Paramount 47' 427 repower to Crusader 8.1

Paramount 47' 427 repower to Crusader 8.1

Norm
Norm

December 10th, 2010, 3:57 pm #1

Hi Paul and All,

The 427's are out and in heated storage. The new engines have arrived and they do look pretty well though out and put together. We are gutted pulling out the original FoMoCo engineering brilliance to replace with these new engines - no great history here anymore.

Doug the master mechanic and shipwright has built a simple model of the engines to set in on the beds to check for positioning on the shafts. We had to order new shafts to bring them further forward to raise the height of where they couple, without removing the entire top stringer.

It works out better to bring the engine into the middle of the bed, the new transmission the Herth 8º down angle is so much shorter then the Paragon we were almost flush against the bulkhead with very little room to access the rear of the engine, transmission or coupler.

So for a quick three boat units longer Aquamatt shafts are being turned. This increase the strength over stainless and increases the safety margin.

Now the rails are trimmed to where they need to be 1/4" aluminum is going to be epoxied in place and through bolted and new lag bolts will be added every six inches. The old lag bolts all came out with some muscle and a bit of heat on a couple - the stringers are all dry as the day they were encased.

Paul
Paul

December 10th, 2010, 5:29 pm #2

Hi Norm,

It is such a shame to see those engines coming back out, knowing how much time has been spent on them and all the hardship Doug has endured.

In times like this I guess it's just best to look ahead and know there will be better days coming, and many smiles to go along with them. I wish you, Doug, and his family all the best with this repower, and I hope PARAMOUNT provides many years of great service to this family. Keep us posted on the continuing saga. We want to be there to see those smiles!

Regards,

Paul

Eric Jensen
Eric Jensen

December 10th, 2010, 7:20 pm #3

Hi Paul and All,

The 427's are out and in heated storage. The new engines have arrived and they do look pretty well though out and put together. We are gutted pulling out the original FoMoCo engineering brilliance to replace with these new engines - no great history here anymore.

Doug the master mechanic and shipwright has built a simple model of the engines to set in on the beds to check for positioning on the shafts. We had to order new shafts to bring them further forward to raise the height of where they couple, without removing the entire top stringer.

It works out better to bring the engine into the middle of the bed, the new transmission the Herth 8º down angle is so much shorter then the Paragon we were almost flush against the bulkhead with very little room to access the rear of the engine, transmission or coupler.

So for a quick three boat units longer Aquamatt shafts are being turned. This increase the strength over stainless and increases the safety margin.

Now the rails are trimmed to where they need to be 1/4" aluminum is going to be epoxied in place and through bolted and new lag bolts will be added every six inches. The old lag bolts all came out with some muscle and a bit of heat on a couple - the stringers are all dry as the day they were encased.

This looks to be a good one, and you have done a nice job on the documentation with the previous work (won't go into that right now)

I've seen several conversions done using the down angle transmissions and they seem to always require a fair amount of stringer cutdown, which seems a little counterintuitive at first. However, the mechanics at the marina where I over-winter mentioned that the old paragons and and velvet drives had output shafts well below the centerline of the crankshaft (which varied with the reduction) and that provided some advantages with the mounting of the engine. Anyway, looks like you're in good hands. Looking forward to the updates.
Eric

December 11th, 2010, 12:06 am #4

Doug and all;

The PARAMOUNT will sure handle and preform better, and of course there is the new value in one fine Commander. Not to mention fuel savings.

Great job, looking forward to seeing more.

Glenn
FDA-36-039

Norm
Norm

December 15th, 2010, 5:11 pm #5

Hi Gents, Thanks for all of the positive vibes and good wishes! It will be great for Doug and the family to burn lots of gas instead of coming in on a single engine as he has most outings the last two years.

Let the good times roll...

Here are the beds made and ready for the engines to "drop" in at noon.

