Introducing Francois Boulanger and his 42' Aft Cabin ( Philippe's brother !)

Introducing Francois Boulanger and his 42' Aft Cabin ( Philippe's brother !)

Paul
Paul

November 30th, 2009, 10:12 pm #1

Well it sure DOES run in the (Boulanger) family when it comes to Chris Crafts in Montreal!

Francois sent in the note:

"hi my name is Francois,i am the brother of Philippe Boulanger.
I am amazed to see how you can be passionate about commanders .
I am currently working on a 1970 42 the other model as you can see.
I am currently working on a repowering.
I will put 2 cummings diesels 480 horses each.
I will send you photos of the work in progress."

First of all, Francois, it looks as though YOU are the one passionate about Commanders!
Both of you boys are, so it must run in the family!

Congratulations on a great looking boat, the two of them look awesome together, and awesome by themselves.
Very interesting that both you guys selected the same hull, but different topsides.
I would be interested in learning the history of the boats, and of course seeing all of your photos of
restoration, repower, etc.

Regards, best,

Paul

Forum Moderator

Last edited by FEfinaticP on December 6th, 2009, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Steve

December 1st, 2009, 12:17 am #2

Those brothers have some really cool taste for sure, those dark hulls look great. I've wanted to replace the original top safety cable with a wood rail like that for some time now and having seen it on this boat confirms my decision.
Steve Lendzion
1969 42 Commandser
Bear Z Girl

December 1st, 2009, 12:35 am #3

Well it sure DOES run in the (Boulanger) family when it comes to Chris Crafts in Montreal!

First of all, Francois, it looks as though YOU are the one passionate about Commanders!

Congratulations on a great looking boat, the two of them look awesome together, and awesome by themselves.
Very interesting that both you guys selected the same hull, but different topsides.
I would be interested in learning the history of the boats, and of course seeing all of your photos of

Regards, best,

Paul

Forum Moderator

At first all I wanted to do was to stomp my feet, shake my fist at the computer, and say 'not fair'!

But I will say that these boats look fantastic in colors other than the factory white. When they're painted and polished right, it really gives a modern look to these Commanders.

I'm also not a huge fan of radar arches, but I like the way that 42DC looks with that arch.

I also am happy to see that kids will be kids wherever they're from and will make themselves comfortable no matter how nice a ride they're in.

If these two boatowners are not in the woodworking / cabinetry business, they sure as heck know somebody that is. The woodwork on these two beauties is really nice.

Looking at these two pics, as well as countless others on this forum, it makes me wonder. If money is no object - and understanding what it is to take on and complete a labor of love, would you be better off spending the $dough$ ray me on stem to stern restorations / modernization, or just going ahead and buying a new rig (current Roamer40 would be my preference as it most closely resembles the look of what I want in a modern cruiser)? What really are the benefits of renewing something old vs. making old something new (financials aside)?

Oh well, it's a conundrum that I'll not have to struggle with until I cash in my lotto tickets.

Nice boats. Damn nice boats.

Thanks!

Kevin Bray
'06 CC Launch 22
FXA-31-4049

Greg Gajcak
Greg Gajcak

December 1st, 2009, 2:20 am #4

Regards, best,

Paul

Forum Moderator

These 42's are simply crazy nice! This 2 brothers got bitten bad by the boat bug. They appear to be great and enabling each other and help inspire the rest of us. WOW!. It is amazing how many "projects" are out there like this and when we hear about them it seems that "how could we have not known of these commanders". Well I think that there are many more that aren't active online as they likely need to be actively working on get these gorgeous boats in this peak shape that we see here. Fun to see these great shots. Thanks for sharing Boulanger brothers and Thanks to Paul as well.

December 1st, 2009, 2:45 am #5

Regards, best,

Paul

Forum Moderator

I wouldn't be so crass as to ask what the total spend is for each of these fine vessels (I didn't just now did I? ) however I am interested if you are the kind of boat owner who "tracks every receipt" or the kind of boat owner "who doesn't want to know" the talley?

I am the latter and will enjoy my boat even more as I remember less

Great work!

Jim
74 36' Commander
Seattle, Wa

Paul
Paul

December 1st, 2009, 3:24 pm #6

You all know this already. On any budget, people do what they can. They stretch it to the extent they are able to, do their own work, always exceed the budget, and are never but never really interested in seeing what the true cost is.

