October 23rd, 2013, 1:52 am #71

Those were amazing times for boat builders and designers.

Paul
If anyone is feeling REAL ambitious.

It's a Wynne hull. That's about the end of the good news. It needs it all. Probably "free"". At my boat yard. This is the type of boat nobody would be upset to see as a rest- mod.
Would look like this one.

Mike
Mike

December 31st, 2013, 9:17 pm #72

It appears they (Chris Craft) produced an "Offshore" model in 1970, 1971, and 1972, and 578 hulls were built.

I really don't see a lot of differences between the Offshore and the basic Lancer that started production in 1966 but the Offshore has stripes on the decks and potentially a blue (depending on year I guess) hull side color.

Other than some minor trim features I think the "Offshore" was just the basic great 23' hull being sold under a new and different spin.

Any 23' hull out of this Lancer or Commander line is going to be basically the same wetted area, naturally the inboards have a prop pocket erouded out of the bottom, but other than that they're all basically the same great performing hull. All Offshore models had the 307 QLV motor

Regards,

Paul
So nice to find this postings. I have a 1973 lancer 19 that a friend gave to me. No one wanted the thing. The engine was a mystery to me but thanks for the pic. The question I have is do you know if Christ Craft made an Offshore 19 footer? The motor you show is what my boat has in it.

It needs lots of work and I expect to have it wet in about 2 years. Someone stole the seats out of it but the hull is sound and all the badges are there and the windshield is complete.

mike

Mike
Mike

December 31st, 2013, 9:24 pm #73

It appears they (Chris Craft) produced an "Offshore" model in 1970, 1971, and 1972, and 578 hulls were built.

I really don't see a lot of differences between the Offshore and the basic Lancer that started production in 1966 but the Offshore has stripes on the decks and potentially a blue (depending on year I guess) hull side color.

Other than some minor trim features I think the "Offshore" was just the basic great 23' hull being sold under a new and different spin.

Any 23' hull out of this Lancer or Commander line is going to be basically the same wetted area, naturally the inboards have a prop pocket erouded out of the bottom, but other than that they're all basically the same great performing hull. All Offshore models had the 307 QLV motor

Regards,

Paul
So nice to find this postings. I have a 1973 lancer 19 that a friend gave to me. No one wanted the thing. The engine was a mystery to me but thanks for the pic. The question I have is do you know if Christ Craft made an Offshore 19 footer? The motor you show is what my boat has in it.

It needs lots of work and I expect to have it wet in about 2 years. Someone stole the seats out of it but the hull is sound and all the badges are there and the windshield is complete.

mike

January 1st, 2014, 12:20 am #74

Curious what about your boat has you asking. Post some photos please. We are nautical voeyers.

February 23rd, 2016, 12:03 pm #75

my kinda boat!

Paul
As I understand it this is Hull #1. She was at The Sunnyland Festival last year (2015) on land display. She is owned by Scott and Bob DeNisco I believe. What a beautiful restoration.

February 23rd, 2016, 11:09 pm #76

If anyone is feeling REAL ambitious.

It's a Wynne hull. That's about the end of the good news. It needs it all. Probably "free"". At my boat yard. This is the type of boat nobody would be upset to see as a rest- mod.
Would look like this one.

I have a friend, Troy Hersom, who has one!
Hopefully we will get a close look at Tavares this year!

Regards,
Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on February 23rd, 2016, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 22nd, 2016, 11:18 pm #77

good with a little opinions and advice. I am beginning to lean against keeping the engine an "run till it blows" There is a couple of things making it hard to make up my mind.

1. I am not afraid of the fact that the engine is mounted backwards but it may make things more expensive and complicated to maintain. The circulation waterpump is leaking - is this standard or special pump because of backwards mounting?
The cooling system seems a bit complicated to me. If i want a freshwater system would it be possible to mount a modern standard one?

I am in Sweden so it is more expensive for me to to get special parts from US ( both freight and 25% tax costs)

2. In the end, if I know myself, I want to check the transom (if the wood is wet or not), paint under the engine etc etc so the engine must out anyway at some point. I am in no hurry and want this to be a properly done renovation with an original look and a boat to admire but not at "any" cost. I do not want a boat which always needs fixing and not are reliable. This is "additional" boating for me, first priority is (if I dare to mention this)- sailing.

Anyone have an idea of top speed with this 275 Hp motor? Around 40 Knots?

Pictures coming

Thank you all for engagement and opinions

//Peter
I put a 350 / 300 hp fuel injected. Running a 19x23 SS on a 1:61:1 volvo 280 PT. Last season with two people on board, including me we hit 49 mph with a half a tank of fuel. The trim is not working yet. I think maybe mid fifties with the trim in order. Looking forward to that day. Good luck!

January 7th, 2018, 4:04 am #78

The Lancer is a very close cousin to the Chris Craft Commander. After all, the 23' Lancer and the 23' Commander share the same hull forms.

Here's some info that should give us all a bigger appreciation for this awesome Chris Craft line, especially after having seen John Kloka snag one that looks like the owner spent every evening rubbing on another layer of carnuba.

And now.............drumroll please,

here is the Lancer, as promoted in the 1966 Chris Craft lineup!

Here's the 23' Lancer Offshore model ! ( 1971 model )

more Lancer stuff in next post.......................

Paul
I recently acquired a 1971 Lancer 23' Offshore. It appears to have the original 307QLV, which does not start. The PO also added quite a bit of extras. I'm in the process of stripping off the extras and non-original bits and pieces. However, it's hard to know exactly what to toss and what to keep given that the hull card is currently not available. My ultimate plan is to pull the engine, rebuild, paint the boat the original colors (gray hull, white topside), and bring it back to its former glory.

I've already learned alot from lurking on the forum. I will be posting when questions arise, which I anticipate to be quite often. I will post some photos once I go back and review how to post photos...

Last edited by ccfan2010 on January 7th, 2018, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 7th, 2018, 5:29 pm #79

I'm assuming a PO modified the exhaust from thru outdrive to thru hull. I'm inclined to change it back to its original condition. Plus, I'd prefer less noise.

Paul
Paul

January 7th, 2018, 5:48 pm #80

I recently acquired a 1971 Lancer 23' Offshore. It appears to have the original 307QLV, which does not start. The PO also added quite a bit of extras. I'm in the process of stripping off the extras and non-original bits and pieces. However, it's hard to know exactly what to toss and what to keep given that the hull card is currently not available. My ultimate plan is to pull the engine, rebuild, paint the boat the original colors (gray hull, white topside), and bring it back to its former glory.

I've already learned alot from lurking on the forum. I will be posting when questions arise, which I anticipate to be quite often. I will post some photos once I go back and review how to post photos...

Many people would call that a user boat now. If you have some vintage electronic equipment like Ray Jeff, for instance, or some other period equipment, you might want to keep that just because it was from the era. Some of the old stuff is junk, but I kept a vintage 30-watt hailer on my 38 Commander and it works great and has a cool look. As you get into your project send us some additional photos and we'll help in any way we can. The 23 Offshore is a great model.

Regards,
Paul