September 9th, 2017, 4:29 pm #21

Michael Hagler: It wouldn't work at all if they sent him the wrong rotation. The pump on the trans wouldn't provide any pressure, so he would be going nowhere. Also on the flywheel the dimple is at 4deg btc on the 327F and there is a left and right flywheel, they are different.

Michael Hagler: I think the motor needs ti be degreed to find out where tdc really is on his timing marks
LikeShow more reactions

Andy Riggs: I completely agree with using a wheel to degree it. That's the only way to know for sure if the dampener has slipped

September 9th, 2017, 10:34 pm #22

Craig....................What did you order from the motor shop ???

Did you order a reverse rotation motor ?????

I don't think the 23 Commander with V-drive takes a motor that spins opposite rotation, but by virtue of it being turned around backwards Chris Craft (and nobody else) called it a reverse rotation motor. We need to dig into that to see just what it is you got, and then we can take it from there.

When the motor is running, which way is the flywheel spinning when you are looking at it from behind? If it is spinning RH it's an opposite rotation motor. The identical situation from looking at the front for verification, if it is spinning LH when looking at the front timing damper, you have a RH (opposite rotation) motor.

Paul
Hi Paul,
I ordered a reverse rotation engine because that's what I needed to produce a right hand final drive after going through the V-Drive. Looking at the flywheel it turns clockwise.

September 9th, 2017, 10:38 pm #23

Michael Hagler: It wouldn't work at all if they sent him the wrong rotation. The pump on the trans wouldn't provide any pressure, so he would be going nowhere. Also on the flywheel the dimple is at 4deg btc on the 327F and there is a left and right flywheel, they are different.

Michael Hagler: I think the motor needs ti be degreed to find out where tdc really is on his timing marks
LikeShow more reactions

Andy Riggs: I completely agree with using a wheel to degree it. That's the only way to know for sure if the dampener has slipped
Thanks guys, I'm digesting all this info. It's funny how you just keep learning more the older you get! I guess I should have quit when I was 18 and knew everything! HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Craig

September 9th, 2017, 10:40 pm #24

Swap number 1 plug wire with number 8 and let me know what happens.

Edit comment:
(This would click camshaft, now thought to be unnecessary)
Hi Rick,
I swapped plug wires 1 and 8 and the engine fired up and ran, not well but it did run and the timing light showed timing at about 90 degrees before.

Craig

September 9th, 2017, 10:52 pm #25

The 1968 23 Commander came with 327F or 427. The 327F is installed backwards, with flywheel forward, and must spin the transmission Left Hand in order to make the prop spin Right Hand. Therefore the F is a Right Hand (otherwise known as Opposite Rotation) motor.

The 1969 23 Commander came with 327Q or 427. The 327Q is installed frontwards, with flywheel aft, and is mated up to the transmission at what we will call the "front" of the motor. Therefore it is a Left Hand motor because it too must spin the transmission hub Left Hand in order to make the prop spin Right Hand.

We thank Bill Policastro, of GHOST RIDER for this awesome tech info.

Regards,
Paul

September 9th, 2017, 10:57 pm #26

Hi Rick,
I swapped plug wires 1 and 8 and the engine fired up and ran, not well but it did run and the timing light showed timing at about 90 degrees before.

Craig

As the motor sits in the boat, the #1 cylinder would be the one closest to the rear Starboard side, correct ?

Regards,
Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on September 9th, 2017, 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 9th, 2017, 11:47 pm #27

Yes Indeed

Don Hancock
Don Hancock

September 11th, 2017, 12:08 am #28

Does it have a timing chain or gears?

September 11th, 2017, 1:07 am #29

Unknown yet, I was hoping to gather enough information to diagnose this problem without having to take things apart but I'm thinking that will have to be my next move.

Craig

Paul
Paul

September 11th, 2017, 6:17 pm #30

If you rotate the motor in the designated direction, and the valves pop up on que, then it should validate the fact that it is a right hand rotation motor, as you have purchased, which would mean it has gears.

I know why Don was asking, and of course if it has a chain you didn't get the opposite rotation motor you thought you did. I also know why you are thinking about popping the front cover off, and that is to look at the timing marks.

Good luck buddy, you've been through a lot with this one, and I know what it's like because I'm going through a similar issues of a different nature as well. This is a whole lot easier to resolve with the motor out of the boat.

Regards,
Paul