OCEAN STAR now on Lake Lanier, GA

OCEAN STAR now on Lake Lanier, GA

Paul
Paul

August 16th, 2011, 2:12 pm #1

Rey sent in the photo below, Holiday Marina, Lake Lanier, last weekend..

Here he is getting the feel of the ole 38 Commander Anchor Pull, which is sort of like some of those competitions on the Worlds Strongest Man Contests. In this situation I nudge the boat forward in a slow coast, tighten the slack, and let the inertia unhook the hook.

Here is the boat in its former life on Lake Michigan, then called GROSSE ILE.

regards, Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on August 16th, 2011, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 17th, 2011, 3:30 pm #2

Paul and all,

I am very much looking forward to seeing her out there cruising Lake Lanier! Maybe we can raft up together sometime. We still have water but it is going down again. We are approaching 6' down from full pool because of another significant drought across the south, and Ga., Fl., and Al. are "negotiating" over the water rights. Praying for alot of rain!

On a side note, I spoke with a marine furniture manufacturer in S. Florida about making a new sectional sofa for my boat. He laughed and asked "what is going on with Chris Craft boats?", because he has had many requests from people who are restoring them in the last year. He said it was interesting because he thought they had died away and about all he did for awhile were Hatts and Bertrams. I don't think Chris Craft will never "die away"! If anyone on the forum know of companies who manufacturer marine furniture I would be interested in talking with them. Thanks!

anonymous
anonymous

August 17th, 2011, 3:53 pm #3

Hey Greg. Where are you on the lake? And what do you have? I am at Port Royale Marina (f/k/a LanMar Marina). At LanMar there's also a 1967 40-something aluminum Roamer. I have seen two other Commanders at Holiday as well as a large really nice looking Connie. There is also another wooden Chris Craft at Holiday, about 40 ft. or so, but it's a miracle that one is still floating. I am sure there has to be many more--we should try to inventory the fleet! 6 ft. down is good. Don't want to ever go back to 22 ft. down! The channell to the old Starboard Marina at Flowery Branch is about 20 ft. deep, which meant people there were high and dry last year. Port Royale is fortunately very deep (46 ft. at my slip, 40 ft. today). As a result, marina changed ownerhsip but don't know who would want to keep boat there, but lots of people do. BTW, new restaurant there, however, is pretty good. Rey

August 17th, 2011, 7:38 pm #4

Hey Rey,

We are at Aqualand and I have a '86 360 SF. I wondered where the Ocean Star was berthed, good to know. I will look for you out there and yes, I have been to Fish Tales and the one at Port Royale, we like to eat well! My boat wont go under that bridge at Flowery Branch, so we go there in our skiboat. There is a 31 Commander called "Disco Volante", a 42' Commander at Holiday, several Catalinas, and still a few Cavalier survivors around. A 35' Sea Skiff recently sunk and they raised it, towed it to a lift, drained all fluids, pulled the 327 engines, crushed it and put it in a big dumpster. I removed as much hardware as I could until they ran me off, ha. Sad to see but the EPA was involved and there were no takers.

I am looking forward to meeting you and seeing that beautiful "Ocean Star"
Greg Mason

ReyPas
ReyPas

August 17th, 2011, 10:43 pm #5

I think I saw the 31 a few weeks ago. That hardware is hard to come by! Since I don't have a fb, i make it under that bridge! they are serving decent food at that place. Havent eaten at the Port Royale place yet, even though its been there for a couple of years. Disco Volante is an interesting name...Hopefully will see each other around some time before winter. Rey

ReyPas
ReyPas

August 31st, 2011, 6:19 pm #6

Paul, last Saturday my family was busy, but I wasn't so I went for a quiet cruise by myself. I cruised to Aqualand Marina and Greg's 36 was easy to spot--very nice boat by the way; TLC is evident. So got close and got to meet Greg, his wife and kid for a few minutes. The Forum bringing CCC owners together that otherwise would not have met. I am sure we will raft up at some point in a cove somewhere. Thanks for all you do with the forum. And hace a great labor day weekend. Regards. Rey

Paul
Paul

August 31st, 2011, 10:28 pm #7

Rey, I appreciate the comments, this sort of information and introduction is just part of the fun of boating. I have met a LOT of great people through this hobby, and it is a part of my lifestyle more than ever now. Boating is supposed to be fun, and it generally is except for those times when it is really hot and you are adrift and the motor won't start, ha!

I just checked the stats this month, and with 6-1/2 hours to go today before the month of August is over, we have officially 113 countries tuned in this month, and no contact with Afghanistan since Jerry is home. No contact with Libya either, in case anyone is interested. I'll post the entire listing later this eve.

Regards,

Paul

August 31st, 2011, 11:52 pm #8

Paul, last Saturday my family was busy, but I wasn't so I went for a quiet cruise by myself. I cruised to Aqualand Marina and Greg's 36 was easy to spot--very nice boat by the way; TLC is evident. So got close and got to meet Greg, his wife and kid for a few minutes. The Forum bringing CCC owners together that otherwise would not have met. I am sure we will raft up at some point in a cove somewhere. Thanks for all you do with the forum. And hace a great labor day weekend. Regards. Rey

I was on the dock Sat am and looked up to this gorgeous 1967 38' Commander come cruising toward me in all her glory. She really is a pristine, unmolested classic in bristol condition! It was very nice to meet Rey and don't let him kid you, it is pretty hard to find me in a huge marina like this because they claim to be the largest inland marina in the country, there are a bunch of docks, trust me, and I am on the last one back in a cove. He had to work at it to find me unless he just got lucky, ha. I took this pics with an iphone and I'm kicking myself for not grabbing a better camera with zoom. But even so, ya'll can tell she is a nice one. I enjoyed meeting Rey and viewing Ocean Star up close, we will be getting together for a raft-up at some point, I'm sure. Maybe we could get something started by including some other Commander owners for a group raft-up, that would be very cool. Thanks for coming by Rey and looking forward to meeting your family!

Greg Mason

ReyPas
ReyPas

September 1st, 2011, 1:45 pm #9

Are you kidding? In an ocean (in this case lake) of Sea Rays, Carvers, Meridians, Bayliners etc. like Lake Lanier, I can spot a Chris Craft, any Chris Craft, 10 miles away! Not hard at all. It's funny. We were in Plymouth, Mass this summer. There must have been 300 boats moored on the bay and as I am getting out of the car I tell the kids, there is a commander way out there, look at it. They didn't believe me and when we got to the edge of the dock where the fake Mayflower is docked, there it was, a 41 with bridge. I took pictures. I will send them to Paul once I down load them. Regards. Rey

Todd
Todd

September 6th, 2011, 2:46 am #10

We have had a few boats -all of them very special in some way. This Chris Craft was our favorite.

Most of the credit for her condition goes to Don and Keith Fielder of Grosse Ile, Michigan. Their skill and resourcefulness is evident all over the boat. Example: By design, the rear main bearing on the Chris Craft Model 300 (427) engine spins out a drop or two of oil when running. Some of it will make it onto the flywheel. On a long hot run some of that oil will get out of the timing-light hole in the top of the bell-housing and spray the underside of the engine hatches. Solution?...The Fielders fabricated a shield over the hole -with a small glass reservoir to contain the oil. The annual maintenance list called for cleaning out the ounce or two of oil that accumulated. There was a piece of fire-rated carpet (fitted and served) between the engines - it was off-white.