January 3rd, 2018, 12:58 am #41

As you know I've been working on the 23 Commander all summer and have finally made notable progress. Engine beds have been replaced and all glass repair in the bilge is done including the new shaft tube. Entire bilge bay is painted bright white.
New engine is complete and fired for the first time tonight. She fired right up with no issues, she ran just long enough to check timing and oil pressure. Tomorrow we hook up cooling and start break-in procedure. The new Edelbrock 1409 is awesome just like all the others that I have purchased, no tuning needed and awesome throttle response!I wish I could post pictures!
The sound of a brand new engine starting for the first time is better than sex!

Craig Wilson
When a engine starts for the first time I can actually say yes its better than sex! LOL take a video of it running I think we would love to all see it

January 3rd, 2018, 1:00 am #42

Hi all,
I have about 4 hours on the new engine. She runs fantastic, I can't wait to get it in the boat and get out on the water.
I have encountered an interesting situation. While the engine starts and runs fantastic I have an interesting situation. The engine will not run unless the timing is set to aprox. 25-30 degrees BTDC.
I have tried all the things I know including changing distributor timing, I have checked cam timing and that checks out. I have swapped distributors, timing lights etc., etc., etc.
I don't understand how cam timing can be spot on and yet the engine will not run inside normal engine timing parameters.
I have checked with all the pros I know and tomorrow I will try to contact the engine supplier to pose these questions.
I've exhausted all the ideas I know from past experience, I've never seen this particular situation. I'm hoping someone here has seen this problem and knows hot to address it.

Craig Wilson
sounds like the distributor is off a tooth reset it and you'll be fine, its easy to do or maybe your timing marks are off use the KISS method,
(keep it simple stupid) LOL if the timing chain is off a tooth it wouldn't run good at all, i've been a mechanic for ford for a lot of years, i know engines, now after checking TDC and your distributor and your timing tab might be wrong the only thing left would be they put the wrong distributor in, right hand and left are different but i doubt that
Last edited by Gio0052 on January 3rd, 2018, 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 18th, 2018, 1:53 am #43

The following note was posted by Craig on another web site:

"Hi to all that have been following my new engine timing problem.
My engine now resides at a top notch engine builder's shop. This being the slow season for building racing engines he agreed to take on my problem child engine for diagnosis and eventual repair.
That's all that's been going on lately except for a couple of trips to the Islands for some pre-winter R&R.
I posed a question on the Commander forum and got no replies so I thought I'd try it here for some opinions.
As you know I will be replacing the long (12') exhaust hoses with new, in fact I have decided to use 3" copper pipe instead of wet hose...it's actually a little cheaper and I know how nice the wood boat sounds breathing through copper so this engine should sound even better.
So here is the question for your consideration; Should I run the copper pipe downhill all the way so no water sits in them or should I run them uphill to trap water creating that big block old cruiser sound where it has to build up exhaust pressure to force the water out?
Of course this is all for effect at Idle, anything above an idle will force the water out anyway.

Craig
Craig Wilson
Churchville, NY
Alexandria Bay, NY"

Comment: I don't recall seeing this posted here on The Forum, sorry if we let you down, however, it seems like you got the info you were looking for. Regards, Paul
Hi Paul,
Nice to hear from you all.
In answer to your post, no I never did get any responses to my question about the exhaust.
It's been a very cold past few months here and not much has been going on with my 23 Commander project until just this past Monday.
I finally got a call from the engine shop to let me know that they had my engine on the dyno and would I like to stop over to hear it run...Hell yeah! I cancelled my appointments for the rest of the day and headed over for some octane music.
It turns out that my totally stock GM 350 is producing 270 hp at 5000 rpm with an Edelbrock 1409 right out of the box.
As far as the timing issue it's running 38 degrees total timing advance and the shop says that's Ok. I thought that was too much advance but apparently not so that problem is considered solved.
They offered some advice to consider. First, the engine came to me brand new with the wrong plugs, that problem has been solved. They did not like my aftermarket distributor so that is being replaced with an MSD. Another suggestion was to replace my current aluminum high rise single plane manifold with an air gap dual plane for better low to mid range torque.
I expressed an interest during these repairs to try to increase my horsepower some and so in addition to the above noted improvements I am have a different cam/ lifters/rockers/springs and keepers installed which when done will produce approx. 325 Hp.
I can't wait to hear it run next time!
In other business, the restoration progress has been slow due to the weather but I have replaced the floor, constructed new seat boxes and delivered them to the upholstery shop, designed the new convertible top, arranged for painting the boat in the spring and have the final plan for the remaining work on the trailer. I obtained the new "Nepal Teak" laminate material for the dash and side panels, Found the exact replacement upholstery material for the seats and side panels, found a shop to reproduce the embossed pattern in the seat material, made new battery cables and started work on the new wiring harness.
I'm still looking for the original blue floor covering.
My budget is on life support but what the hey, we only go around once!

I hope everyone had a good holiday season and looking forward to the upcoming spring

Craig
Last edited by 6823 on January 18th, 2018, 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 18th, 2018, 1:55 am #44

When a engine starts for the first time I can actually say yes its better than sex! LOL take a video of it running I think we would love to all see it
When I go to the engine shop next time I will take video to post!

Craig