Mike and Sue Watson's (new) 47 Commander !!

Paul
Paul

April 29th, 2017, 3:10 pm #1

Long-term Forum Members and Readers know Mike Watson is one of the premier owner/restorers of the Commander Super Sport. His work was published in my “Restoration” book, which I do plan to reprint this year. In addition, Mike drove his 35 Commander across Lake Michigan to attend an event at Bay Harbor that I helped coordinate. A personable and quiet guy, who is a great captain and someone who sure helps give the classic boating community a good name.

Mike eventually repowered his 35 from small blocks to some take-out 454s, but when his family (including grandchildren) were all aboard it was evident that the boat size and particular layout was just a bit small for their needs. The Watson’s found a 47 in Florida, and to make a long story short, have already upgraded some of the interior issues and have motored back toward Lake Michigan as far as Green Turtle Bay, Kentucky, at the Land Between The Lakes (the point at which the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers come together and meet the Ohio.

Janet and I drove up to see Mike and Sue last weekend at Green Turtle Bay, and the boat looks great. It is huge. I think the grandchildren are going to think it is as long as a city block. The boat is Cummins powered, runs like a top. We fired up the engines and were going to run it across the impoundment to a new dock space; a car-load of marina workers headed out to meet us on the other end to help get the big boat into the slip, but by the time they got there Mike had already done a nice pivot turn and backed it into the slip. Even though there was a brisk wind, this operation was done, well, like he’s done it before, lol.
Here are some photos from the trip. We look forward to seeing more fun aboard this fine yacht, built the last year of production, and wish the Watson family all the best.

Here is Green Turtle Bay. We moved the boat from the main docks to that satellite covered dock in the upper right. While it was a short run by boat, it was several miles by car, and by the time the marina workers arrived to help Mike get the boat in the slip, we were already tied up snuggly.

And we’re off !!

And we are going to take that slip right next to the black and white boat (wind blowing briskly).

No problem, this guy must have run a boat sometime in his past, either that or it was some sort of divine intervention !!

A good time was had by all. Well our yacht-dog German Shepherd didn’t necessarily like to see us walk away from the car, but she was happy when we got back to the car and she was able to run around a bit, and was a perfect passenger up and back during the road trip. Getting her aboard a 47 would have been a task !!
Mike is already under way with upgrades during the trip northward, finding minor rainwater leaks, replacing pieces and parts here and there, and by the time this boat gets to Lake Michigan, it won’t be the same boat that left Florida.
Thanks Mike and Sue, for having us aboard, it was a fun encounter, the boat looks GREAT and we’re sure you guys will have a blast with it.

Regards,
Paul & Janet

May 1st, 2017, 3:49 pm #2

Wow! Just wow! That's a fine vessel with clearly a highly competent captain at the helm. Wishing them the best of luck on their journey and to seeing more of Timeless as she continues under the caring hands of the new owners.

Thanks Paul.

Craig L

Paul
Paul

May 1st, 2017, 10:11 pm #3

The Watsons are contemplating giving the Mississippi River three weeks to settle down, and then make a run for it.
I'll keep everyone posted on this epic springtime 47 Commander voyage.

Regards,
Paul

May 3rd, 2017, 11:26 am #4

Long-term Forum Members and Readers know Mike Watson is one of the premier owner/restorers of the Commander Super Sport. His work was published in my “Restoration” book, which I do plan to reprint this year. In addition, Mike drove his 35 Commander across Lake Michigan to attend an event at Bay Harbor that I helped coordinate. A personable and quiet guy, who is a great captain and someone who sure helps give the classic boating community a good name.

Mike eventually repowered his 35 from small blocks to some take-out 454s, but when his family (including grandchildren) were all aboard it was evident that the boat size and particular layout was just a bit small for their needs. The Watson’s found a 47 in Florida, and to make a long story short, have already upgraded some of the interior issues and have motored back toward Lake Michigan as far as Green Turtle Bay, Kentucky, at the Land Between The Lakes (the point at which the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers come together and meet the Ohio.

