* Mike Burdette's 31 Commander Project

* Mike Burdette's 31 Commander Project

Paul
Paul

February 10th, 2006, 4:06 pm #1

Mike was kind enough to correspond with me when I needed information for the newsletter project a while back. Only problem was, our computers just failed to become friends, and I never could get the files to print properly, etc. As a result, the nice writeup Mike sent me never made it to press.......until today!

Since the floppy disc just didn't work, I decided to just scan the text Mike sent and post it here as a feature.

It's a great project story, hope everyone enjoys the photos and writeup. Mike, sorry for taking so long, but at least your efforts to type all this up and send photos was not a wasted effort!

Regards, Paul

And now, a few years later in 2010, this project is still an inspiration to all ! Dnjoy! Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on May 17th, 2012, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

February 10th, 2006, 4:09 pm #2

Can you tell..........Mike is a mechanical engineer?

From a discussion with Mike, I understand those are Volvo Penta heat exchangers he adapted to these motors. NICE JOB!

Paul

Paul
Paul

February 10th, 2006, 9:42 pm #3

Mike was kind enough to correspond with me when I needed information for the newsletter project a while back. Only problem was, our computers just failed to become friends, and I never could get the files to print properly, etc. As a result, the nice writeup Mike sent me never made it to press.......until today!

Since the floppy disc just didn't work, I decided to just scan the text Mike sent and post it here as a feature.

It's a great project story, hope everyone enjoys the photos and writeup. Mike, sorry for taking so long, but at least your efforts to type all this up and send photos was not a wasted effort!

Regards, Paul

And now, a few years later in 2010, this project is still an inspiration to all ! Dnjoy! Paul

Whoever said "a photo is worth a thousand words" sure got it right. This photo says it all. That's one awesome looking boat. Great job Mike!!!

Regards, Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on February 10th, 2006, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom Slayton
Tom Slayton

February 11th, 2006, 12:43 am #4

Put those engines in this hull, someone's going to be smiling. Nice looking boat. Great job on the motors.

Tom

Dave Mehl
Dave Mehl

February 11th, 2006, 1:32 am #5

Whoever said "a photo is worth a thousand words" sure got it right. This photo says it all. That's one awesome looking boat. Great job Mike!!!

Regards, Paul
I love to see projects like that, good stuff.

Hope you already have that one on the water.

Dave

February 11th, 2006, 5:47 pm #6

Regards, Paul

Good choice, nice results too. That progress photo is impressive. It's fun to see one come back like that. Maybe someone will do the same someday with the other boat? With small block power that boat will do just great.

Howard

February 13th, 2006, 2:45 pm #7

Regards, Paul

I'm relaying this photo from Mike. Thanks for the email Mike, great looking install. I understand this was a 427 powered boat initially, and I'm wondering about those engine stringers. I would think CC built all the boats the same, and therefore the motors would be set up to basically be interchangable, just a "bolt in" operation. How did this work for you?

I was surprised a couple years ago when I did a motor swap in a 17' mahogany CC speedboat, that the old 131 Hercules lifted out, and the 327 I got from a CC Super Sport bolted right in place, perfectly.

Regards, Paul

Dave Mehl
Dave Mehl

February 13th, 2006, 4:09 pm #8

Great photo, I wish it was in my boat!

I have the 431 Lincolns and I am thinking about a repower in the next couple years. I started the recent thread about this subject because I was already thinking about replacing the big iron with more efficient small block power. I got a lot of good comments from that thread (thank you again guys!) but now I'm actually looking at a photo of this being done. I am thinking Paul is correct with the idea of CC building a standard hull shape, standard motor stringers, and then letting the actual motor mounts be the variable that allows the various power options to be interchangable. Since my boat was originally offered with small block power, I'm more than interested, since I think this is the way I'll go in the future.

On a resale basis, having my boat on the market with "new" small blocks with 500 hours, or "new" big blocks with 500 hours, wouldn't make much of any difference in the sale price in the future. As a matter of fact, if oil prices continue, the small motor would be better to have, even if the big one offered the same fuel consumption, because it's the perception.

Mike, how did the small motors bolt up? Any special considerations I would need to know about doing this same thing in a 38?

thanks, (great job, by the way)

Dave

February 13th, 2006, 5:39 pm #9

I'm relaying this photo from Mike. Thanks for the email Mike, great looking install. I understand this was a 427 powered boat initially, and I'm wondering about those engine stringers. I would think CC built all the boats the same, and therefore the motors would be set up to basically be interchangable, just a "bolt in" operation. How did this work for you?

I was surprised a couple years ago when I did a motor swap in a 17' mahogany CC speedboat, that the old 131 Hercules lifted out, and the 327 I got from a CC Super Sport bolted right in place, perfectly.

Regards, Paul
I'm in the "been there, done that" category, many years ago, but my knees and back still remember the experience! Good job Mike, I love to see a project like this coming together. It's inspirational, not for me to take on a project like it, but to get off the couch and just do something productive.

Congrats, you should have some fun with this project when it's done, and I trust you're having some fun now, even though it is a LOT of hard work.

Charlie
Commander35
Cape Vincent, NY

Bill Rayson
Bill Rayson

February 13th, 2006, 8:54 pm #10

Regards, Paul
She's a pretty boat, and should really have some "go power" with fresh engines. I love that particular hull design.

BRayson