On my little 20' fiberglass Sea Skiff, paid too much to begin with, shipping costs from NY to TN added to it, but hey, I rationalize due to the fact that I got a trailer too. However, I didn't get a good transmission or exhaust manifolds, poor floor structure, bad steering, instruments needed to be rebuilt, you name it by the time I got done with this project even doing it myself, I surely have a boat now that I can sell any time for less than what I have in it. Thus is the nature of Boatitis.

Of course, when the projects are such high grade as some we've seen, it would be possible to recover a lot of dollars too. I guess it depends on whether you are doing this to sell or to own.

On high end products, as in Auburn and Dusenberg during the depression, they will still sell due to the quality and the fact that there ARE people out there who know quality and are able and prepared to pay. Most of the time when we see projects like these they are dripping with PRIDE and it's obvious the work was done as a labor of love and not as a commercial concern.

Fabulous work, don't you think!?

I want them to teach me how to varnish!

Paul

Byron Smith
Byron Smith

December 2nd, 2009, 12:27 pm #7

Regards, best,

Paul

Forum Moderator

Just finishing swaping 427's to Cummins 6B 370's. Watching with great interest as to how you are going to get C Series into the engine room. The B went thru the side door with the removal of the H/E and alternator. Bet a hole in the cabin top is the only way to get the C's in. The C is 6" taller that the B which would require you to raise the salon floor. I had issues with the exhaust on the prt engine due to the stairs to the aft cabin. I still may have to remove some material from the bottom of the floor panel where the exhaust crosses over the engine.

Right now 7/8 loades I am getting about 18knots at 2400rpm. Just received new digital tachs that have to be installed so I can get the props tuned in.

Good luck, I will be following your progress with great interest.
Also, I went to 1.75 shafts, Earl's has the struts.

Byron Smith\
FBA 42-3019-H
Delray Beach, Fl

James Brunette
James Brunette

December 2nd, 2009, 3:20 pm #8

Regards, best,

Paul

Forum Moderator

Great city, lots of waterfront and marine culture there too. People may not realize how much water they have there, plenty of access to ocean-going traffic, and of course Lake Ontario to play in too.
The think I like about these Boulanger brothers, is the fact that their work showcases the classic boat, and doesn't try to make it into something it's not. These aren't customized boats, they're nicely restored and sensibly upgraded boats, and no doubt ready for another 40+ years.

JB

Francois Boulanger
Francois Boulanger

December 2nd, 2009, 4:14 pm #9

Just finishing swaping 427's to Cummins 6B 370's. Watching with great interest as to how you are going to get C Series into the engine room. The B went thru the side door with the removal of the H/E and alternator. Bet a hole in the cabin top is the only way to get the C's in. The C is 6" taller that the B which would require you to raise the salon floor. I had issues with the exhaust on the prt engine due to the stairs to the aft cabin. I still may have to remove some material from the bottom of the floor panel where the exhaust crosses over the engine.

Right now 7/8 loades I am getting about 18knots at 2400rpm. Just received new digital tachs that have to be installed so I can get the props tuned in.

Good luck, I will be following your progress with great interest.
Also, I went to 1.75 shafts, Earl's has the struts.

Byron Smith\
FBA 42-3019-H
Delray Beach, Fl
Thank you for the interest.
I`gonna stay with the cummins b series.The QSB 5.9-480 hp.They are the new common rail engines with
a range between 230 to 480 hp.Coupled with a ZF-85A transmission with a ratio of 1.95 i gonna be able to stay with the same diameter of propeller 22 inches and a pitch of 29.

The smallest diameter of shaft possible is 2 inches using the best quality available.

I was planning the stuts made by a local machinist.But if you can give me more information about Earl`s i would like to speak with him.

You are right i gonna make a nice hole on the cabin top

I,m expecting to have one knot per 1000 rpm.My crusing speed should be 22 knots at 2200 rpm with a consuption between 7.5 to 9 gallons per hour.

The wot speed should be 34 knots.But on my brothers boat at wot 28 knots we notice that the hull desing start to be at his limit speed.

Photos will follow.

Thanks Francois

December 4th, 2009, 5:08 am #10

Regards, best,

Paul

Forum Moderator

Seriously? Phil and Frank, Do you guys own Canada or what? Does everybody up there lavish their yachts with so much love?

Yours Truly, Chris Wade