November 8th, 2013, 4:18 am #21

Hi Craig; I'm betting some windshields were anodized, some were not. I'm pretty sure mine was. I painted for several reasons. If it was anodized there was no way to replace the anodizing economically at least. Part of my repair was plugging all kinds of unscheduled holes drilled in the aluminum which was accomplished by drilling holes out and tapping to accept aluminum rod to ultimately fill the hole. I coated the threads of the rod with industrial epoxy to keep the plugs in place and fill the slight gaps between rod and frame. Polishing would have been hard because of the remaining anodizing and you would likely see the repairs. Painting was then a logical last step, not real labor intensive, pretty durable over the imperfect extrusions, covered the repairs very effectively, was very cost effective and was done in a day. If your windshield was originally polished and is not plagued with corrosion and unscheduled holes for sure you are on the right track to polish the pieces and I agree, they will look beautiful. Keep up the good work and post a picture of the completed project...

Dave

June 21st, 2014, 6:22 pm #22

Hello to all; Well summer boating season is now in full swing and I have not sold my Sea Skiff yet. I have a potential buyer but he is struggling to sell his 35ft sailboat before he will move on my boat. He has had a couple of lookers but nothing has materialized. If anyone is interested in my restored 1965(66) Chris Craft Sea Skiff with it's restored EZ-Loader trailer please let me know. I'd still rather sell it to someone here. If you are not familiar with what this boat is please start at the beginning of this thread and you can read the selling ad and a lot of other supporting information about this really nice boat.

Thanks.

Dave
Last edited by FEfinaticP on June 23rd, 2014, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 26th, 2014, 7:55 pm #23

Hello to all; I finally got my nerve up and put the skiff on E-Bay today. It actually has history there as that is where I found it listed by Larry Sullivan, the previous owner. It was sitting in a municipal slip in the Grosse Point Woods waterfront park where Larry was using it for fishing on Lake St. Clair. The bottom of this boat has never been painted but it was caked with Zebra Mussels when I got it from Larry. That was it's first and 1 only 2 stops at a marine service store since I've had it, I took it to Performance Marine in Port Huron and they cleaned the Zebras off it. After I was almost done with the restoration it went to Madonia's Custom Boat Tops for canvas. The rest of what has been done since was done by me or the services I sent parts to. I have no delusions of ever recovering what I paid for it but the enjoyment and memories along with the friends I've made here are priceless far beyond any sunk cost. If it sells I will move on to another project. I will keep close tabs on the fun here no matter what. I think it's the greatest website for boaters I've ever seen.

Dave

E-Bay listing link below...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-20ft-Chris ... Motorboats

December 9th, 2016, 6:19 pm #24

Did this boat ever sell?

Paul
Paul

December 9th, 2016, 7:25 pm #25

The boat went to a good home and to Brian Gagnon, who apprediates the history and provenance of this rare fiberglass boat.

It's quite a testament to our fiberglass Commander Cousins, to have a modest little fiberglass boat like a fiberglass Skiff running in such high society company

Regards,
Paul

Paul
Paul

December 10th, 2016, 4:01 pm #26

He got a very good boat !!!
Dave Krugler did a marvelous job.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/thread/1411325164

Regards,
Paul

December 30th, 2017, 3:34 am #27

Hello to all;

I've decided to sell the Sea Skiff so decided to put an ad on the Commanders site before listing it elsewhere. According to the Michigan watercraft title it is a 1965 model. According to the Chris Craft hull card it is hull number GUA-200-012N powered by it original numbers matching Chris Craft 327-F 210hp V8 serial number 705576. I've probably only put 20hrs on the boat since restoring it and it's time for someone else to enjoy it.

