Live from Huron, Ohio, Commander Rendezvous ! ( Thursday evening, 15 boats have arrived )

Live from Huron, Ohio, Commander Rendezvous ! ( Thursday evening, 15 boats have arrived )

Paul
Paul

August 21st, 2009, 6:34 am #1

Well now that the big event is now a very pleasant memory for so many, including me, I'm adding this image from Classic Yacht Magazine that gave us some nice publicity, along with a link where you can find the article. The remainder of the post below is as it was when it was posted "Live, From Huron!"

Regards,

Paul

http://www.network54.com/Forum/424840/m ... 1252339291

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2009 Chris Craft Commander Rendezvous at Huron, Ohio, has officially begun this morning, Friday, August 21. There are already 15 or more boats in the harbor, and scores more will be arriving today and tomorrow. The excitement is already way up the scale, will probably continue upward until sometime Saturday. Jerry Namken just called in from Washingnton, DC area, said he departed and was on the road as of 8:00 AM EST, first stop Pittsburgh, second stop Huron, Ohio.

A fleet of boats are on the way from the Detroit area, including Mike Schrage and Terry Hart, along with scores of boats in the Sandusky area. People are continuing to call for dock space, and we encourage you to do so, and Matt is doing everything he can to accommodate everyone. This event will easily eclipse the world record set last year for Chris Craft Commanders in one place, and those of us who are here sense the historic moment being shared with the likes of Chris Smith and Herb Pocklington. As the event continues through the week end, well upload more photos, but afterwards there will be a mass uploading with a more efficient computer system. These images are being beamed to the world from a hotel room a hundred yards from the harbor, the connection is a bit slow, but word is getting out regardless ! Stay tuned. For more images, check the following link throughout the week end.

Thursday was eventful! Finally arriving in Huron, after a on-the-tarmac jet engine cowling inspection, we finally made it to Ohio, in time to experience some heavy rains. Fortunately this stuff blows over, and is short lived.

On the water, there are Commanders like OTTER CHAOS that take waves over the bow, soaking the interior of the cabin. Once in the harbor all is well, and Thursday afternoon proved to be very nice, and the weather was beautifully cool.

OTTER CHAOS, finally safe in the harbor

Here is Steve Spurrier's DEPORTABLE, a great looking 42' Sports Fisherman

Here' is Ron Smoker's SUMMER SONG

DUNROIN

Al Langolis's KIMBERLY ANNE

The Gibson's beautiful 31' Flybridge Sedan, with Mark Weller's 35 DC in the background.

Regards, Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on May 6th, 2015, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Paul

August 21st, 2009, 6:47 am #2

Thursday was a lot of fun, a surprizing number of boats are here allready, met up with lots of nice people, already lots of laughs and great memories. Friday there will be scores of boats arriving. Everyone is excited to see them coming into the harbor. We met Herb Pocklington on the docks Thursday eve, a group of people talked with Herb into the eve, everyone eventually departed to get some sleep.

As Friday unfolds, there will be lots of photos uploaded later Friday eve when we get a chance. We are anticipating the arrival of Jerry and Chris tomorrow, along with 50 or 60 more boats! All of the communications personally and within the Chris Craft Commander Forum, Inc., is paying off now, people are already having a great time, the event is already a success and it's only Thursday!

Regards,

Paul

Last edited by FEfinaticP on May 6th, 2015, 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dan k
dan k

August 21st, 2009, 3:27 pm #3

thanks paul for the great pics
wish i was there. keep up the
great work. for us at home

Paul
Paul

August 21st, 2009, 3:43 pm #4

Hi Dan,

Yes indeed, we're aware that we have a huge international audience of Chris Craft Commander owners, friends, and enthusiasts, and we'll be uploading info when we are able to. Right now I'm sitting in the main downstairs dining room at the yacht club, nobody here but me right at the momemt, working on the link between this laptop and the main (central) TV system at the club. Just got it working so we can actually project the live cam onto the entire inside of the club, do our presentation, and some other cool stuff during the evening programs.

Chris Smith is due here later today, wants his boat in the water, and that will be a real photo opportunity. During times like this naturally, it is impossible to be uploading to the internet, but I promise there will be something uploaded today, and probably again this eve in the wee hours of the morning, ha!

Right now I'm going to walk out of here, across the patio with my video cam and take in the whole scene, will eventually upload that to Youtube so everyone can see how a Commander Rendezvous should be run. Matt and Tim deserve all the credit, they've done all the work. I get to offer an opinion once in a while, ha!

Regards, best,

Paul, live from Huron Yacht Club
Beautiful Lake Erie !!

Paul
Paul

August 21st, 2009, 7:53 pm #5

As promised, a moment taken to upload and post images of the event, now in full swing.

Ron Smoker, otherwise known as "Standard Man" aboard SUMMER SONG

A beautiful 45 TF that arrived while we were having lunch (perch and walleye) at the Yacht Club dining room. Sheesh, they even have escargot on the menu, I don't know what it is, and don't know how to spell it, remember I'm from Tennessee.

Regards, Paul

(stay tuned !!)

Paul
Paul

August 22nd, 2009, 7:28 am #6

Friday Bill Policastro and Chris Smith both arrived with their small Commanders, Bill with his 23 GHOST RIDER and Chris with his MARK I

The harbor continued to fill with boats, and more are on the way!

more photos next posting......................................
Last edited by FEfinaticP on August 22nd, 2009, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 22nd, 2009, 7:38 am #7

August 22nd, 2009, 7:43 am #8

Seeing these gents together on the docks having fun was quite an experience. They were obviously having fun, and we were too!

Regards, Paul
Last edited by FEfinaticP on May 6th, 2015, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 22nd, 2009, 1:07 pm #9

Several people have asked me about the live cam link here at the event, so for everyone's reference, here it is again !

http://www.huronparks.org/webcam-harbor.html

Regards,

Paul

August 22nd, 2009, 4:28 pm #10

no longer valid.
Last edited by FEfinaticP on May 6th, 2015, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.