Metering rods for carter AFB

Metering rods for carter AFB

Wes Stinson
Wes Stinson

April 28th, 2009, 3:27 pm #1

Looks like the 23' will be going in the water in about 3 weeks... No changes over the winter, except a new starter has to go on (broke a bendix spring)...

Plan for the year is to give her a really good detailing before summer (clay bar and wax), and enjoy it this year.. Im thinking about starting another marine restoration project this summer (not chris-craft related)

Main thing I need to worry about is I need to modify the metering rod on the left side of the motor.. If someone recalls, I was having issues with detonation on cylinder 2. I talked to a friend of mine (who is really experienced in racing chevy motors) saying that SBC's are really prone to detonation particularly on the #2 cylinder. he said the easiest fix is to shave a little off the metering rod on that side so that side gets a little bit more fuel...

Im wondering if there are different metering rods we can get, or if theres any identification for them..

Thanks in advance for any information...

Wes Stinson
68 Commander 23'
FRAV-23-0035

April 30th, 2009, 1:54 pm #2

The metering rods for the Carter AFB afre the same as the Edelbrock carbs. You can buy one of their tuning kits with rods, springs, jets, etc. You can find directions on tuning on their website.
The metering rods are designated by the thick middle and thin end diameters.

Mark Weller
Mark Weller

April 30th, 2009, 8:38 pm #3

Looks like the 23' will be going in the water in about 3 weeks... No changes over the winter, except a new starter has to go on (broke a bendix spring)...

Plan for the year is to give her a really good detailing before summer (clay bar and wax), and enjoy it this year.. Im thinking about starting another marine restoration project this summer (not chris-craft related)

Main thing I need to worry about is I need to modify the metering rod on the left side of the motor.. If someone recalls, I was having issues with detonation on cylinder 2. I talked to a friend of mine (who is really experienced in racing chevy motors) saying that SBC's are really prone to detonation particularly on the #2 cylinder. he said the easiest fix is to shave a little off the metering rod on that side so that side gets a little bit more fuel...

Im wondering if there are different metering rods we can get, or if theres any identification for them..

Thanks in advance for any information...

Wes Stinson
68 Commander 23'
FRAV-23-0035
Wes are you sure that is an AFB carb every Q I have seen has the AVS carb what is the number on it? If it wwas me I would get rid of the metering rods alltogether as they are pretty much useless on a boat the engine is always under load. If it is an AVS here is what you do.
The AVS I have has .077" primary jets & .074" secondary jets, and NO metering rods. Just take the rods out leave the pistons and springs in and put the covers back on. I have one carb that came from carter without metering rods. They changed the marine carbs later on is my understanding.

Paul
Paul

May 1st, 2009, 5:25 pm #4

Hi guys,

It looks like a "F-motor" and not the "Q".

Here's a link, Wes, where you can get metering rods. Let us know how it works for you, what you did, how you determined what to do, etc.
http://www.carbs.net/Carter4.htm

Regards,

Paul

Tom Slayton
Tom Slayton

May 1st, 2009, 5:38 pm #5

http://www.carburetor.ca/pdf_manuals/Ca ... ection.pdf

Here's something I found that may give some insight:
"I've got a 400 motor with a 600 cfm carter afb, stock exhaust, edelbrock manifold and RV cam. It was running rich (tested by revving the motor and a little black smoke came out, it also did not pass the emmisions test). I changed the metering rod from 16-1747 to 16-388 and the primary metering jet from 120-400 to 120-398 to lean the mixture out. It runs great and passed the emmisions test."

To check the metering rods, slowly remove the spring loaded retaining plates so they don't fly out. Pull out the piston, spring and metering rod. The number is stamped on the side of the metering rod. The metering jet is removed with a flat blade screwdriver and the number is stamped on it. It's been a while, but it didn't seem difficult.

Another source of metering rods, note the statement "for Edelbrock only"
http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbsh ... 05&Style=3

More info
http://cars.rasoenterprises.com/Carb-AFB_SetUp.htm

Tom

Wes Stinson
Wes Stinson

May 2nd, 2009, 11:19 pm #6

Thanks for the info, knowing that theyre the same as edlebrock carbs should make things much easier, as Ive got a guy who's got a lot of edlebrock stuff..

Will post up some pics when she's up and going in about a month or so...

- Wes Stinson
68 Commander 23'