NEWS FLASH......Another Chris-Craft KLOKANUTS !!!!!!

NEWS FLASH......Another Chris-Craft KLOKANUTS !!!!!!

Paul
Paul

August 26th, 2012, 1:09 am #1

Well guys, looks like John finally got religion, he is baaaaack in a 23' Chris Craft Lancer. Word on the street is this 1971 one-owner boat has been hoist kept and never spent overnight in the water! In keeping with all the boats John has owned, this one also washes and waxes itself.

Hope to get photos soon!

Regards

Paul

John Kloka
John Kloka

August 27th, 2012, 2:56 pm #2

I quite literally stumbled upon this boat last weekend, and before I even got on board I owned it! This ia one owner boat: 1971 23 Lancer Offshore, 307QLV Transdrive. Absolutely all original, including canvas. There is not a screw or hole anywhere that isn't from the factory. The nice folks who let me take her home kept this little gem in a covered hoist since day one. She doesn't even have bottom paint! I'm hauling her out today for a thourough detail and polish, as well as new canvas.
Here are a couple of pics... I'll post more later in the week after polish.

Paul
Paul

August 27th, 2012, 3:36 pm #3

I'm sure whatever you paid for it was worth it, sheesh.

Nice find, and welcome back to the wonderful world of classic Chris-Craft ownership. This is always twice as nice to have a very well kept boat, but the real fun part is if that well maintained boat is a classic.

Regards,

Paul

Paul
Paul

August 27th, 2012, 3:40 pm #4

Hey John,

We would love to get some speed verification data off that transdrive model. We have some good data for the inboards, and they are just up to the 35-mph mark but not breaking by, just under around 34 right now historically. The transdrive is supposed to be more efficient so if you could one day give us a bit of data on speed, power, and rpm.

Looks like fun to me. I like this older model better than the newer one you had a while back.

regards,

Paul

John Kloka
John Kloka

August 27th, 2012, 6:53 pm #5

At this point, The only measurement I took (before batteries failed in GPS) was 3200 RPM, and speed of 28.5 MPH. The boat is powered with the 307 QLV - 200 HP.

Paul
Paul

August 27th, 2012, 7:20 pm #6

......no way to really know until we get real data. If you project that out in linear fashion with a straight ratio, speed potential is 37.4 at 4200 but that obviously is not taking into consideration the logarythmic nature of more friction with higher speed, etc., slippage, etc.

best,

Paul

August 27th, 2012, 8:44 pm #7

The yard that launched the 23' Lancer's here in Stockholm in the late sixties, measured the speed of every Lancer before delivery to the customer and I belive also fuel consumption. With the 283, 185 hp the transdrive version reached between 34 - 36 knots (39 - 41.5 mph).

At a Lancer meet a couple of years ago the owner of a 23' with the 307, 200 hp claimed a topspeed of 37 knots (42.5 mph). My 23' with a later Volvo Penta 350 /260 hp will do 42 knots (48 mph) just after launching, right now its down to 40 knots(GPS). 290 drive unit with powertrim and DuoProp.

The 25' w 2 x 150hp V6 engines should manage approx 36 knots (41.5 mph).

The 19' I had 10 years ago mangaged 42-43 knots (48,3 - 49,5mph) w the original 307/ 200 hp/ 280 drive unit. A change to 290 Dp added a knot or 2 making it reach just above 50 mph!

Paul
Paul

August 27th, 2012, 10:50 pm #8

I'm going through your numbers and some of them seem optimistic.

I don't see where a 185 horsepower transdrive setup would push a 23 six miles per hour FASTER than a 235 horse inboard 23 Lancer that has a 50-horsepower advantage. Mike Gibson's boat is probably as close to original spec as it gets, with as good a tune and bottom as possible, making about 34 mph. You would not think a boat with FIFTY less horsepower would be six miles per hour faster, unless there really is a huge efficiency factor there???

If these numbers are realistic, then the transdrive is way more efficient than I ever thought.
By posting this note it is not intended to suggest your numbers are wrong, they just look very strong.

Regards,

Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on August 28th, 2012, 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Verne
Verne

August 27th, 2012, 11:02 pm #9

I quite literally stumbled upon this boat last weekend, and before I even got on board I owned it! This ia one owner boat: 1971 23 Lancer Offshore, 307QLV Transdrive. Absolutely all original, including canvas. There is not a screw or hole anywhere that isn't from the factory. The nice folks who let me take her home kept this little gem in a covered hoist since day one. She doesn't even have bottom paint! I'm hauling her out today for a thourough detail and polish, as well as new canvas.

Beautiful unrestored piece! That's the way I like to find old Chevys. Preserve its originality at all costs. They're only original once and there are very few of them. They don't have to be perfect; they are the benchmarks by which future restorers will know how to bring one back correctly.

Glenn F
Glenn F

August 28th, 2012, 12:14 am #10

John,
You did good, we are all looking for barn finds.

Glenn