Original equipment aluminum cannister fuel filtgers on small and big block motors

Original equipment aluminum cannister fuel filtgers on small and big block motors

Paul
Paul

February 13th, 2012, 6:23 pm #1

These are a cleanable and re-usable filter and they are often overlooked. They are used on the small block motors and the big blocks alike. My 327F powered 1966 Sea Skiff has them and my 427 motors do too. They are cleanable.

On the Skiff I opened the drain plug on the bottom and the filter was so full of sediment that nothing came out the open bottom of the canister. Upon taking the device off and looking, I found at least a 1/2 inch of junk nicely layered on the bottom of the filter housing. A little carb cleaner did the trick.

However, there is something that is overlooked on these filters and this is the o-ring. This o-ring stands between you and fuel in your bilge so it is prudent to look at the condition.

The photo below was taken last night as I put my cell phone down under the opened canister and took a photo of the o-ring so I could see it. I suppose I could have done this with a mirror but the cell phone was there and it is a VERY useful tool in working on boats. Here is what I found.

The o-ring just did not look right.

Therefore based on what the photo looked like, I pulled it out and this is what I found.
That tubular device in my hand next to the o-ring is the actual filter stem that fits inside the canister.

I am planning on keeping this filter operational on the boat, but I am also going to use two other filters; one is a big RACOR water separator type to get all the crap that is sure to be in an old boat tank, and then after the fuel also goes through this one I will use a final filter bolted directly to the carb just to be sure there are no pieces of junk coming off the fuel filter itself.

Regards,

Paul

Dave Mehl
Dave Mehl

April 5th, 2012, 7:57 pm #2

Mine are totally trashed, just wondered if anyone had a stock of these things sitting on a shelf somewhere.

Dave

Paul
Paul

April 5th, 2012, 8:44 pm #3

Dave these may be available somewhere but I've never seen anyone commenting on them or selling parts for them. If yours are trashed then they really serve no purpose on the boat because they just create more joints and fittings for fuel to leak from. I am a strong fan of the Racor type fuel and water seperators, in a 10 micron range. In addition, I like a hardwired filter right at the carb as a last resort. If your Bendix units are trashed, unless you are going for originality and I doubt that will buy you anything in a Commander, maybe something in a woodie, I would toss these old style filters and use a Racor + bolt-on filter at the carb. I would avoid splicing in a filter in the pressurized line fuel hose, however.

Maybe someone knows if and where the internals to the old Bendix can be acquired?

Regards,

Paul

Mike G
Mike G

April 6th, 2012, 12:07 am #4

I replaced my sediment cups on my 327Q brand new. When I bought the Lancer they have a shorty style, they look exactly the same just shorter than the 327's. They wont spin on. I was able to find a new shorty one that was chromed. Unable to find any more for a spare.

Dave Krugler
Dave Krugler

April 6th, 2012, 6:14 pm #5

Dave these may be available somewhere but I've never seen anyone commenting on them or selling parts for them. If yours are trashed then they really serve no purpose on the boat because they just create more joints and fittings for fuel to leak from. I am a strong fan of the Racor type fuel and water seperators, in a 10 micron range. In addition, I like a hardwired filter right at the carb as a last resort. If your Bendix units are trashed, unless you are going for originality and I doubt that will buy you anything in a Commander, maybe something in a woodie, I would toss these old style filters and use a Racor + bolt-on filter at the carb. I would avoid splicing in a filter in the pressurized line fuel hose, however.

Maybe someone knows if and where the internals to the old Bendix can be acquired?

Regards,

Paul
Midwest is a wholesaler and they carry a good stock of OEM Chris Craft parts. 586.778.8950 They won't sell directly to you but will sell thru Mike's Marine Supply right up the street from them. Call Midwest and ask them to just see if they have the filter element and get the part number. Tell them you will order thru Mikes and call Mikes at (586) 778-3200 and either go to 24910 Jefferson Avenue St. Clair Shores, MI 48080 if in the area or ask parts department to order from Midwest and UPS to you.