Dr D has done a great job on the aluminum stringer caps. The old through bolts in the stringers were all replaced and new lag bolts installed. The levels have all been triple-checked - but we will still hold our breath - easy to add in a shim - big trouble if we are too high...

I'll update later today.

The final painting will be completed after the engines are in and buttoned down.

December 15th, 2010, 5:55 pm #6

Hi Norm!

If I am ever fortunate enough to own a larger yacht - this is my favorite one. It seems most of the 47's have the extended hard top or flybridge, which I don't care for. For my money, this one is perfect. The right amount of shade in the wheelhouse, and a sunny aft deck for my sun worshiping significant other.

You've stated your and other's sadness over losing the 427's and the history they hold. Well heck - what joy is there in limping home several times on one motor? I think it is fantastic this beauty is getting modern power. Fix the 427's and put them on static display somewhere, but ENJOY the 8.1's at a fraction of the fuel burn.

One of the pics you posted earlier showed the 427's being pulled. Did some of Paramount's bulkhead have to be removed to create that size opening?

Thanks!

Kevin Bray
'06 CC Launch 22
FXA-31-4049

Norm
Norm

December 15th, 2010, 11:21 pm #7

Hi Gents, Thanks for all of the positive vibes and good wishes! It will be great for Doug and the family to burn lots of gas instead of coming in on a single engine as he has most outings the last two years.

Let the good times roll...

Here are the beds made and ready for the engines to "drop" in at noon.

Dr D has done a great job on the aluminum stringer caps. The old through bolts in the stringers were all replaced and new lag bolts installed. The levels have all been triple-checked - but we will still hold our breath - easy to add in a shim - big trouble if we are too high...

I'll update later today.

The final painting will be completed after the engines are in and buttoned down.
Good Day Commanders!

We have gotten far too good at this ;-(

Gord was his usual sure-thumbed wiz. To answer Kevin's question yes the bulkhead was removed on the one side of the companionway. As you can see in the pic we had 34" and we only needed 33" so we had lots of room. And not a scratch! Phew!

As you will see in the second to last picture the alignment looks spot on! Dr Doug's plywood model was the go.

New shafts arrive tomorrow and she can go back in the drink to have the final alignment and electrical completed. Great to have them in place and with all going well Doug might be able to go for a New Year's Eve cruise.

Greg Gajcak
Greg Gajcak

December 16th, 2010, 1:57 am #8

Norm and Doug,

Beautiful job there! Those Crusader 8.1's sure look great in the 47's Engine Room. We all look forward to hearing about your first run with the new power. I feel confident that you will rest well knowing you are starting with zero hours. Seems like an excellent match for that spectacular 47. She sure is a very gorgeous boat.

Norm
Norm

December 16th, 2010, 3:35 am #9

Doug and his beautiful bride Mrs T (high school sweet-hearts and the T stands for trouble in the most fun-sense) will finally get to enjoy their beautiful gal. As Mrs T said; "we tried" to save the original cool motors and were let down.

Paramount is my favorite boat bar none.

Norm
Norm

December 30th, 2010, 2:53 pm #10

Hi Paul and All,

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Dr D has worked his magic. Doug and Mrs T have opened the champagne. Miss P is almost ready to leave the dock for her first run with the new engines.

Her exhausts are out of the water with the loss of engine weight, previously she sat with the exhausts about 1/3 under water, the new sound is awesome - I'll get a video when we go for the sea trial.

The mechanical tach drives have been saved therefore the original tachs have been retained with no modifications necessary. Nice hardware and the instructions came complete with a photograph of the 8.1 with the install info.

Dr D made some nice support brackets for the extended f/g exhaust tubes, which allowed the collector to be placed further aft keeping the transmission and shaft coupler easy to service.

Finding all the right sized hose and elbows was not possible in the new silicon products, here Dr Doug has made a collar inside to reduce the i.d..

All of the gauges have been connected with no modifications. The GPS will be able to display the engine data as well as fuel consumption, range etc.