I paid 8,500.00 for boat and trailer and have receipts for over 20,000.00 for material plus about 9mos labor into it. It is absolutely turn-key and I have all kinds of literature for it including parts manuals, 327-F manual, sales literature, Chris Craft hull card, design drawings and wiring diagram from Mariners and a very good file with pictures and descriptions of all that has been done to the boat. It had all new wood and upholstery including correct Nautolex floor coverings and new side panel vinyl trim. It has authentic new shop built front seats built from the info Paul sent me from his original Chris Craft seats. The windshield was totally rebuilt with all new glass, seals, regulators and wiper. The Toast colored Sunbrella canvas is virtually new as the boat is stored in my garage in the UP where the boat spends most of it's time covered with the cockpit cover. The convertible top has been on it a couple of times, side curtains and stern cover have never even been put on the boat since I brought it home from Joe Madonia's canvas shop. The boat was completely rewired with proper fuse protection for everything. It has dual batteries sitting in new hold downs with all new cables and Guest battery switch. It has 2 new bilge pumps one in the bow, one in the stern that have never been run except for testing. The few weeks time the boat has spent in the water it doesn't leak enough to set them off. I built it a new instrument panel with restored gauges from Dale Kocian. Almost every chrome part was re-chromed by Graves Plating. I simplified the added on electronics by replacing compass, speedometer and fish finder with a Garmin GPSMAP 431S with built in depth sounder and thru-hull mounted transducer. The boat has a nice Icom VHF marine radio with Shakespeare fiberglass antenna. The Garmin is mounted to the dash support rod with a Ram clamp mount so there are no mounting holes in the fiberglass and it is not in the line of sight. The foredeck has a nice stainless trumpet horn and period correct Taylor dash controlled spotlight, deck mounted Fortress anchor with rope deck pipe and new anchor rode and 200' of anchor line. This summer I added a good Garelick heavy duty stern ladder that is removable with ball and socket type deck brackets. It has Lenco tabs and the bottom of the hull has never been painted. I also have a spare prop and shaft for the boat.

The engine has all new hoses, rebuilt distributor, carburetor fuel pump, raw water pump, new belts and has been stored with the cooling system flooded with permanent antifreeze. I have new spare rotor, cap, points, condenser, plugs and wires. It has a Carter low pressure electric fuel pump and a water separator.

The trailer is completely rebuilt with new galvanized wheels, tires, spare tire, complete replacement surge brake backing plate assemblies including new shoes and wheel cylinders, new brake lines from front to back new surge brake coupler, new self coiling safety cables, new winch strap, new lights and wiring, bearing buddies, heavy duty dolly wheel and new galvanized fenders. The Easy Loader is a full roller trailer that is very capable, easy to tow and ready to go anywhere.

I'd like to get 16,000.00 or a near offer for the boat, trailer and everything I have for it. Long time members of the Commanders site saw most of the work I did on the boat and I got a lot of help from folks for which I am deeply grateful. If interested please contact me at dkrugler@msn.com or (810)987-0923.

Thanks...

Dave

EDIT COMMENT:

Before anyone reads further, here is a link to the total resoration of this boat.
If you are looking for documentation, there is NONE BETTER than this.

This is a two step link, hop to the first one below and see the note, then hop to
the MEGA THREAD as noted.

Enjoy the show !!!!

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1321973337

Regards,

Paul
Forum moderator

Either Dave or Paul,
I'm not sure where this is going!

Anyway, is there a chance you have all of Dave's images archived with a host other than Photobucket? After Photobucket stopped 3rd party hosting, all of Daves pics were lost to me.

I just committed my self to buying a 1966 that has been very well taken care of but needs some TLC to bring it back to show quality. Paul, all your pics are online thru the forum but I'd like to have Dave's for reference too. One can't have too much information.

This will be my second fiberglass Sea Skiff. I had a 1968 back in the late 80's and now that I'm retired, I figure it's the perfect boat for me to cruise up and down the ICW- I live in West Palm Beach.

Thanks,
Marc

December 30th, 2017, 6:18 pm #28

....give me some time and I will have them all restored

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!

Paul

December 31st, 2017, 7:27 pm #29

Thanks
Last edited by good1734 on December 31st, 2017, 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.