Lancer 23 Overnighter reassembly; new interior parts

Lancer 23 Overnighter reassembly; new interior parts

May 14th, 2012, 4:04 pm #1

Fellow CC enthusiasts,
Just wanted to share some photos http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/m58 ... reassembly from one of the milestones in the restoration of our Lancer 23 Overnighter model; the interior. Staying true for the most part to the original finishes and colors. The old dark walnut grain laminate was faded and had a strange checking pattern; the old vinyl while serviceable, was tired. New vinyl is Jamaican Sun (amazingly the original foam cushions were in great shape as were the back boards so reused them), grained laminate is Wilsonart "Nepal Teak"; the cabinet top and folding table top has been replaced too. All teak trim has been triple coated/sanded to high gloss. New marine plywood replaces the old and has been sealed w varnish as well as all bottom leading edges are laminated/sealed to stop wicking action into plywood.
Millwork and finishing is by Andy Cash Cabinetry, Dacula, GA. Picking up remaining items in next week including a new dash, glovebox door, foredeck trim boards and V-berth door. The dash; going with a complete set of Stewart Warner "Deluxe" model gauges. Fitting a new helm base to accommodate a SeaStar hydraulic steering system upgrade.
More to come I'm sure

Best regards,
Craig Lindberg

P.S. I saved all the old vinyl w intention to make patterns for those interested in original interior reproductions.

Eric Jensen
Eric Jensen

May 14th, 2012, 6:43 pm #2

This is Lazy Lee, a 1976 23-foot Chris Craft Lancer Entered in the Classic Gas division at the Spring Lake Wooden Boat show. Owned by Joe Lee of Spring Lake.
I've not seen the boat, but I intend to. Apparently a pure survivor.

Eric

Paul
Paul

May 14th, 2012, 7:01 pm #3

Fellow CC enthusiasts,
Just wanted to share some photos http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/m58 ... reassembly from one of the milestones in the restoration of our Lancer 23 Overnighter model; the interior. Staying true for the most part to the original finishes and colors. The old dark walnut grain laminate was faded and had a strange checking pattern; the old vinyl while serviceable, was tired. New vinyl is Jamaican Sun (amazingly the original foam cushions were in great shape as were the back boards so reused them), grained laminate is Wilsonart "Nepal Teak"; the cabinet top and folding table top has been replaced too. All teak trim has been triple coated/sanded to high gloss. New marine plywood replaces the old and has been sealed w varnish as well as all bottom leading edges are laminated/sealed to stop wicking action into plywood.
Millwork and finishing is by Andy Cash Cabinetry, Dacula, GA. Picking up remaining items in next week including a new dash, glovebox door, foredeck trim boards and V-berth door. The dash; going with a complete set of Stewart Warner "Deluxe" model gauges. Fitting a new helm base to accommodate a SeaStar hydraulic steering system upgrade.
More to come I'm sure

Best regards,
Craig Lindberg

P.S. I saved all the old vinyl w intention to make patterns for those interested in original interior reproductions.

Looks good, functional, nice finish, love the wood.

Regards,

Paul

John kloka
John kloka

May 15th, 2012, 1:57 am #4

Fellow CC enthusiasts,
More to come I'm sure

Best regards,
Craig Lindberg

Excellent! Top notch work, indeed! Looking forward to pics of final assembly!

May 15th, 2012, 2:35 am #5

This is Lazy Lee, a 1976 23-foot Chris Craft Lancer Entered in the Classic Gas division at the Spring Lake Wooden Boat show. Owned by Joe Lee of Spring Lake.

Eric
or I need to come down and see this show when it happens. If anyone wants to come up to River Haven or the gravel pit I'd be glad to bring some drink

'71 33' Catalina Coho Sedan under restoration
'85 Bayliner Capri 19' cuddy 3.0L OMC, new deck and stringers
'87 Kawasaki JS650SX
'70 Amphicat 6x6 AATV (future Coho tender)

'74 Buick LeSabre Luxus convertible, '07 Subaru Forester 5MT

May 15th, 2012, 1:48 pm #6

Eric
Eric,
Thanks very much and I appreciate you sharing that info on Joe Lee's "Lazy Lee II". I can only wish I had found one with the gelcoat intact; mine sadly was shot so having it painted. My pockets aren't deep enough for new gelcoat $$$$. I would love to see Joe's boat, it looks amazingly original. Hope it won something! Is Joe a subscriber to this forum?
Best regards,
Craig L

Eric Jensen
Eric Jensen

May 18th, 2012, 5:54 pm #7

http://www.grandhaventribune.com/conten ... -and-boats

There's some information of interest about 2 minutes into the video.

And yes... it won the Classic Glass award at the Spring Lake show.

Eric

May 18th, 2012, 10:19 pm #8

Eric,
Thank you for sharing that link. Very cool that she won something. Glad to see 'glass boats gaining more acceptance among the woodophiles.
Happy Weekend!
Craig

Jerry
Jerry

May 18th, 2012, 11:11 pm #9

Fellow CC enthusiasts,
More to come I'm sure

Best regards,
Craig Lindberg

Paul, Craig, and All:
Craig, what year is your Overnighter 23?
Jerry

May 20th, 2012, 12:45 pm #10

Hi Jerry,
It is a 1978, hull #137.
Best regards,
Craig