "old man and the sea" is cool too. If anyone has not seen this yet, I recommend reading it. Here is that link again
http://www.motorboating.com/motorboat/f ... 35,00.html

Ernie

Edit Comment: It is noted here for the record, that since the article was published MOTOR BOATING MAGAZINE was sadly (eventually) discontinued. It has been acquired and incorporated into "YACHTING MAGAZINE" now, and it is uncertain if the vast digital files that existed for MOTOR BOATING are still available somewhere under the new YACHTING management and web umbrella.

A recent search through the YACHTING database did provide some nice (recent) articles from John Clemans, and here is that link. http://www.yachtingmagazine.com/find/John%20Clemans

regards,

Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on March 25th, 2014, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.