My 1965 Chris Craft Fiberglass Sea Skiff is for sale

My 1965 Chris Craft Fiberglass Sea Skiff is for sale

Dave Krugler
Dave Krugler

October 29th, 2013, 2:44 am #1

Hello to all;

I've decided to sell the Sea Skiff so decided to put an ad on the Commanders site before listing it elsewhere. According to the Michigan watercraft title it is a 1965 model. According to the Chris Craft hull card it is hull number GUA-200-012N powered by it original numbers matching Chris Craft 327-F 210hp V8 serial number 705576. I've probably only put 20hrs on the boat since restoring it and it's time for someone else to enjoy it.

I paid 8,500.00 for boat and trailer and have receipts for over 20,000.00 for material plus about 9mos labor into it. It is absolutely turn-key and I have all kinds of literature for it including parts manuals, 327-F manual, sales literature, Chris Craft hull card, design drawings and wiring diagram from Mariners and a very good file with pictures and descriptions of all that has been done to the boat. It had all new wood and upholstery including correct Nautolex floor coverings and new side panel vinyl trim. It has authentic new shop built front seats built from the info Paul sent me from his original Chris Craft seats. The windshield was totally rebuilt with all new glass, seals, regulators and wiper. The Toast colored Sunbrella canvas is virtually new as the boat is stored in my garage in the UP where the boat spends most of it's time covered with the cockpit cover. The convertible top has been on it a couple of times, side curtains and stern cover have never even been put on the boat since I brought it home from Joe Madonia's canvas shop. The boat was completely rewired with proper fuse protection for everything. It has dual batteries sitting in new hold downs with all new cables and Guest battery switch. It has 2 new bilge pumps one in the bow, one in the stern that have never been run except for testing. The few weeks time the boat has spent in the water it doesn't leak enough to set them off. I built it a new instrument panel with restored gauges from Dale Kocian. Almost every chrome part was re-chromed by Graves Plating. I simplified the added on electronics by replacing compass, speedometer and fish finder with a Garmin GPSMAP 431S with built in depth sounder and thru-hull mounted transducer. The boat has a nice Icom VHF marine radio with Shakespeare fiberglass antenna. The Garmin is mounted to the dash support rod with a Ram clamp mount so there are no mounting holes in the fiberglass and it is not in the line of sight. The foredeck has a nice stainless trumpet horn and period correct Taylor dash controlled spotlight, deck mounted Fortress anchor with rope deck pipe and new anchor rode and 200' of anchor line. This summer I added a good Garelick heavy duty stern ladder that is removable with ball and socket type deck brackets. It has Lenco tabs and the bottom of the hull has never been painted. I also have a spare prop and shaft for the boat.

The engine has all new hoses, rebuilt distributor, carburetor fuel pump, raw water pump, new belts and has been stored with the cooling system flooded with permanent antifreeze. I have new spare rotor, cap, points, condenser, plugs and wires. It has a Carter low pressure electric fuel pump and a water separator.

The trailer is completely rebuilt with new galvanized wheels, tires, spare tire, complete replacement surge brake backing plate assemblies including new shoes and wheel cylinders, new brake lines from front to back new surge brake coupler, new self coiling safety cables, new winch strap, new lights and wiring, bearing buddies, heavy duty dolly wheel and new galvanized fenders. The Easy Loader is a full roller trailer that is very capable, easy to tow and ready to go anywhere.

I'd like to get 16,000.00 or a near offer for the boat, trailer and everything I have for it. Long time members of the Commanders site saw most of the work I did on the boat and I got a lot of help from folks for which I am deeply grateful. If interested please contact me at dkrugler@msn.com or (810)987-0923.

Thanks...

Dave

EDIT COMMENT:

Before anyone reads further, here is a link to the total resoration of this boat.
If you are looking for documentation, there is NONE BETTER than this.

This is a two step link, hop to the first one below and see the note, then hop to
the MEGA THREAD as noted.

Enjoy the show !!!!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1321973337

Regards,

Paul
Forum moderator

Last edited by FEfinaticP on October 31st, 2013, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Jensen
Eric Jensen

October 29th, 2013, 9:54 am #2

But it sure seems like you could have aimed a little higher with your price. Have you thought about entering the boat in a few local boat shows? Just to let everyone know what a beautiful little boat you have there. It would be a big loss to the forum community if we were to lose sight of you and your project.
Eric

Dave Krugler
Dave Krugler

October 29th, 2013, 12:51 pm #3

Hi Eric; Thanks for the nice compliments. I have my eyes on another project, those are what keep me young and keeps my brain moving. I don't want to spill the beans about the next project quite yet but it is marine related and undoubtedly will show up here on the site at some point. I still watch this site a lot and because I don't have an active project at the moment I don't post as much. Some projects or threads I have seen are of particular interest like the use of Carter low pressure electric fuel pumps and the winterizing thread that came around recently.

