New Owners of a 1964 Express 38.þ

New Owners of a 1964 Express 38.þ

Jerry
Jerry

November 29th, 2007, 11:04 pm #1

Hello all:

My wife Nadia and I just purchased a 1964 Chris Craft Commander 38 Express with the flying bridge. The boat number is 296641 and is named "Ahoy Bubba".

We think she is hull number 10. We are changing HER name to "Summer Palace" and will try to placate the Gods accordingly. We ship out of the South River at Annapolis and will get her refitted some this spring.

She has two 454's in her and needs a good cleaning job on the interior. We put her in the river last week and she is doing well at the dock. Look for us next summer on the Bay.

Jerry and Nadia Namken

edit comment:

Here are some additional threads showing more photos of Jerry and Nadia's 38' Commander restoration project.

Big dogs coming out
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1203816564

New big dogs arrive
http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/t ... 205261223/

Last edited by FEfinaticP on March 13th, 2008, 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

November 29th, 2007, 11:23 pm #2

A big "WELCOME ABOARD", and congratulations on your new acquisition.

Be ready for lots of compliments. The 38 is a beautiful boat, and Janet and I sure love ours. Temperatures are going to be up to 69 degrees here on Sunday, and we hope to be out on the water.

The numbers you posted are not the hull ID numbers. They may be your registration numbers.

Look for something like this

FXA-38-3004-R

(That's the ID numbers to our 1966 38'Express).

I'll look up the likely numbers later this eve and post em, unless someone with a copy of the Essential Guide beats me to it. Your boat most likely came with a pair of big block Lincolns, as noted in this great test report of an early 1964 boat (See following link) http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1173461961

You can find your ID numbers on the brass plaque inside your electrical cabinet. On your model it is probably located right behind the galley in side the electrical cabinet. It looks like this

The FXA part signifies that it is an Express model.

3004 means it is the third year of production, which began in 1964, and it is the 4th boat built that year.

The "R" signifies that it was built at the "Roamer" plant (Holland, Michigan).

You may well find some pencil marks on some of the parts too. Look around carefully, you'll find something.

Regards, all the best with the new boat, let us help you any way we can

regards, Paul
forum moderator

Tom Slayton
Tom Slayton

November 30th, 2007, 1:15 am #3

Welcome Jerry and Nadia, and congratulations for joining the ranks of the Commander owners. Paul is right about that serial number.

The Essential Guide (The Chris Craft Essential Guide, by Jerry Conrad, Mariners Museum) shows the serial numbers for the first year of Commander Express production (1964) are as follows.

FXA-38-001 to FXA-38-050

and for 1965

FXA-38-2001 to FXA-38-2060

As you can see, there is nothing listed like the numbers you mentioned, so I agree, those numbers represent something other than the manufacturers ID numbers.

There were only 50 of these boats built in 1964, and that means you have one of the very first of the breed.

Keep looking for that ID number, and as Paul noted, let us give you a helpful hand if we can.

Tom

Jerry Namken
Jerry Namken

November 30th, 2007, 1:31 pm #4

Tom:
Thanks for the info. I just emailed Paul with regard to his personal message before I found the forum messages. I will find the numbers this weekend and get back to you and Paul with them.

This boat is in unbeliveable good shape. It has been setting for 6 years so we will have to redo the engines, but everything else is usable. I will update most everything in the next couple of years.

I love the flying helm on this boat and noticed it is on the port side. Any known reason for that? The port side is historically known as the owner's side, and that is the automobile steering side here in the U.S. These are my two guesses.

Jerry

Jerry
Jerry

November 30th, 2007, 9:09 pm #5

Hello all:

My wife Nadia and I just purchased a 1964 Chris Craft Commander 38 Express with the flying bridge. The boat number is 296641 and is named "Ahoy Bubba".

We think she is hull number 10. We are changing HER name to "Summer Palace" and will try to placate the Gods accordingly. We ship out of the South River at Annapolis and will get her refitted some this spring.

She has two 454's in her and needs a good cleaning job on the interior. We put her in the river last week and she is doing well at the dock. Look for us next summer on the Bay.

Jerry and Nadia Namken

edit comment:

Here are some additional threads showing more photos of Jerry and Nadia's 38' Commander restoration project.

Big dogs coming out

New big dogs arrive

These were taken when we bought the boat.

Jerry

Tom Slayton
Tom Slayton

December 1st, 2007, 3:13 pm #6

The boat looks solid, with a little peeling paint. Just add TLC, cash, and an owner who wants to have some fun with a restoration, and this boat will easily get lots of compliments again. It is amazing how durable the basic hull and structure is on these big pieces of plastic.

The boat is most certainly "a project", but it is no more of a project that many of us have taken on with our boats, evidenced by the many projects documented here in these pages.

Good luck guys, this is the beginning of something big. It is good to see a Commander like this on schedule for a recycle.

Tom

Mike
Mike

December 1st, 2007, 7:41 pm #7

Hello fellas,

I have been lurking here on the forum for weeks now, and I am looking at a 38' Commander right now in similar condition. I would not even be considering something like this unless I had seen all of the restorations and information here on this web site. The more you look, the more you find. You guys are amazing!

Knowledge is a powerful thing. Support like this is priceless.

Mike
Panama City, FL

Jerry
Jerry

December 5th, 2007, 12:16 am #8

Hello all:

Jerry and Nadia Namken

edit comment:

Big dogs coming out

New big dogs arrive

Jerry

Jerry
Jerry

December 5th, 2007, 12:19 am #9

Here are some more pics.

Regards,

Jerry

Roy
Roy

December 5th, 2007, 12:29 am #10

I know I'll be running the risk of getting Pauls blood pressure up, but one look at that motor gives me the thought, "life is too short". I think this one needs to be a repower rather than a rebuild. Taht exhaust system looks potentially deadly too, those rusted out old salt water saturated mufflers, are likely to give way while you are just lookin at them, not to mention being 50 miles from shore at 3000 RPM. Pull that gen set and send it to the shop. If you're lucky, they can save it. Be real sure to carefully mark all the wires and take photos.

That water heater can be saved, nothing wrong with it that can't be buffed out, lol. Of course you know I'm kidding!

Great photos Jerry, this really shows us what you have to contend with. These kinds of projects are not for the faint of heart. You're not the only one who has taken this route, rest assured, you are with some pretty serious friends here.

Take care,

Roy
Gulf Coast, USA