Janet and I drove up to see Mike and Sue last weekend at Green Turtle Bay, and the boat looks great. It is huge. I think the grandchildren are going to think it is as long as a city block. The boat is Cummins powered, runs like a top. We fired up the engines and were going to run it across the impoundment to a new dock space; a car-load of marina workers headed out to meet us on the other end to help get the big boat into the slip, but by the time they got there Mike had already done a nice pivot turn and backed it into the slip. Even though there was a brisk wind, this operation was done, well, like he’s done it before, lol.
Here are some photos from the trip. We look forward to seeing more fun aboard this fine yacht, built the last year of production, and wish the Watson family all the best.

Here is Green Turtle Bay. We moved the boat from the main docks to that satellite covered dock in the upper right. While it was a short run by boat, it was several miles by car, and by the time the marina workers arrived to help Mike get the boat in the slip, we were already tied up snuggly.

And we’re off !!

And we are going to take that slip right next to the black and white boat (wind blowing briskly).

No problem, this guy must have run a boat sometime in his past, either that or it was some sort of divine intervention !!

A good time was had by all. Well our yacht-dog German Shepherd didn’t necessarily like to see us walk away from the car, but she was happy when we got back to the car and she was able to run around a bit, and was a perfect passenger up and back during the road trip. Getting her aboard a 47 would have been a task !!
Mike is already under way with upgrades during the trip northward, finding minor rainwater leaks, replacing pieces and parts here and there, and by the time this boat gets to Lake Michigan, it won’t be the same boat that left Florida.
Thanks Mike and Sue, for having us aboard, it was a fun encounter, the boat looks GREAT and we’re sure you guys will have a blast with it.

Regards,
Paul & Janet
Great boat! Fun People!
Looks like the trip is going well.
Sue: Where are the Mojitos?
I still think Mike could play the lead roll in "The Scott Hamilton Story". Hollywood is calling.
Safe travels!

Troy

Paul
Paul

May 19th, 2017, 5:29 pm #5

And we’re off !!

Regards,
Paul & Janet
Mike is at the boat again today, rivers are still up and running but he is departing tomorrow or Sunday. The trip is north to the Ohio River, downstream (West) to the Mississippi, upstream to the Illinois, and continuing upstream eventually to the sanitary canal and onward to Chicago/Lake Michigan. Prayers and good wishes are requested! There are a couple of "on call" fuel stops along the way (by truck rendezvous.

Regards,
Paul

Paul
Paul

May 19th, 2017, 7:19 pm #6

The 47 Commander is presently docked West of Nashville where the Cumberland meets the Tennessee, at Green Turtle Bay.

Mike will be heading North to the Ohio and then West to the Mississippi.

Regards,
Paul

Mike W
Mike W

May 22nd, 2017, 2:05 am #7

Mike is at the boat again today, rivers are still up and running but he is departing tomorrow or Sunday. The trip is north to the Ohio River, downstream (West) to the Mississippi, upstream to the Illinois, and continuing upstream eventually to the sanitary canal and onward to Chicago/Lake Michigan. Prayers and good wishes are requested! There are a couple of "on call" fuel stops along the way (by truck rendezvous.

Regards,
Paul
Waited for the first lock for 2.5 hours. Really put us behind but made up time on the Ohio going downhill and over the wicket damns because of high water. MS running fast and averaging 6-7 knots. Tough go. Now anchored for the night in a slough. Gen running so all the comforts of home.

Eric Jensen
Eric Jensen

May 27th, 2017, 2:38 am #8

Can you give us an update Mike? How goes the battle against gravity?

ej

Mike W
Mike W

May 28th, 2017, 2:55 am #9

Needless to say running uphill is tough. Uphill in flood stage is another level. Thought about waiting but then discovered two locks on the IL would be closing 6/1 for 10 hours during the day. Had no choice. We are now just south of Joliet and ready to head down the the CalSag then on to the lake. Can't wait to get on the big lake. Have to go tomorrow due to winds the rest of the week. Will cross at night.

Last edited by FEfinaticP on May 28th, 2017, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eric Jensen
Eric Jensen

May 28th, 2017, 1:58 pm #10

That's great news. Like you said. It's a tremendous pull up through that Mississippi section. The Lake is waiting for you. After that experience, what are a few 10 footers? Are you headed to Grand Haven?

ej