I tried to pick a price point for this boat that is reasonable for the buyer in a depressed market. I got my money's worth out of this project in the way of smiles and satisfaction but now if I am to get to the next project the skiff has to sell. If it does not for the price I am asking I won't give it away but I need to close a deal on it reasonably soon if I don't want the target project to get away from me. As for me, no matter what happens I am still around the site and will lend a hand where I can...

Dave

Paul
Paul

October 29th, 2013, 1:56 pm #4

Hello to all;

I've decided to sell the Sea Skiff so decided to put an ad on the Commanders site before listing it elsewhere. According to the Michigan watercraft title it is a 1965 model. According to the Chris Craft hull card it is hull number GUA-200-012N powered by it original numbers matching Chris Craft 327-F 210hp V8 serial number 705576. I've probably only put 20hrs on the boat since restoring it and it's time for someone else to enjoy it.

I paid 8,500.00 for boat and trailer and have receipts for over 20,000.00 for material plus about 9mos labor into it. It is absolutely turn-key and I have all kinds of literature for it including parts manuals, 327-F manual, sales literature, Chris Craft hull card, design drawings and wiring diagram from Mariners and a very good file with pictures and descriptions of all that has been done to the boat. It had all new wood and upholstery including correct Nautolex floor coverings and new side panel vinyl trim. It has authentic new shop built front seats built from the info Paul sent me from his original Chris Craft seats. The windshield was totally rebuilt with all new glass, seals, regulators and wiper. The Toast colored Sunbrella canvas is virtually new as the boat is stored in my garage in the UP where the boat spends most of it's time covered with the cockpit cover. The convertible top has been on it a couple of times, side curtains and stern cover have never even been put on the boat since I brought it home from Joe Madonia's canvas shop. The boat was completely rewired with proper fuse protection for everything. It has dual batteries sitting in new hold downs with all new cables and Guest battery switch. It has 2 new bilge pumps one in the bow, one in the stern that have never been run except for testing. The few weeks time the boat has spent in the water it doesn't leak enough to set them off. I built it a new instrument panel with restored gauges from Dale Kocian. Almost every chrome part was re-chromed by Graves Plating. I simplified the added on electronics by replacing compass, speedometer and fish finder with a Garmin GPSMAP 431S with built in depth sounder and thru-hull mounted transducer. The boat has a nice Icom VHF marine radio with Shakespeare fiberglass antenna. The Garmin is mounted to the dash support rod with a Ram clamp mount so there are no mounting holes in the fiberglass and it is not in the line of sight. The foredeck has a nice stainless trumpet horn and period correct Taylor dash controlled spotlight, deck mounted Fortress anchor with rope deck pipe and new anchor rode and 200' of anchor line. This summer I added a good Garelick heavy duty stern ladder that is removable with ball and socket type deck brackets. It has Lenco tabs and the bottom of the hull has never been painted. I also have a spare prop and shaft for the boat.

The engine has all new hoses, rebuilt distributor, carburetor fuel pump, raw water pump, new belts and has been stored with the cooling system flooded with permanent antifreeze. I have new spare rotor, cap, points, condenser, plugs and wires. It has a Carter low pressure electric fuel pump and a water separator.

The trailer is completely rebuilt with new galvanized wheels, tires, spare tire, complete replacement surge brake backing plate assemblies including new shoes and wheel cylinders, new brake lines from front to back new surge brake coupler, new self coiling safety cables, new winch strap, new lights and wiring, bearing buddies, heavy duty dolly wheel and new galvanized fenders. The Easy Loader is a full roller trailer that is very capable, easy to tow and ready to go anywhere.

I'd like to get 16,000.00 or a near offer for the boat, trailer and everything I have for it. Long time members of the Commanders site saw most of the work I did on the boat and I got a lot of help from folks for which I am deeply grateful. If interested please contact me at dkrugler@msn.com or (810)987-0923.

Thanks...

Dave

EDIT COMMENT:

Before anyone reads further, here is a link to the total resoration of this boat.
If you are looking for documentation, there is NONE BETTER than this.

This is a two step link, hop to the first one below and see the note, then hop to
the MEGA THREAD as noted.

Enjoy the show !!!!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1321973337

Regards,

Paul
Forum moderator

Ladies and gentlemen,

I seriously doubt if there is a 20-foot fiberglass Chris-Craft Sea Skiff in better condition than this one
anywhere on the planet, Earth.

