Paragon transmission rotation (port and starboard)

Paragon transmission rotation (port and starboard)

Bryant
Bryant

September 17th, 2017, 8:45 pm #1

I have a 1963 Constellation that originally had 283Q's and in 1974 was upgraded to 350Q, I have had both blocks completely rebuilt the only original parts are the block and crank, getting ready to have them reinstalled. I decided to have the drives done as well. When I picked the drives up from the shop, they both had tags on them which I failed to read, now I see neither is marked port or starboard. They just say fill with ATF. My concern is are they directional or interchangeable?

If they are directional, is there a way to determine which is for the port or starboard prior to installing them…. I would appreciate any suggestion that you might have!

Thank you
Bryant

Roger Z
Roger Z

September 18th, 2017, 1:25 pm #2

Look at the face plate of the transmission. The fwd end of the transmission that has the input shaft should have rotational markings on it. if Im correct, those gears should have the pump that will switch direction of the output flange by turning the pump.

Michael H
Michael H

September 18th, 2017, 1:27 pm #3

They are not Reversable, the reductions are directional, also the reverse actuator has to be swapped to the other side. The reduction unit is the biggest problem to changine the rotation.

James G
James G

September 18th, 2017, 1:29 pm #4

My direct drive p31s have a rotation markings on the face with the splined shaft side (the side that mates to flexplate)

Cliff W
Cliff W

September 19th, 2017, 1:31 pm #5

The only way to be sure to me would take them (4?) to a engine/transmission shop and have them inspect them and have the mount them properly. A mechanics manual may have the answer for you also.

Michael H
Michael H

September 19th, 2017, 1:32 pm #6

The indexing of the pump should tell him which rotation they are.