I know the person who sold the boat to Dave, Larry Sullivan, becuause it was being tracked here on THE FORUM
before Dave acquired it. The sale price quoted is correct.
The boat was in considerably better condition than mine, as it was running and in "user" conditon.
Mine was a derelict needing "everything" including a transmission.
Dave's boat just kept on getting better; his attention to detail is remarkable, and so are his mechanical skills.

This classic boat deserves to be docked in a private slip at Bay Harbor, Lake Geneva, the Muskokas, or some
exclusive location nearby where it was manufactured in the Finger Lakes of New York.
It would be best to keep it in the USA.

We sure love ours, and any boater with an eye to quality and style will love this boat.
With the documentation of all the work done to this boat, down to the minute details of pressing in another
carbon bearing on the water pump, the price should be established with very little wiggle room. Period.

Regards,

Paul

Here is a fabulous documentary thread, showing "some" of the work Dave has done to bring this one back.
Had this work been done at Macatawa or Norton, the price would be higher and the work would most likely
be of similar quality, as Dave is a master who could easily work at any of the boat restoration shops.

This is a two step link, hop to the first one below and see the note, then hop to the MEGA THREAD as noted.

Enjoy the show !!!!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... ads+%21%21

Regards,

Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on October 29th, 2013, 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 29th, 2013, 3:04 pm #5

Hey Paul I think that thread took on a life of it's own. Between my amateurish bantering and your kind and sometimes corrective moderation it was half the fun of doing the project. The quality of the final (boat) product was greatly influenced by the great help I got from everyone. My goal was not so much to make a show-worthy masterpiece as it was to stick to the original theme that Chris Craft had and as Shaq says on the Buick commercial "WOW- that's a lot more than I expected!"

Thanks as always for the kind comments...

Dave

Paul
Paul

October 29th, 2013, 3:39 pm #6

"Having fun and sharing information".

Well I learned more from you than you did from me so its a fair exchange.

One thing about the 20' inboard Skiff........it sounds like a Chris-Craft from a bygone era, because it is.
We love ours, I was in it last night actually

regards,

Paul

Dave Krugler
Dave Krugler

October 29th, 2013, 5:24 pm #7

Paul- You have the perfect setup, more moderate weather, a dock and it is always nearby. I never left mine in the water for more that about 10days because I would leave it unattended hooked to a mooring ring and as you can see from the last picture of my post it gets rough on Garden Bay. We had a beautiful day before that picture was taken and overnight had a thunderstorm, then the wind started to blow. I lay in bed hearing the wind whistling thru the screens hoping I wouldn't find the boat on the shore the next morning. My mooring anchor held, in fact when I pulled the boat the force of the boat slamming against the rode chain to the anchor set the big Danforth anchor deep enough I couldn't get it up. I wound up a week later in cold chest high water with a 10ft 4 x 4 with an eyebolt thru it to hook the rode chain onto, rolled the 4 x 4 to roll up enough chain to pull the 4 x 4 under close to the ground and used it as a lever to pull that anchor and that was barely enough leverage to get it up.

Dave

November 2nd, 2013, 3:29 am #8

Dave --

It's your choice, for sure, but I hate to see this boat go. You were tremendous help to me when I first joined the forum in 2011 with my purchase of a good runner 1968 Chris Craft Corsair Sea V, a boat with the same hull and many similar parts and characteristics. Both boats came from the Thompson Boat Co in Cortland, N.Y. You and Paul encouraged me to do as much as I could to bring the boat to as good a condition as possible, which I did. But there's no way I came close to the perfection you achieved with this Skiff.

Good luck with your sale and future project, and thanks for your encouragement and help based on experience and skill.

Best,

Cliff
'68 Corsair Sea V

November 2nd, 2013, 3:43 am #9

Dave --

Just as a follow-up, I wanted to remind you what your inspiration -- and that of Paul and other great Forum members -- did for me.

That happiest of days for the boater (one of them); the day I bought it in June 2011

After some sweat equity and yard $$$

Another view

The ultimate payoff: my granddaughter aboard the boat . . . named for her!

Best,
Cliff

PS Boat now has all-new burgundy canvas

Dave Krugler
Dave Krugler

November 2nd, 2013, 11:53 am #10

That's a really good looking boat. I'm up north right now carefully avoiding a jewelry party at our Port Huron digs and have spent some quality time cleaning the skiff all up and tucking it in for the winter. I'm glad my tinkering inspired you and I will still be on this site often even if the boat sells. If it doesn't sell it will get some use again next summer I'm sure. Thanks for writing and posting those pictures.

Dave